Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 02:14 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Can things be done better, sure. What is the alternative though? Please don't tell me that the Republican "plans" are better. What plans have the Trump administration put forth to address climate change? Seems like they only want to keep the economy rolling at all costs with no consideration for our futures.
Why can't you ever stick to the topic and constantly need to bring up Trump and republicans? Just because someone criticizes Newsom or CA doesn't mean they think republicans or Trump are any better. Maybe stop rah-rah'ing so easily over these empty, unplanned mandates and ask yourself how they are going to actually accomplish this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Never fear folks, I can provide you some learnings of actually learning about this field that is essentially dependent on evolving battery technology.

It is no coincidence that this order came less than 24 hours after Tesla's "Battery Day" in which a series of new battery engineering technologies have been discussed - that improve vehicle energy density by 50% and reduce battery costs by 50%.

The new technology will almost certainly reduce supercharging times further - probably to around 10 minutes.

More importantly for California, the emergence of cost-effective batteries for grid stability and grid storage will work in beautiful synergy with solar and other renewable energy sources.

Not only is the grid going to grow and grow more solar-based, but massive battery deployment will allow solar to be used after the sun goes down and all that.
Don't you think we should have already had some sort of battery storage in place by now with all of this solar and wind power? I'm aware of battery storage, I more wanted to see if others were. But my main point was the state didn't plan for it and it inspires little confidence they will be able to plan how to successfully implement this as well.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:20 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why can't you ever stick to the topic and constantly need to bring up Trump and republicans? Just because someone criticizes Newsom or CA doesn't mean they think republicans or Trump are any better. Maybe stop rah-rah'ing so easily over these empty, unplanned mandates and ask yourself how they are going to actually accomplish this.
Who says this was unplanned? As Zepalido mentioned, the state has been planning on beefing up their renewable energy capacity for years now. That is one of the reasons why our utility bills are expensive, because of the renewable % requirement. In addition, the battery capabilities are improving dramatically.

How do you know that Newsom didn't consult a team of experts in this field before setting this deadline? Not saying he's perfect, but I have much more confidence in his ability to confer to experts in planning than I do with Trump, based upon COVID.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:25 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
The value of second hand gasoline cars will rocket once we hit that deadline. I hope they improve our electric supplies before the deadline. I doubt I will still be driving in 15 years anyhow.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
What makes you think that electric cars aren't going to be affordable in 15 years? The technology has really improved. Case in point, Tesla only had a high end car and now has a mid tier car (much more affordable). This is not ideology, its real time tracking of technological breakthroughs.

Important to do both in parallel, not just sit back and wait by kicking the can down the road.
Right now power is a problem. What is being done to fix that?

Most people cannot afford a new car and many do not want one. It is unlikely to happen unless the State first builds the needed infrastructure as to power generation and charging locations for ... well over 15M cars as that is what CA had 2 years ago.

Then what happens to all the non electric cars? If sold out of State the prices would drop allowing less value for a buyer at trade in time.

I am not against the overall idea but there are no valid plans in place to make the mandate viable.

Plans come first. I mean would you build a house to meet the standards and needs without any complete plans in place and that meet the requirements AND all the components are available and ... at an affordable price for everyone, not just the rich? Oh and the house you must give up will drop in value since no one can live in it then.

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Mr newsom is a skilled politician his chances of being president were much better than Biden
But his orders and laws are 100% political showboating and utterly unfunded all with dire consequences

Quote:
Who says this was unplanned? As Zepalido mentioned, the state has been planning on beefing up their renewable energy capacity for years now. That is one of the reasons why our utility bills are expensive, because of the renewable % requirement. In addition, the battery capabilities are improving dramatically.

How do you know that Newsom didn't consult a team of experts in this field before setting this deadline? Not saying he's perfect, but I have much more confidence in his ability to confer to experts in planning than I do with Trump, based upon COVID.
Have you seen or have they released any sort of plan/roadmap how to achieve this? They didn't for the ZEB requirement for transit agencies and just left it up to them to figure it out.

Where did Zepalido say the state had been planning to beef up their renewable energy capacity? They just talked about the technology. And even if, that's a big if, they were planning to they waited too long as evidenced by the rolling blackouts.

Having more confidence in Newsom than Trump is a pretty LOW standard.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:29 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Don't you think we should have already had some sort of battery storage in place by now with all of this solar and wind power? I'm aware of battery storage, I more wanted to see if others were. But my main point was the state didn't plan for it and it inspires little confidence they will be able to plan how to successfully implement this as well.
California is trying to buy big batteries right now. Unfortunately, there is limited supply, and also they are more expensive.

Tesla (and others eventually) are going to begin ramping up battery cell production to terawatt hour levels, but it is going to take time. Luckily, this ramping will begin soon so there is plenty of time to scale with increased EV purchases.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:30 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I have some questions and don’t even think Newsom has the answers

I thought he loved gas tax money. How will they maintain the roads without it?
What would it do to car registration fees that already sky high?
What about people that live in condos and apartments without garages? How do they charge their cars?
Is Newsom planning on being governor in 15 years? Can he place a order and it will have to be enforced when he’s retired and living on his winery if he’s not run out of the state?
What about all the jobs related to gas?

I’m all for clean green living but don’t think it can happen 100% in our lifetime.
For years they were trying to get people to switch to electric cars. They even gave an incentives (tax breaks, passes for HoV lanes). They also told people, “hey, it’s cheaper, you don’t have to pay for gas”.

Then the state politicians started complaining that the bastard electric car owners weren’t paying the gas tax and that wasn’t fair.

So they imposed a $100 extra fee on electric car registrations to make sure they could suck dry, I mean collect taxes, on said electric car owners.

Neat, huh?

Old 09-23-2020, 02:30 PM

172 posts, read 362,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Gavin Newsom signs order banning sales of gas-powered cars in California by 2035
BY LARA KORTE
SEPTEMBER 23, 2020 10:32 AM , UPDATED 5 MINUTES AGO

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Wednesday issued an executive order requiring the sale of all new passenger vehicles to be zero-emission by 2035, a move the governor says would achieve a significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, improve air quality, and move the state further away from relying on climate change-causing fossil fuels.
Californians will be rubbing balloons on their heads for energy in no time. Of course, there are some that are praising this man as the second coming and savior of the planet; that's how self import they feel. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California