Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 12:09 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,466,613 times

Advertisements

When the vaccinations were gearing up, there were stories about groups of people who should not jump to get the vaccine. People prone to anaphylactic shock, people prone to blood clots, probably others. And it was fine--everyone else would hopefully get the shot and there would be herd immunity.

I have both those conditions and have been told several times by my doctor to NOT get the shot on the grounds that I had a higher chance of death from the shot than from the virus. Fine.

Now I'm an evil "anti-vaxxer" and bent on destroying my co-workers and need to be punished--you can't go here, you can't do that. That's what you get for thinking your life is more important than the people that don't care about you anyway.

It would be nice if California got back to normal, but I fear those days are long gone. Now that we've successfully learned how to carve out a particular group of people that everyone should now hate, the sky's the limit on who the next unacceptable group will be.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:13 PM

50,478 posts, read 47,209,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
When the vaccinations were gearing up, there were stories about groups of people who should not jump to get the vaccine. People prone to anaphylactic shock, people prone to blood clots, probably others. And it was fine--everyone else would hopefully get the shot and there would be herd immunity.

I have both those conditions and have been told several times by my doctor to NOT get the shot on the grounds that I had a higher chance of death from the shot than from the virus. Fine.

Now I'm an evil "anti-vaxxer" and bent on destroying my co-workers and need to be punished--you can't go here, you can't do that. That's what you get for thinking your life is more important than the people that don't care about you anyway.

It would be nice if California got back to normal, but I fear those days are long gone. Now that we've successfully learned how to carve out a particular group of people that everyone should now hate, the sky's the limit on who the next unacceptable group will be.
My second shot sent me down. So much so I got a viral and bacterial infection at the same time that I'm still battling. I'm second guessing getting it.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:15 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,714,847 times
UCSF expert: Gavin Newsom should overrule new 'unfathomable' workplace mask rules

"The problem with Cal/OSHA's decision is that they’ve failed to embrace the effectiveness of vaccines," she said. "The CDC is an extremely cautious organization, but their recommendation that immunity from a vaccine is far more powerful than protection from a mask is sound. California's continued interest in adhering to masks in the face of high vaccination rates, low case rates and the CDC guidance is unfathomable."

Gandhi, who authored seven papers on the benefits of universal masking, does not believe there is any science that justifies Cal/OSHA's decision, especially since there is nothing stopping employees who wish to continue wearing masks from doing so. She stated that the only possible explanation behind the rules is that masking has become a political issue and that lifting mask mandates is seen as a right-wing position.

Last edited by sav858; 06-04-2021 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 08:15 PM

26,785 posts, read 26,907,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Idaho is completely open and back to prepandemic living. No one even talks about the virus here. They talk about going rafting or to see concerts or they’re going to check out our local baseball team the Spuds play their first game. So wonder no more it’s just crazy Ca.
Is that why Idaho's confirmed virus rate per 100 K is now 102.5, while California's is 46.2?

Old 06-04-2021, 08:20 PM

26,785 posts, read 26,907,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And their case rate continues to decline like every other state. I don't get why so many people in CA are still so afraid of going back to normal when you can see it's fine and working in other states at this point.
What? Florida's confirmed case rate per 100 K in the last 14 days is 142.9. Texas's is 75. California's is 46.2.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:21 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,117,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Idaho is completely open and back to prepandemic living. No one even talks about the virus here. They talk about going rafting or to see concerts or they’re going to check out our local baseball team the Spuds play their first game. Vegas is completely open. So wonder no more it’s just crazy Ca.

Why is the 15th the day you’re free of the virus? Did science decree it or the dictator in charge there?
This may be it for me. I'm willing to take an 75k/yr (yes my housing is expensive but not that much more) paycut at this point and move to Florida. I ****ing refuse to be subjected to a "pandemic" that only exists in CA.

Last April my county made it illegal for me to go more than 5 miles from my house. I shivered outside in rain to buy burritos when only outdoor dining was allowed (which was subsequently closed intermittently based on dubious"science") I wasn't allowed to use parks for months, the gym for almost a year, however, I could buy cigarettes and weed in person. Schools were closed for over a year (unless you can pay 40k/yr for private school).

When I see other states were open most the time it's infuriating. The fact that their per capita mortality and infection rates are similar to ours is rubbing salt in the wounds.

That our leaders can see the data and still decide to mask us until 2022 when other states have been over this crap for a solid year is insane. Apparently CA is smarter than the CDC and yes, I've been vaccinated but it doesn't matter.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:46 PM

11,678 posts, read 6,104,709 times
Because California is insane. California politicians and bureaucrats are insane. As are most voters.

So "someday" they will adopt the recommendation from the Center for Disease Control. Well, they sure immediately adopted their recommendation when they said to mask up.

California idiots. Oops. Redundant.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:02 AM

6,401 posts, read 2,728,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What? Florida's confirmed case rate per 100 K in the last 14 days is 142.9. Texas's is 75. California's is 46.2.
What a difference a week makes to the numbers.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...r100klast7days

7 Day Average per 100K as of June 4th
CA = 7
FL = 51.9
TX = 25.3

Yes, those States are still higher, but I don't hear anyone marching on their capitals telling them that they need to shut down the State because the numbers are too high. Even though those states have been open for months, none of the "doomsday" scenarios people were saying would happen has happened.

Right now California has perhaps the best stats. But as late as today the Governor says that he won't end the State of Emergency on the 15th as he previously stated. He does not want to give up the control he has had over the last year. Regardless of how "good" the State is, there will always be some factor that is going to be justified as needing to be addressed before he can give up this control.

But based on his news conference and some comments he is on the verge of losing some of his biggest supporters...the Media. Not a great move considering he has a Recall looming over his head.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:35 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,899,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post

There are people like you, yes, not your fault. And you know people who probably care about you and worry about infecting you. Since it's not established that fully vaccinated people can't transmit COVID-19 but definitely can catch it, it's prudent that masks continue to be worn by all in some ordinary situations. Sure, a vaccinated individual can wear a mask around a bunch of unmasked co-workers, but if one or more of them has the virus, it might be too much for the mask plus vaccine to ward off. Without realizing it, many people likely have adult acquaintances who either can't be vaccinated or doesn't get enough of an immune response to the vaccine, and it becomes a big pickle if living with such a person. Employers don't want workers rightly fearing they could hurt their families by showing up to the job. For sure, Cal-OSHA thought of that when deciding what to do.

There's also the variants argument, somewhat about self-protection but ultimately most beneficial to people who are unvaccinated..

Sorry, y'all, I think vaccine-hesitant people are the willful obstacle to unmasking for now. Maybe two months will convert enough of them.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:57 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
I wouldn't return to the office if I had to wear a mask. But I wouldn't be called back in until masks are gone I suspect. I spend very little time in one these days, only when a store requires it and then I'm in and out, I'm not spending time browsing these days, that's what the internet is for.

What's even the goal now? It's sure not to keep the hospitals from being overloaded, that's over. And it's not about eradicating Covid, that's impossible. I think we're reaching the point where hospitalizations will be manageable and death counts acceptable and in line with the flu. If we're still wearing masks at that point then we know it was never about Covid or "keeping us safe" and everyone should go on strike or walk out because you're being played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California