Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kevin Paffrath vs Gavin Newsom
Kevin Paffrath (MeetKevin) 35 45.45%
Gavin Newsom 42 54.55%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 07:48 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,619,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
John Cox must have a screw loose to go along with this. What is the matter with him?

PETA Calls Feds on John Cox’s Bear Stunt:
https://www.peta.org/media/news-rele...xs-bear-stunt/
I mean who cares what PETA thinks though. Seriously.

You could put a poster of a bear up their and PETA would find issues with it on some level. They are a joke.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:00 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Seriously?

Quote:
You could put a poster of a bear up their and PETA would find issues with it on some level. They are a joke.
Cox himself is certainly not intervening on behalf of this poor animal.

Darren Minier, assistant director of animal care at the Oakland Zoo, also called the stunt exploitative and even dangerous.

"We don't see this as often as we used to a few decades ago," said Minier. "The main reason is because of how unsafe it is."

To be clear, Tag is what Minier called a "movie bear" -- born in captivity and trained for Hollywood. He's even apparently a member of the Screen Actors Guild. Tag has experience in front of cameras, but let's not forget he's a 1,000-pound bear.

"Truthfully with a bear that's scared, a hot wire is not really going to stop it," said Minier, referring to the electrically charged wire penning in the bear. "If the hot wire is strong enough to actually stop the bear, it's a danger (for people) to be around."

https://abc7news.com/pets-animals/jo...eful/10580577/

Old 05-08-2021, 08:22 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,532 times
Quote:
5. Having a R in charge, for a term wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
I'd agree with you except that the party formerly known as Republican has degenerated into a Trump personality cult.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:36 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, I didn't think this recall was necessary in the first place.

There's no "necessity" clause in state election code regarding recalls. But ignoring that fact for a second, when would you accept it being so (i.e. "necessary")? Plenty of people have been affected by Newsom's one-man rule. To them, it's more than necessary.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have no idea what that last paragraph was about,

Yes you do. If your greatest fear came true and a Republican were to win this election, the legislature would quickly vote to remove the governor's emergency powers immediately and your opinion on the lawsuit regarding the same thing would change just as quickly. If any other governor but Newsom or another Democrat was using the emergency services act to craft legislation, you would be taking my position on the matter and calling foul. And you'd be right. The only reason you're defending it is because of your fandom for the dominant party in this state and Newsom himself.

Quote:
but this is all so transparent on your part. You know darned good and well that having a well known Democrat on the ballot would work to the advantage of people who are supporting the recall and Democrats just don't want to play. PS. If the polls are to be believed not many people supporting the recall adore Faulconer like you do.

First, how many times have I said I don't support Faulconer? So nice try. Further, having a wide swathe of candidates on the ballot would work to EVERYONE'S advantage because that's precisely what elections are about. And don't give me this baloney about "just waiting until 2022" because we've had that conversation and it all comes down to you being miffed that this recall election succeeded through perfectly legal channels laid out in the state constitution.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Sure. Why should the governor try to save the lives of Californians during a pandemic?

Attempting to alter election law wasn't to save lives.

The protocols which were put in place to address the pandemic were initially based on the most dire predictions (over 25M infected statewide by April 2020). That didn't happen. We didn't even come close. The current governor loves the attention and loves the grip he's been given over all state matters which is why we're still operating under policies based on an exaggerated number. Luckily he worked out a deal with the pandemic to be over by June 15th though....

Old 05-08-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:

They are as ridiculous as the campaign bear prop itself.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:58 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
42% of independents isn’t exactly insignificant or a small number.
No, but given that the majority of independents are still in favor of Newsom, along with 95% of Democrats, tell me where a competitor has a snowball's chance in h--l?

Old 05-08-2021, 09:59 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
There's no "necessity" clause in state election code regarding recalls. But ignoring that fact for a second, when would you accept it being so (i.e. "necessary")? Plenty of people have been affected by Newsom's one-man rule. To them, it's more than necessary.
So, you're saying you have no problem with 1.5M mostly Trumpers overruling the will of the vast majority of voters here in California?

Are you also in favor of the voter suppression laws that many other states are enacting?

Old 05-08-2021, 10:23 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,781,486 times
Quote:
John Cox must have a screw loose to go along with this. What is the matter with him?

PETA Calls Feds on John Cox’s Bear Stunt:
https://www.peta.org/media/news-rele...xs-bear-stunt/
Good. I don't agree with PETA on a lot of things but this is one time I do. Thanks for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California