Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 07:57 PM

274 posts, read 319,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"My" list? Scroll down on the Census website.

It was a response to the poster who said, "most people who live in California are racial and ethnic minorities."
Not saying it's "your list", but I'm honestly just trying to figure out what your response means. The part you copied and pasted seems to be posted as disputing the claim that "most people who live in California are racial and ethnic minorities", specifically the 71.9% "white alone" category (which includes Hispanic).

However when you actually open the link it very clearly shows "white alone, not Hispanic or Latino" as 36.5%, which would in fact prove the previous poster's claim that "most people who live in California are racial and ethnic minorities."

Though I doubt you were attempting to mislead anyone by posting only a subset of the data, it's a good example of how it could be (and is) used as a tactic can confuse people. In this case, the link you posted actually proves that the poster's statement was correct, but the context of your post would indicate that perhaps you were disagreeing with the statement. My apologies if you were in fact posting it to verify his/her claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 06:41 AM

26,790 posts, read 26,914,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh, yeah, Hispanic isn't a race.
On the history of 'Hispanic' on the Census Questionnaire:
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-white-and-why

Old 12-06-2020, 06:47 AM

26,790 posts, read 26,914,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
...the context of your post would indicate that perhaps you were disagreeing with the statement. My apologies if you were in fact posting it to verify his/her claim.
I was definitely disagreeing with his claim, including his unverified statement that "many Hispanic people who live in California are not lawfully present in the United States." We're really not supposed to post more than a snippet from a link. But thanks for your concern.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:15 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,048,770 times
I'm late to the discussion, but I'm a Covid "survivor". I think I recovered somewhat quickly. My symptoms were basically the same as a typical flu, but more intense. I had the flu about 3 years ago and actually feel like that took me longer to fully recover.

My Covid symptoms first started on Nov. 1st very mildly as if I was fighting a minor cold. I didn't even call in sick to work because I had no indication that I was dealing with anything serious and had no fever. I just felt like my body was fighting something off. A few days later I decided to get tested at drive-thru clinic that was going to be set up close to my house for a couple days. I only did so because my wife wanted to go see her mom who has some health issues and she didn't want to take a bug with her. The day after I tested, I felt much worse than I had the previous days. By the 2nd day after I tested, I was feeling pretty crappy and got my positive test results texted to me that evening. The following 4 days after I got my test results, I felt horrible. I was also on quarantine by the county health dept., which was fine because I barely felt like leaving the bed. I slept 20+ hours/day and barely ate. I didn't even have energy for showering or brushing my teeth! It was a pretty bad 4 days.

After the 4th day, I could tell I was definitely starting to get better. By the 5th day, I felt about 80% normal. With each passing day, I started feeling much better. So, in my personal experience, the time I actually felt "sick" was 2 weeks. The 1st week of feeling that way was no big deal. The 2nd week was awful but I'm now feel 100% normal and hopefully don't have any of the lingering effects that some people experience later. While being sick, I never experienced any respiratory issues or loss of taste and smell like many others have.

So to sum it up, I don't think it took me a long time to recover at all, considering how serious Covid has the potential to be in some people. When I was sick with the flu 3 years ago, It took close to a month for me to feel back to 100% normal.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm late to the discussion, but I'm a Covid "survivor". I think I recovered somewhat quickly. My symptoms were basically the same as a typical flu, but more intense. I had the flu about 3 years ago and actually feel like that took me longer to fully recover.

My Covid symptoms first started on Nov. 1st very mildly as if I was fighting a minor cold. I didn't even call in sick to work because I had no indication that I was dealing with anything serious and had no fever. I just felt like my body was fighting something off. A few days later I decided to get tested at drive-thru clinic that was going to be set up close to my house for a couple days. I only did so because my wife wanted to go see her mom who has some health issues and she didn't want to take a bug with her. The day after I tested, I felt much worse than I had the previous days. By the 2nd day after I tested, I was feeling pretty crappy and got my positive test results texted to me that evening. The following 4 days after I got my test results, I felt horrible. I was also on quarantine by the county health dept., which was fine because I barely felt like leaving the bed. I slept 20+ hours/day and barely ate. I didn't even have energy for showering or brushing my teeth! It was a pretty bad 4 days.

After the 4th day, I could tell I was definitely starting to get better. By the 5th day, I felt about 80% normal. With each passing day, I started feeling much better. So, in my personal experience, the time I actually felt "sick" was 2 weeks. The 1st week of feeling that way was no big deal. The 2nd week was awful but I'm now feel 100% normal and hopefully don't have any of the lingering effects that some people experience later. While being sick, I never experienced any respiratory issues or loss of taste and smell like many others have.

So to sum it up, I don't think it took me a long time to recover at all, considering how serious Covid has the potential to be in some people. When I was sick with the flu 3 years ago, It took close to a month for me to feel back to 100% normal.

Sorry to hear you got Covid. I know about 10 people who had it ranging from asymptomatic to a mild flu to a more severe flu (only one had to be hospitalized overnight though). All recovered fully. However, I suspect that all or most are still being counted as "active cases" https://www.worldometers.info/corona...sa/california/ I think they only reclassify cases as recovered when someone has actually tested negative and most don't go back for testing after 10 days. As of today, out of the 40,464 Covid cases in Santa Clara County since March, 40,113 are still classified as "active" which means only 351 people recovered in 8 months. The higher the active cases, the more they can justify the lockdowns. BLM protests are pretty much the only thing exempt from the restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California