Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 11:06 AM

10 posts, read 12,154 times

Advertisements

My husband is trying to get on working at the Herlong Army Depot. I’m a teacher wondering where the best place to find work is. I see Reno isn’t far, but I’m licensed in CA....not sure if anyone has any tips on areas move.
We want to have an acre or so in a small town, but close enough for medical and shopping.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 11:10 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Chico is about 100 miles away from Susanville, maybe you can find property somewhere between SV & Chico, & get a teaching job in Chico.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:31 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Or Truckee, north of Tahoe? Slightly shorter drive time than Chico... IDK, OP; I think you'll have to watch for teacher openings anywhere in the area, for ex., along the CA side of hwy 395, as well as in S-ville itself, of course. You could start by subbing, if you don't mind that.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:16 PM

I am not sure about the snow & ice, but I would think driving to Reno would have more than driving to Chico. Plenty of places along the route from SV to Chico.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,664,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I am not sure about the snow & ice, but I would think driving to Reno would have more than driving to Chico. Plenty of places along the route from SV to Chico.
The OP would probably encounter snow traveling between Susanville and Chico along SR-36 and SR-32 as well as to Reno along US-395. I took a business trip to Susanville last winter from Sacramento in between storm and there was a considerable amount of snow along the highways from Chico to Susanville.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:22 AM

1,142 posts, read 579,213 times
We took a few trips out there about a year ago. At Janesville which I believe is the closest nicest town was Dollar General being constructed almost ready to open. I also recall a Pizza Factory and what appeared like a a few good churches, non-denom maybe. Not cults though

Janesville which is about 30 min from Herlong on the way to Susanville.

You can try to apply here Janesville Elementary Home

Maybe check the CCC locations, I believe they hire teachers.

Anywhere else and it's just too far to drive 5 days a wk

Old 04-01-2020, 08:45 AM

228 posts, read 161,994 times
Quote:
Have you driven to Chico from out there?
It's crazy if anyone plans to do it often, especially during the winter time. It's windy, often desolate roads in the mountains that get a lot of snow (and chance to hit a deer). And it's half and hour longer drive to Chico.
People do commute from Susanville to Reno (not something that I personally would want to do, but the road is order of magnitude easier, well-traveled with good cell coverage, and mostly over flattish deserts)

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 04-01-2020 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-01-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Have you driven to Chico from out there?
It's crazy if anyone plans to do it often, especially during the winter time. It's windy, often desolate roads in the mountains that get a lot of snow (and chance to hit a deer). And it's half and hour longer drive to Chico.
People do commute from Susanville to Reno (not something that I personally would want to do, but the road is order of magnitude easier, well-traveled with good cell coverage, and mostly over flattish deserts)
Yes we have driven it, but only in the summertime, & it seemed a nice drive. I defer to those who live there & know the roads better.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:03 AM

228 posts, read 161,994 times
Quote:
Yes we have driven it, but only in the summertime, & it seemed a nice drive. I defer to those who live there & know the roads better.
It's scenic out there, with woods and all, but windy mountain road and yes can be much trouble in winter. Drive to Reno is pretty scenic too, actually, just in a different way....open deserts and big Honey salt lake. I always felt that if something were to happen to my car on the road, I'd much rather be on hwy 395 versus the route through the Sierra. A lot better cell coverage, not isolated because many cars travel there, patrolled, and I think it'd be easier/faster to get AAA type of help to come out.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:46 AM

https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...rmy-depot.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California