Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 07:32 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
Your happiness is worth money. I don't live in California, but I'm sure its because of just being from there, being used to it and the cost of living, the status of being from California, weather, and the outdoors. Most people don't move to and from somewhere due to the cost of living.
Have you ever heard the phrase that money can’t buy happiness? And what is this status thing? Weird concept
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 07:33 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Ask people in the upper Midwest if they value climate vs shoveling snow most of the year. Or how about people in the Great Plains who deal with Tornadoes or those on the Gulf Coast that need to worry about Hurricanes each year. How about those in Texas that have stifling heat and humidity for about 1/2 of the year?

The fact of the matter is that most places will need to deal with one thing or another. I would agree that with global warming, droughts, fires and poor air quality are making the quality of life in California much worse. On the other hand, many other parts of the country have their own issues with Global Warming.

Not everyone shovels snow or has the climate of the Dakotas. I do wonder if people realize what they are giving up to live in a mild climate. And if they realize that even thst boon is rapidly changing.

Again most people go from the comfort of air conditioning or heating to a car or shopping center or friends home or restaurant that also offers air conditioning and heating. They don't live out in the elements. The dread of shoveling snow not withstanding, do people not realize there are other places in the US that might meet their needs?

Old 08-24-2020, 07:36 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Not everyone shovels snow or has the climate of the Dakotas. I do wonder if people realize what they are giving up to live in a mild climate. And if they realize that even thst boon is rapidly changing.

Again most people go from the comfort of air conditioning or heating to a car or shopping center or friends home or restaurant that also offers air conditioning and heating. They don't live out in the elements. The dread of shoveling snow not withstanding, do people not realize there are other places in the US that might meet their needs?

Yes, we realize that, we are not uneducated idiots. But I like where I am. You do you.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:38 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Family live there?
Career advancement?
Make a big pile of money before you have kids ( then leave)?
Cannabis and end of life decisions?

Certainly not the environment anymore. It’s not the 50s, 60s, 70s, or even 80s.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:01 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
I'm genuinely curious.

We sold our last 2 properties in California to totally divest ourselves of financial ties to this state. With wildfires, pandemic pandemonium, climate change, lack of electricity and water, high taxes and higher insurance its no longer a safe nor particularly profitable place for out investment. Cost of living still remains high and the state population continues to grow

My mate has relatives who are still convinced that its the best place to be and that it further extends some kind of coveted status on them for being California residents. I still wonder how this mystique fits into the reality of a place thars burdened by overpopulation and a host of problems unique to this location.

So why do people still want to live there? Do you think this is or will change? Whats the next destination for those who find California too troubled to move there?
Certain entertainment careers only exist in California so if you are a camera man or an actor, more good, paying jobs are going to be there. Same with some high tech related jobs or specific sports (surfing, skateboarding, beach volleyball) related industries. I can think of others too (CBD, fashion, rap music, wine, luxury cars, international real estate) that although not exclusive to California it is one of the few places were those companies are located and the more senior jobs are plentiful.
I do see it changing slowly in some industries as the pandemic has made working from home more common.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:21 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:

Sure, plenty of people are moving to other states, even pre-COVID. There was mass migration to other tech cities, such as Seattle, Portland, Austin and Denver. This will probably continue. Pre-COVID, more people were moving in vs moving out, lured by the prevalence of high paying jobs, weather, city life and recreational opportunities. They were often willing to put up with the negative aspects of CA (e.g., high cost of living, crowds, fire risk) when compared against the good. It is not clear yet on the long-term impact of this with COVID nor whether the recent fires have changed the overall migration trends.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I have many friends and relatives that have remained there, though about half have moved up here to WA and one brother is moving to Oregon. The others have paid-off Prop 13 homes with low taxes, in areas without wildfires, have installed generators (natural gas) and drought resistant landscaping. Those moving there hear about the good - weather, natural beauty, high paying jobs and either don't know about the negatives, or ignore it. Despite the problems it will always attract people, even the homeless because of the dry, mild climate.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:31 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Is climate really that compelling of a reason? Surely there are other places where it doesn't snow. Most humans in the US live in the controlled environment of home with AC and heat/car with the same etc.
Quote:
Again most people go from the comfort of air conditioning or heating to a car or shopping center or friends home or restaurant that also offers air conditioning and heating. They don't live out in the elements.
You are apparently not much of an outdoor person. In my circles, few people who are not quite elderly live in this "perpetual indoor a/c & heat environment." One reason that we live in California is so we DON'T have to live in this way. In fact, we personally never turn on the heat at all and use the a/c only in the most dire heat waves (such as the last week ). And we are outside every single day doing our preferred outdoor activities which could not be done without mountains, the beach, and a year-round mild climate.

The premise of your thread is so strange. It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that leaving California was the right choice by attempting to persuade others that it's a terrible place to live.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:37 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
--People often stick with what's familiar, not what's best for them.
--It's a pain to move.
--People want to stay near friends and family.
--It's not that easy to find another job in a pandemic where lots of things are closed and unemployment is in the double digits.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:42 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Have you ever heard the phrase that money can’t buy happiness?
Yeah, but based on your posts on finances, you know it's a lie--or at least an exaggeration. Up to a certain point, money definitely does buy happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California