Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 07:55 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Talk about a California industry that will have a hard time finding sympathy:

” A billion pounds of California almonds stranded at ports amid drought, trade woes” …

“It’s all about money,” Phippen, 72, said, shaking his head in frustration on a recent hot and sticky morning. “After years of prospering together, foreign shipping vessels have decided to stop servicing us.”

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...ng-the-squeeze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 08:06 AM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
"......and to grow a pound of almonds requires about 1,900 gallons of water....."

Wow! I had no idea.

Is that why they're unpopular?

Old 07-06-2022, 09:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Almonds have always been my favorite nut. When we lived in California (Castro Valley) I planted an almond tree in our back yard, and we got more than enough every year from it. After the first couple of years I never watered it, but then we were not in the hot Central Valley.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:50 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
"......and to grow a pound of almonds requires about 1,900 gallons of water....."

Wow! I had no idea.

That little factoid is meaningless until it is put in context. Growing ANY food substances requires a lot of water, and almonds are not an outlier in this regard. People need to eat.

Quote:
It takes about the same amount of water to produce one pound of almonds as it does one pound of walnuts, cashews, or olive oil. Beef, as an example, takes more than double the amount of water than almonds to produce one pound of beef versus one pound of almonds.

In terms of gallons per kilocalorie, rather than gallons per pound, almonds actually outperform sheep & goat meat and are roughly consistent with poultry products, while significantly outperforming beef. In terms of water used per gram of fat or protein, almonds even compare favorably with some legumes, root crops, and some cereal grains like rice.
https://farmtogether.com/learn/blog/...onds-water-use

And this is a very practical take on it:

Quote:
Over the last few decades, there’s been a shift from low value (cotton, rice) to high value (almonds, pistachios) agriculture in California as the effective cost of water has increased. In a real sense, the almond industry is the future of California agriculture—high value, high efficiency, but still high consuming. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, as it makes most sense to use a scarce resource for the highest value application possible.
https://slate.com/business/2015/04/a...as-future.html

Old 07-06-2022, 10:53 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
I remember during the last drought people complaining that almond trees should be cut down to save water. But when it was pointed out that the cartels operating marijuana grows in the forests were not only using more water than that, but were also using illegal pesticides and then dumping into the water supply--no one seemed to have a problem with that.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

Wow! I had no idea.

Gee, ya think that might be it? Yes, doc. "Bingo", as they say. Plus, it's the fact, that the overinvestment in almond groves that's been going on for the last couple of decades or so, has been mostly for export, not to feed people in the US.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:04 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Thanks for the responses to my questions.

I'll admit, almonds, along with walnuts and peanuts in the shell, are one of my go-to snacks.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:26 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Gee, ya think that might be it? Yes, doc. "Bingo", as they say. Plus, it's the fact, that the overinvestment in almond groves that's been going on for the last couple of decades or so, has been mostly for export, not to feed people in the US.
Sending the almonds away for export is a legitimate complaint. But the fact that water is being used to grow food is really not.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:54 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That little factoid is meaningless until it is put in context. Growing ANY food substances requires a lot of water, and almonds are not an outlier in this regard. People need to eat.

https://farmtogether.com/learn/blog/...onds-water-use

Good luck. I tried pointing this out in the last round of the almond witch trials but it generally falls on deaf ears (blind eyes?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Ok and what percentage does that represent for the WORLD's almond supply? There's a hint right in this same post. We went over this before.

Disregarding all that, what exactly is your point? What's an "overinvestment" in your mind? Are you suggesting that farming be regulated to control exports and that only crops slated for domestic use be allowed to be grown? Because if so, that's a really naive view of how global agriculture works. You're certainly entitled to that opinion though.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:57 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
How much water goes to vineyards to create wine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California