Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 08:45 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
This is true. I spent some time in Orlando with the "Ambassadors" the cities hires to help the homeless. These employees walk the downtown streets to help them and keep them from misbehaving and the homeless treat them with respect. If a homeless person goes to far in bad behavior they are arrested and put in jail.They cannot sleep on the streets at all. They cannot put any kind of filth on the streets. They have food sources, clothing, places to sleep,aid with renting if getting a job, if an interview for a good job is scheduled and their clothes look shabby they get them decent clothes for the interview. No sleeping on the street is allowed or leaving any garbage, etc behind wayyyy different than CA.

I avoid LA and Santa Ana downtown areas like the plaque.
What places to sleep do they have, and who pays for that? What are their food sources, and who funds that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 08:52 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
This is true. I spent some time in Orlando with the "Ambassadors" the cities hires to help the homeless. These employees walk the downtown streets to help them and keep them from misbehaving and the homeless treat them with respect. If a homeless person goes to far in bad behavior they are arrested and put in jail.They cannot sleep on the streets at all. They cannot put any kind of filth on the streets. They have food sources, clothing, places to sleep,aid with renting if getting a job, if an interview for a good job is scheduled and their clothes look shabby they get them decent clothes for the interview. No sleeping on the street is allowed or leaving any garbage, etc behind wayyyy different than CA.

Do you think Disneyland has a part in that? The area that Disneyland is in Anaheim looks a whole lot different then other parts of Anaheim. For one thing the bus stops don’t have benches on Harbor blvd. DL made sure of that.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:21 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What places to sleep do they have, and who pays for that? What are their food sources, and who funds that?
They have shelters as well as the City pays for some rooms. the food is free from about 7 different sources surrounding the downtown area, mostly churches. I was involved with them for a short while and also spoke with their people in their downtown office as well as many homeless as I had special work to do there. My business is in consulting with businesses and I had several I was visiting there. I do work all over the country and at times internationally. The City pays for the Ambassadors, food, shelter and clothing and many other organizations also help. It is handled extremely well, better than any other place I have been. Wish LA would follow their example.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:22 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:

Your post explains a lot and clearly a big difference with California.

We noticed there was no trash, no graffiti, no filth anywhere for miles and miles in Central Florida. We walked the streets of inner Orlando, walked around Lake Eola in the heart of downtown Orlando, walked city neighborhoods beyond downtown Orlando. We visited the Space Coast, across to Cocoa Beach, up to Daytona, all the way down to Vero Beach, and those other beaches and towns on the Atlantic and the towns along the Indian and Banana Rivers including a visit to Cape Canaveral. We covered a large swath. By California current standards, Central Florida and the Space Coast was "spotless" squeaky clean.

My California pride was shattered. My bleeding heart breaks for California.
I kept thinking when was the last time California looked that clean, graffiti free....probably 1975.

When walking around Lake Eola in downtown Orlando I was comparing it with LA's echo lake and Oakland's lake merritt. Wow what a difference. Orlando's lake Eola was so much more beautiful with a very clean surrounding park. Oakland's lake Merritt looks like a junkyard with a dirty water pit in the middle.

"Come on" California we have to do better.

Sure, I've seen many other states and cities that look way cleaner than California but there was something special about Florida that really hit it home for me. Florida is a big populous state, quite diverse, very "California", but clean and graffiti free. Being in Florida made me long for the days when California was that clean, a faint memory.

The slow boil of the frogs in a pot continues, many of those frogs are already dead, it smells bad, looks worse, but we kept adding to the pot and more are slowing dying in the pot.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-17-2021 at 09:44 AM..

Old 03-18-2021, 02:08 AM

37 posts, read 36,834 times
At this point the homeless is part of our culture here, you gotta appreciate the grit mix with a buetiful mainly urban/suburban sunny good weather landscape...yeah they might be potentialy dangerous but life is anyway. Big cities are going to have it all from great to absolute trash and to me it adds some kolour. Just think of it like that lol. Politics no matter how great you believe your side is need decades to "change" for the better...whatever that means..it took over 3 decades to make the city "nicer" but it was never really nice in the first place was it? The urban lifestyle is built with grittiness, all the biggest cities here atleast are built as such. The biggest cities all tend to vote democrat for generations simply because they have been the party that mainly appeal to the masses in crowded urban areas lately. It is what it is take it for what it is. If the urban ghettos are too much just go where your peace is calling..if that means moving to the countrtly side so be it. I think those of us born and raised in urban environments can appreciate the peace and quiet of the country some day. Most of us true California natives don't give a crap about the exodus or money moving away. We're going to continue to find a way to live just like anyone else.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:26 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Your post explains a lot and clearly a big difference with California.

We noticed there was no trash, no graffiti, no filth anywhere for miles and miles in Central Florida. We walked the streets of inner Orlando, walked around Lake Eola in the heart of downtown Orlando, walked city neighborhoods beyond downtown Orlando. We visited the Space Coast, across to Cocoa Beach, up to Daytona, all the way down to Vero Beach, and those other beaches and towns on the Atlantic and the towns along the Indian and Banana Rivers including a visit to Cape Canaveral. We covered a large swath. By California current standards, Central Florida and the Space Coast was "spotless" squeaky clean.

My California pride was shattered. My bleeding heart breaks for California.
I kept thinking when was the last time California looked that clean, graffiti free....probably 1975.

When walking around Lake Eola in downtown Orlando I was comparing it with LA's echo lake and Oakland's lake merritt. Wow what a difference. Orlando's lake Eola was so much more beautiful with a very clean surrounding park. Oakland's lake Merritt looks like a junkyard with a dirty water pit in the middle.

"Come on" California we have to do better.

Sure, I've seen many other states and cities that look way cleaner than California but there was something special about Florida that really hit it home for me. Florida is a big populous state, quite diverse, very "California", but clean and graffiti free. Being in Florida made me long for the days when California was that clean, a faint memory.

The slow boil of the frogs in a pot continues, many of those frogs are already dead, it smells bad, looks worse, but we kept adding to the pot and more are slowing dying in the pot.
You can get OC living on a budget in fresno, chim.
Copper river is a slice of the oc, and you can get a decent pad starting at 450k. Zero homeless, gated communities, trails, and lots of park space.

Fig garden has the old sac feel if you want that. Lots of tree cover to cool your house down. Hardly any homeless.

Friant is true foothill living, not the fauxhills you get near sacramento. :P Get in at just 300k. Check out these pictures from zillow. Zero homeless near friant!
Friant
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...19138564_zpid/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v69o9dg2j3s

Hiking near friant
Https://i.redd.it/gkaxxe1g9rl61.jpg

If you're willing to spend money, there's napa and the slo foothills as options. You don't have to leave the state to get away hobos, chim.
Edit: oh yeah, tehachipi. Santa clarita?

If you're dead set on florida, may I suggest the northern half. It's cheaper and you get a bit more days of winter. You'll miss winter in orlando, trust me. 85f for Christmas isn't as much fun as it sounds.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 03-18-2021 at 04:28 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 01:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Doesn't sound like CA is "for you" OP. Not everything will be.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:09 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candothisallday View Post
First time in California since child. 1.5 weeks LA (Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Beverly Hills), 1.5 weeks Newport Beach/Laguna Beach. I'm leaving completely let down.

1) The people. I've never come across so many judgemental/status obsessed/righteous people in my life. I understand there are all types, in all places, however the prevalence of these kinds of people, and how overt it was, was enough to ruin the atmosphere for me.

2) The weather. I've been told it's been cooler than normal recently, but not enough so I think it makes that large of a difference. It's just cool enough to not be beach weather, just warm enough to not be cold. It's just...blah. Winter is real here, in other words. 12 months of true warmth is not a thing.

3) The geography. LA itself was very underwhelming. Laguna and Newport were much more what I thought of as "California" in my mind. The hills right against the water. Yet even there, to me it was all just...blah. The hills were nice, but not large or spectacular. The beaches were all nice, but not great (ok sand, ok water). The natural flora was not desert, yet not lush. The palms all seemed very planted and "man made" as opposed to seeming natural. It just seemed to me like a weird mesh of Colorado and Florida turned down to average everything out.

Add all of this together (along with the INSANE homeless problem), I'm just very let down. Not what I expected. Anyone else have a similar experience?
I will say though, had the best burger of my life in LA, which is saying a lot. I was impressed with the food.

LOL I think it's ironic you find people judgmental. I live here & can't say I meet many judgmental types.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:28 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candothisallday View Post
First time in California since child. 1.5 weeks LA (Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Beverly Hills), 1.5 weeks Newport Beach/Laguna Beach. I'm leaving completely let down.

1) The people. I've never come across so many judgemental/status obsessed/righteous people in my life. I understand there are all types, in all places, however the prevalence of these kinds of people, and how overt it was, was enough to ruin the atmosphere for me.

2) The weather. I've been told it's been cooler than normal recently, but not enough so I think it makes that large of a difference. It's just cool enough to not be beach weather, just warm enough to not be cold. It's just...blah. Winter is real here, in other words. 12 months of true warmth is not a thing.

3) The geography. LA itself was very underwhelming. Laguna and Newport were much more what I thought of as "California" in my mind. The hills right against the water. Yet even there, to me it was all just...blah. The hills were nice, but not large or spectacular. The beaches were all nice, but not great (ok sand, ok water). The natural flora was not desert, yet not lush. The palms all seemed very planted and "man made" as opposed to seeming natural. It just seemed to me like a weird mesh of Colorado and Florida turned down to average everything out.

Add all of this together (along with the INSANE homeless problem), I'm just very let down. Not what I expected. Anyone else have a similar experience?
I will say though, had the best burger of my life in LA, which is saying a lot. I was impressed with the food.
Did you drive up to the Top of the World in Laguna Beach ?

Old 03-28-2021, 07:54 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
I’m laughing here. OP travels during a pandemic and comes to the COVID hotspot of LA and OC?

We left LA almost 30 years ago to afford housing and avoid a commute. But we came back to California in retirement. Coastal California. Nothing more beautiful.

And when the pandemic lightens up - we’ll be headed to Yosemite and Tahoe and perhaps the North Coast.

If your vision of California is glitzy So Cal and the cities - you’re missing the point. Hugely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California