Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2023, 04:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 670,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
If a family in Southern California can afford to send their children to private school, then they almost always do. Of course, one area that is notably excluded from this rule is South Orange County. However, homeowners in that area usually pay Mello-Roos taxes, which are roughly equivalent to private school tuition payments.

Either way, you will have to pay the piper.
South Pas. Arcadia. San Marino. La Canada. Santa Monica. Palos Verdes. Pacific Palisades. Manhattan Beach.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. I don't know San Diego well enough to comment, but I can't imagine that La Jolla or Del Mar have garbage schools.

I live in North Tustin (Foothill) and have no mello roos and top rated public schools. Neither do people going to University High or Troy in Fullerton/Irvine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 05:27 PM

26,763 posts, read 26,869,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
South Pas. Arcadia. San Marino. La Canada. Santa Monica. Palos Verdes. Pacific Palisades. Manhattan Beach.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. I don't know San Diego well enough to comment, but I can't imagine that La Jolla or Del Mar have garbage schools.

I live in North Tustin (Foothill) and have no mello roos and top rated public schools. Neither do people going to University High or Troy in Fullerton/Irvine.
Although nearly all areas of Irvine built after 1988 have had Mello-Roos taxes, which was his point.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:43 PM

14,349 posts, read 11,742,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Although nearly all areas of Irvine built after 1988 have had Mello-Roos taxes, which was his point.
"Have had." Do they still have them? Some do, some don't. My neighborhood in South OC was built in 1989 and the Mello-Roos expired after 30 years, in 2019. If you want to avoid Mello-Roos or shorten the duration you have to pay them, buy in a slightly older area.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My neighborhood in South OC was built in 1989 and the Mello-Roos expired after 30 years, in 2019.
I had no idea that people had to pay Mello Roos for so many years.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:49 AM

14,349 posts, read 11,742,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I had no idea that people had to pay Mello Roos for so many years.
The length of time varies but yes, 20 to 40 years. It's a long time if you buy a new house in a new development and get in at the beginning. But in a neighbrhood with only a few years of Mello Roos left, and it's not a big deal. Or of course you can always buy an older house that no longer has or never did have them. Lots of options.

The title of this thread just struck me again, though, because I was at Laguna Beach yesterday. It was 50 degrees and raining off and on. One reason people still want to live in California is that even on the coldest days of winter, it still looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people still want to live in California?-laguna-cloudy-day.jpg  

Old 01-31-2023, 10:54 PM

855 posts, read 453,032 times
Quote:
The length of time varies but yes, 20 to 40 years. It's a long time if you buy a new house in a new development and get in at the beginning. But in a neighbrhood with only a few years of Mello Roos left, and it's not a big deal. Or of course you can always buy an older house that no longer has or never did have them. Lots of options.

The title of this thread just struck me again, though, because I was at Laguna Beach yesterday. It was 50 degrees and raining off and on. One reason people still want to live in California is that even on the coldest days of winter, it still looks like this:
Ya CA is similar to South Africa and Brazil.

When it comes to natural beauty, it is some of the best the world has to offer.

But the government and the people have run all three places into the ground and are a disgrace to the scenery the world gave us.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
The title of this thread just struck me again, though, because I was at Laguna Beach yesterday. It was 50 degrees and raining off and on. One reason people still want to live in California is that even on the coldest days of winter, it still looks like this...
We were there about ten days ago, just after the heavy rains here. It was--as always--stunningly beautiful.

Old 10-04-2023, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How does a person with nothing more than a shopping cart get from San Francisco or LA to Needles? That's bizarre and what makes you think that there are actually job openings in Needles? As far as section 8, there are 52,000 people on the Sacramento County waiting list for vouchers, 1200 of the people who have received vouchers this year lost them because they could not find a landlord willing to rent to them. And more older or disabled people without children get vouchers than do families so I think maybe the "someone" who told you that they were advised to have kids in order to get section 8 is either lying, or a figment of your imagination.

Vagrancy laws are unconstitutional and I have no idea where you dreamed up the idea of an "open drug law" because there isn't such a thing.
If a vagrancy law is unconstitutional, what is constitutional that thousands of addicts and mentally ill people camping on public or private property without permission, without paying rent, without paying taxes, basically having their stupid life choices subsidized by taxpayers? LA, San Francisco and other once vibrant, energetic centers of commerce and culture are showing signs of becoming dystopian encampments where increasing numbers of people will live in poverty on some sort of universal basic income. Thank the voters that elect the politicians who run these cities for this disaster.

Old 10-04-2023, 06:27 PM

612 posts, read 354,457 times
There are still important industries that pay well here but I'm not sure how long before they leave

Old 10-04-2023, 06:50 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocama View Post
If a vagrancy law is unconstitutional, what is constitutional that thousands of addicts and mentally ill people camping on public or private property without permission, without paying rent, without paying taxes, basically having their stupid life choices subsidized by taxpayers? LA, San Francisco and other once vibrant, energetic centers of commerce and culture are showing signs of becoming dystopian encampments where increasing numbers of people will live in poverty on some sort of universal basic income. Thank the voters that elect the politicians who run these cities for this disaster.
You should ask SCOTUS (which has a conservative majority of 6) They allowed Martin V Boise to stand which states that you can't move or displace the homeless from a public place unless you can provide them with a place to stay. It certainly wasn't my idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California