Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2023, 07:09 PM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Although CA has the largest population of any state, it's not the most densely populated....not even in the top 10.....
Okay. Tell that to people who have some preconceived notion about CA. Not that they'll bother to read it. Just another way to disparage the state. I'll still enjoy October as it is. Soon enough, temps will be dropping but I'm happy as a clam today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 07:53 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Because it’s beautiful, with perfect weather, and if you have the right job, you can even pay for it, too. You can surf, golf, and ski in the same day. And if you are someone like myself where winter is a real bugaboo, California sounds really nice. But I am biased since I’m from there and if not California, the west is my home and it’s where my people live. My spirit is just lifted out west.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:36 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^ Which bolsters my next point. I think a lot of people on CD who are in other places (differing parts of the 41 other states) who are critical of what they see as a lack of of an adequate response in places that they criticize (some thinking 'we don't have that here') are unaware of Martin v. Boise and how it may impact these areas that they are criticizing when their home areas/where they are.....they don't have to 'put up with' Martin v. Boise.
I agree, I hear it from people out of state all the time, my sister-in-law lives in Missouri and every time she came to California she would do a lot of clucking and pearl clutching about how sad it was that we had to live around all the homeless, but earlier this year she said they are having an awful time with homeless people sneaking in their barns, sleeping there, stealing eggs and sometimes chickens and making a big mess. I don't wish that on anyone but I'm not surprised either, it was just a matter of time

Old 10-06-2023, 07:38 AM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's awesome, everyone should look for the place that suits their lifestyle and you seem to have done a lot of research and found the perfect place to live!
Thanks! Though it's not perfect. Everything in life involves trade-offs based on one's preferences. There's no general "best place" and even though Boise is a way better fit for our family, it still has downsides. Accepting that everywhere will have some issues has greatly improved our overall contentment. I suppose the trick is knowing what one can control and is worth the effort of changing, which is largely about knowing oneself.

There are many good reasons to live in California, but like all places it has issues as well. For those that love living there, I say more power to you! I'm genuinely happy for you.

However, if living there (or anywhere) isn't working, don't be afraid to get out there and explore the world. The US has an amazing range of great places to live. C-D is a great resource to get an idea of what's out there. Road trips are super fun and a wonderful way to get a feel for places. We spent 2 summers traveling the West before landing in Boise -- great fun exploring various cities, but also a ton of family memories at National Parks and other natural wonders.

Old 10-06-2023, 05:01 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Because it’s beautiful, with perfect weather, and if you have the right job, you can even pay for it, too. You can surf, golf, and ski in the same day. And if you are someone like myself where winter is a real bugaboo, California sounds really nice. But I am biased since I’m from there and if not California, the west is my home and it’s where my people live. My spirit is just lifted out west.

^^^ This is my brother who lives in Ventura County where we were raised. He’s owned the same home for 35 years, is an engineer who could have transferred to other states for job promotions but turned them all down unless he could stay in CA.

He is 10-15 minutes from the beach where he did a lot of wind surfing years ago, still goes dirt bike riding out to the Mojave Desert for a day, skiing in Wrightwood for a day or Mammoth for longer periods.

He says he could never live where there’s no mountains and wants his ashes spread in the Sierras or Mohave Desert.

Old 10-06-2023, 06:13 PM

46,957 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I grew up in Scandinavia and never having to shovel snow is worth a whole lot to me. Sailing the year round, too. Watching dolphins as I walk the dogs? Freakin' lifts the spirits.

Doesn't hurt that there's world-class food from every corner of the Earth, great wine, great beer. The Los Angeles cultural scene is mind-blowing. I happen to like opera, and it is on point here. And the desert is but a few hours away, with enough space and sky and silence to soothe the mind.

People travel from around the world to spend a few days in what I am crazy lucky to call home.

Now, if those obnoxious parrots would stop crapping on my car...

Old 10-07-2023, 08:29 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Where else can I find homelessness, crime, lockdowns, high taxes, high gas prices and a sanctimonious d-bag governor all in one state?

Old 10-07-2023, 09:18 AM

612 posts, read 353,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Where else can I find homelessness, crime, lockdowns, high taxes, high gas prices and a sanctimonious d-bag governor all in one state?
Washington, Oregon and NY

Old 10-07-2023, 11:48 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
Washington, Oregon and NY
You forgot Illinois, and Michigan

Old 10-07-2023, 11:49 AM

612 posts, read 353,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
You forgot Illinois, and Michigan
Yeah except for homelessness. It's actually cheap there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California