Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2023, 04:53 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
It’s a 11/2 hour flight from Boise to the beach in OC. That’s practically a drive from Pasadena to Santa Monica beach in traffic.
Quote:
Security is a breeze in Boise. 15 min max from parking lot to gate. If I have someone pick me up at John Wayne and drive straight to Newport Beach I could do it in 2 or 21/2 hour. I like your idea about Cabo though I always have a blast there.
Of course, you know this isn't true. Yet for some reason, you're peddling it.

*BOI-SNA (or any other airport in SoCal - Allegiant only flies to SNA twice/week) - is ~2+ hours, gate to gate. [by the way, not sure why you picked SNA since LAX is literally on the beach, but hey, you do you]
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...028Z/KBOI/KLAX
*Plus arriving at the airport at least an hour before the flight (and be through baggage/TSA by the 45-minutes-prior-to-departure requirement).
*Plus travel to the airport.
*Plus de-boarding and grabbing your bag (~30 minutes).
*Plus an Uber from SNA to Newport Beach, another 30 minutes (yeah, it's only nine miles, but it's 'in traffic' - just like your Pasadena-Santa Monica scenario).

So that's four hours, plus whatever time it takes you to get to BOI.

Do you find this highly entertaining, making claims that are obvious nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 05:15 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,981,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Of course, you know this isn't true. Yet for some reason, you're peddling it.

*BOI-SNA (or any other airport in SoCal - Allegiant only flies to SNA twice/week) - is ~2+ hours, gate to gate. [by the way, not sure why you picked SNA since LAX is literally on the beach, but hey, you do you]
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...028Z/KBOI/KLAX
*Plus arriving at the airport at least an hour before the flight (and be through baggage/TSA by the 45-minutes-prior-to-departure requirement).
*Plus travel to the airport.
*Plus de-boarding and grabbing your bag (~30 minutes).
*Plus an Uber from SNA to Newport Beach, another 30 minutes (yeah, it's only nine miles, but it's 'in traffic' - just like your Pasadena-Santa Monica scenario).

So that's four hours, plus whatever time it takes you to get to BOI.

Do you find this highly entertaining, making claims that are obvious nonsense?
Ah but you're forgetting you gain an hour going from Boise to CA so only 3ish hours time wise.

But seriously pasadena to newport doesnt even have to be 1.5 hrs either depending on what time you leave. what a Boise should be compared to are inland cities like fresno or bakersfield and their access to the beach. reaching on this one Finper

Old 01-18-2023, 05:43 AM

12,851 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Ah but you're forgetting you gain an hour going from Boise to CA so only 3ish hours time wise.

But seriously pasadena to newport doesnt even have to be 1.5 hrs either depending on what time you leave. what a Boise should be compared to are inland cities like fresno or bakersfield and their access to the beach. reaching on this one Finper
And then you will also have to rent lodging, vehicle and last I checked flights still aren’t free? So yea I’ll stick to the coasts if I want beach access.

Also I’ve found California beaches to be really clean

Old 01-18-2023, 05:46 AM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
These are usually absolute dumps.
They are? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...25692238_zpid/

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/fullerto...0#lil-mediaTab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
You can also drive to Santa Clarita or to Claremont and you'll save maybe $100k
Not in Claremont. Median listing price for a 2 BR, 2 BA condo is $716,975.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:08 AM

1,108 posts, read 529,654 times
Quote:
It’s a 11/2 hour flight from Boise to the beach in OC. That’s practically a drive from Pasadena to Santa Monica beach in traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post

if you leave a 2 am you might make it in a hour.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:13 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
California is very urbanized and full of sprawl spreading out everywhere, which means not many rural cities that can be had for cheap
So in other states rural cities aren't the result of sprawl, they just pop up in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason and they are cheap because everyone wants to live in one, right?

Old 01-18-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
BOI to SNA It's actually a 1 hour 53 minute flight. So, arrive at BOI 60-90 minutes before flight to check in and go through security screening. And you still have to get to the beach, wait to deplane and get luggage, rent a car (SNA to Laguna Beach is a 20 minute drive) Yay! You are finally on the beach, the only problem is that by the time you get there that 1.5 hours has morphed into 4 or 5 hours.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:41 AM

12,851 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
BOI to SNA It's actually a 1 hour 53 minute flight. So, arrive at BOI 60-90 minutes before flight to check in and go through security screening. And you still have to get to the beach, wait to deplane and get luggage, rent a car (SNA to Laguna Beach is a 20 minute drive) Yay! You are finally on the beach, the only problem is that by the time you get there that 1.5 hours has morphed into 4 or 5 hours.
Yes and then you do the same on the way back. You’ve paid for a round trip flight, hotel and car rentals. If you’re gonna do that May as well live here. I suspect finper is trolling

Old 01-18-2023, 09:47 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,111,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Way to reduce things to the ridiculous to try and make your comment more palatable by throwing out areas like Barstow or claiming areas are hot and dusty if you don't live directly in a city (sorry, it's not). Not everyone needs to live next to a beach either (I can't believe we're back to that nonsense). CA4Now mentioned Fullerton. I have friends that live in Folsom. There are plenty of safe, nice neighborhoods that don't go for the $800k amount you listed. And what amenities are we talking about? All these areas have clothing and groceries stores, spas, restaurants, etc. Yeah there might not be 3 star rated Michelin restaurants but those aren't the places most people frequent much anyway. Same goes for things like the opera/symphony or art galleries. Personally, I'd rather not deal with the hustle and bustle of a city and am quite comfortable living a little distance away. Jobs haven't been much of a problem in that respect either (not to mention that many companies still have WFH) so it's not like you have to be right next door to a major metropolis. Hell, when I lived in the Bay Area I lived just over 10 minutes away from the beach and probably went there one time every 10 years. And once I stopped working in the city, I really didn't head out there very often. There was no need as I could get everything I needed in the suburbs. And typically, the closer you are to a city, the less you get for your money in regards to housing.
The average cost of a house in Fullerton is over 900k so an 800k condo is pretty typical. This is Orange County after all. Sacramento valley is no doubt cheaper somewhat but there’s often a problem getting good jobs. If you’re closer to retirement and have hundreds of thousands down for a home you can offset this though. I personally don’t love that area and the weather is pretty hot and dusty and Sacramento is pretty bland.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yes and then you do the same on the way back. You’ve paid for a round trip flight, hotel and car rentals. If you’re gonna do that May as well live here. I suspect finper is trolling
Finper trolling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California