Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:42 AM

21 posts, read 68,247 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some advice from some Californians about what cities would be overall the best to live in. My wife and I expect to be pulling in about $100k together, I being a dietitian and she being a retail manager. In terms of cost of living and job markets, especially the medical field, what cities are recommended? Are there any places to specifically avoid? I know it'll be a big change from life in WI, but that's what we want. Any advice you could give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 04:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1987 View Post
I'm looking for some advice from some Californians about what cities would be overall the best to live in. My wife and I expect to be pulling in about $100k together, I being a dietitian and she being a retail manager. In terms of cost of living and job markets, especially the medical field, what cities are recommended? Are there any places to specifically avoid? I know it'll be a big change from life in WI, but that's what we want. Any advice you could give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
What does "best" mean?

Why do you want to move to California?

Do you have more requirements or desirements? You haven't given us a lot to go on.

What research have you already performed? CD forum fills in the cracks of hard facts gathered by your research.

Have you used the CD search tool?

Coast? Desert? Price range? Suburb? Urban? Rural? Kids? Ages? Both going to work? One to stay home with kids in three years? House? Apartment? Condo? Rent? Buy?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:16 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1987 View Post
And why would you leave Wisconsin and go to a state that DOESNT sell Leinenkugles?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
And why would you leave Wisconsin and go to a state that DOESNT sell Leinenkugles?
No Leinies?! I'll have to import them or something haha.

Anyways, the specifics of what we want are this: safe area, good place to raise 2 to 3 children (in the future), good schools, decent job market, urban or suburban living, and no snow.

What I like about CA is the weather, which seems infinitely better than ours in WI. Here, we have winters in the -20's and summers in the 90's neither of which I want to live with. Also I'd like more sun than we get here. CA offers decent temps year round in many areas, which is condusive to working on a project car (which in WI would have to be put away for winter), and being outdoors, whether it be hiking, tennis, or just a jog.

Like I said, we're expecting about a $100k income together, and plan on renting an apt at least for the first year. We don't have children yet because we want to settle down first.

Hopefully this will give you more to go on. I'm just looking for some recommendations from actual Californians (past or present) who know things that books or fact sites may not. Thanks again for your time.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:07 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Don't move to any of the big cities on that little income. Sorry, $100k sounds great until you see what lifestyle it really affords here.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
Thumbs up Check out Duarte

You would love Duarte. Historic, clean, near beautiful mountains, good people, California Distinquished schools, access to great restraunts, shopping, 20 minutes from L.A. (depending on the traffic). I could go on and on. I've lived here 8 years and can't imagine going anywhere. I'm hypnotized by the mountains. Ever so often a bear might come down and look for snacks . It's right next to Bradbury, (which you might also look into), and 10 minutes from Pasadena. Basically suburb area. I think a few celebs live on the mountainsides.

I used to live in Long Beach for 8 years, and couldn't take the congestion. Of course it's perfect for beaches, sites and entertainment, but after that, well, don't want to discourage you.

Check into it!! Good luck to you!

P.S...What are LEINENKUGLES??

Last edited by Aletha Robinson; 03-20-2008 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Added text

Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,922,577 times
The Riverside metro is probably going to be the most affordable. And with recent growth, there should be plenty of job opportunities.

I know the Woodcrest area has good schools. My aunt lives in the area and has nothing but good things to say about the nearby high school (Martin Luther King High). The elementary schools are supposed to be quite good too.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,922,577 times
Oh, and if you want to be on the water, Oceanside could be a good option.

There are a number of affordable homes on the market, and plenty of nice options under $400k.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
since you dont want the temps in the 90s, i would look in the mid-california coast south of san fran and north of carmel. also maybe San luis obispo or santa barbara? if you come into the LA/Orange area your summers are going to be dry 80-100 degree heat from mid may through august and then parts of september and october. hell, it was 80-90 here for a week or two last month

you also have areas south of orange. oceanside is a nice place as mentioned above.

personally, i'm fond of monterey

Old 03-21-2008, 01:36 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I checked out each city suggested and so far they all seem wonderful. Maybe it's because anything seems better than dreary WI haha. Any more suggestions are still welcomed. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California