Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 07:04 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I remember during the last drought people complaining that almond trees should be cut down to save water. But when it was pointed out that the cartels operating marijuana grows in the forests were not only using more water than that, but were also using illegal pesticides and then dumping into the water supply--no one seemed to have a problem with that.
Funny how that works out, isn't it?

If the almond groves go, or other ag fields, they'll switch to "highest, best use"-housing developments with lawns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 07:10 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Good luck. I tried pointing this out in the last round of the almond witch trials but it generally falls on deaf ears (blind eyes?).

Ok and what percentage does that represent for the WORLD's almond supply? There's a hint right in this same post. We went over this before.

Disregarding all that, what exactly is your point? What's an "overinvestment" in your mind? Are you suggesting that farming be regulated to control exports and that only crops slated for domestic use be allowed to be grown? Because if so, that's a really naive view of how global agriculture works. You're certainly entitled to that opinion though.
Let's take a look at what "overinvestment" means, in this case. For one thing, it's about REIT's buying up marginal land and planting it with almond trees as an investment scheme. That's where some of California's precious water is going. It's just another example of REIT's run amok, and they're cashing in on the fact that agriculture is the priority use for California's water, and they're probably getting subsidies for that, as well. Are you ok with that?

Water to grow food is ok, someone else said. Food for whom? When water becomes scarce, it may come down to a choice between water for food for Americans vs. water for food for "global agriculture". Who knows what kind of tough choices will have to be made in 50 years or possibly even 20 years. Who knows if agriculture will even be viable in CA in 50 years.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How much water goes to vineyards to create wine?
The wine industry uses about 3% of agriculture's share of CA water, I just read.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:08 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,457,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Let's take a look at what "overinvestment" means, in this case. For one thing, it's about REIT's buying up marginal land and planting it with almond trees as an investment scheme. That's where some of California's precious water is going. It's just another example of REIT's run amok, and they're cashing in on the fact that agriculture is the priority use for California's water, and they're probably getting subsidies for that, as well. Are you ok with that?

You're dodging the question and I can't really give you my opinion on something that is predicated on a lot of "probably"s with nothing to actually back it up. My friends who grow almonds here aren't an evil REIT run amok.

Quote:
Water to grow food is ok, someone else said. Food for whom? When water becomes scarce, it may come down to a choice between water for food for Americans vs. water for food for "global agriculture". Who knows what kind of tough choices will have to be made in 50 years or possibly even 20 years. Who knows if agriculture will even be viable in CA in 50 years.

Ok, but in the here and now?

btw - We export lot's of ag globally.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The wine industry uses about 3% of agriculture's share of CA water, I just read.
Is wine food?
And what about wine exports?

Is your point that ag should be restricted to only approved crops based on their domestic use and some subjective value "bang for the buck" sort of metric? Or should ag get to continue deciding which products will maximize their investment most, including the cost of water to produce them? Because that's how it works in a semi-free economy. No different than any other industry.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:13 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How much water goes to vineyards to create wine?
Leave wine out of this

Old 07-07-2022, 08:55 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Is wine food?
And what about wine exports?

Is your point that ag should be restricted to only approved crops based on their domestic use and some subjective value "bang for the buck" sort of metric? Or should ag get to continue deciding which products will maximize their investment most, including the cost of water to produce them? Because that's how it works in a semi-free economy. No different than any other industry.
I don’t think it is at all silly to make these observations about how agriculture uses water. In our free-market, capitalist economy and ‘democracy’, yes, businesses get to pretty much expand and market however they want and can find ways to - short of being overtly destructive to society, in which case legislation is empowered to step in and create safety guardrails.

The idea that a luxury product can be produced in its vastly largest part for export by means of gross over-utilization of an essential public resource is frankly anathema to good governance.

You are correct our economic model allows it. But that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing … nor that we are powerless to limit it.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:27 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Leave wine out of this
Ha ha or good beer

Old 07-07-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
You're dodging the question and I can't really give you my opinion on something that is predicated on a lot of "probably"s with nothing to actually back it up. My friends who grow almonds here aren't an evil REIT run amok.
My cousins who converted their entire farm to almonds aren't an evil REIT, either. That was just an example.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I don’t think it is at all silly to make these observations about how agriculture uses water. In our free-market, capitalist economy and ‘democracy’, yes, businesses get to pretty much expand and market however they want and can find ways to - short of being overtly destructive to society, in which case legislation is empowered to step in and create safety guardrails.

The idea that a luxury product can be produced in its vastly largest part for export by means of gross over-utilization of an essential public resource is frankly anathema to good governance.

You are correct our economic model allows it. But that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing … nor that we are powerless to limit it.

Well, I didn't say it was silly to ruminate on the subject on the internet. That's fine and I wouldn't be here if I didn't think it was worth discussing.

But do we really want to go down that rabbit hole though (i.e. making regulations in that manner)? That's a pretty slick slope to navigate. How would lawmakers even come up with a standard to measure production worth for any resources pumped into consumer products?

Even sticking to just agriculture, would it be something like making sure all food stuffs meet a certain number of calories per growth energy? I'm asking because I can't think of a good way to quantify this. And then how is it enforced? If you're a farmer making decent profit on product X, and the all-knowing government comes along and says, "look, instead of doing what you're doing, you now need to use all your land, water resources, labor, etc. to grow this low profit crop that we can turn into gruel for Unicef to distribute around the world", would you be ok with that? If it were me, I'd subdivide all the farm land and get out of the business.

More to the point of this thread, banning almond growers doesn't solve the multi-faceted water issue. Also, as has been pointed out in every one of these threads, the so-called water footprint for meat is much higher but for some reason the irrational blame always comes back on nut growers. And once more, the idea that almonds are somehow unique in the world of agriculture because they are exported in such high numbers is wrong. We simply grow the majority of the world's almonds here which is why that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California