Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 01:00 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,064,911 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised here. The state has changed over the years, no doubt. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to have traveled to 32 out of 50 US states so far (hope to visit all of them one day before I leave this earth) and many international destinations. While CA is not perfect (I don’t know of a place that is, frankly), it works for us.

I have friends & family that have left the state for New York, Texas, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Nevada and most have stayed at their transplanted locations, but a few have come back, citing various reasons.

I’d still live in CA if I could start over, generally CA has been good for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 479 times
ut when I moved back after college/etc in my mid-20s? I wish I'd bought a home right away! That was in 2002, so I'd be sitting on a goldmine now. Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with how things worked out. Regrets don't do anyone any good, so there's no point in worrying about what could have been otherwise.

I'll probably relocate within the next few years, just because I'm getting ready to semi-retire + all my family is gone (dead or moved) from here now. It's been good to me, though. And I don't work in tech or anything like that, for the record. I'm a librarian, but my salary is nearly double the national average for my position. I looked into relocating previously, and nobody else could pay me enough even when adjusted for COL

Old 10-08-2022, 09:53 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I can't say how California used to look or looks now to people in other states. I and many others here are natives. There is a big difference between living in a place you grew up in, however much it may have changed over time, and moving here as an adult and always being something of an outsider. It is hard to explain that to non-natives and people who have always lived elsewhere and are just looking in.

We own a house here, we own a business here, we raised our children here and they are now young adults. The thought of just up and leaving because "the state isn't headed in the right direction" doesn't ever cross my mind. It's home. I would probably tell someone who was thinking of moving here that whether or not it is a good idea depends on where they are going, what kind of opportunity they have, and what their expectations are. It definitely would not be a blanket "Yes, it's a great idea" or "No, don't even think about it."

That you can't say isn't solely because you're a native. It's because you're a native who didn't move out of state. Those who can say would include people who moved and live out of state and people who moved out and later came back.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:01 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
That you can't say isn't solely because you're a native. It's because you're a native who didn't move out of state. Those who can say would include people who moved and live out of state and people who moved out and later came back.
OK, fair enough. I could have said "lifelong" instead of native.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:34 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
I was born and raised there, we escaped in 1991 and it was the best decision for us.

Old 10-08-2022, 12:18 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I was born and raised there, we escaped in 1991 and it was the best decision for us.
The use of the word "escape" certainly reveals your opinion about California...

Old 10-08-2022, 12:32 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,934,109 times
I came to Los Angeles in 1975 with $ 600 in my pocket a year after college in Ohio. I had a BS degree, but no clear career path. I knocked around with entry level jobs (stock broker, retail buyer, sales) and finally got into real estate in 1979. The rest is history. I don't think I could do that today what with the COL.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:06 PM

675 posts, read 645,615 times
My mother moved out here in 1973 or so, so I was born here. However, most of my extended family seems to like Florida much better, culturallly, politically, and otherwise. I don't always agree with their politics, but I think it's a nicer mix of people. Many from the Midwest and South. Very all-American and not so hipster/snobby.

And again, most of my extended family either lives in FL now or prefers it to vacation. I need to stick in San Diego due to proximity with my parents, who are getting old. And while I am native to here, I spent 18 of my 46 years in other places in mostly other states. So I'm just plain sick of moving, even though part of me wants to live in the midwest, or NWFL.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:44 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
My mother moved out here in 1973 or so, so I was born here. However, most of my extended family seems to like Florida much better, culturallly, politically, and otherwise. I don't always agree with their politics, but I think it's a nicer mix of people. Many from the Midwest and South. Very all-American and not so hipster/snobby.

And again, most of my extended family either lives in FL now or prefers it to vacation. I need to stick in San Diego due to proximity with my parents, who are getting old. And while I am native to here, I spent 18 of my 46 years in other places in mostly other states. So I'm just plain sick of moving, even though part of me wants to live in the midwest, or NWFL.
A coworker friend is in a similar situation. He would prefer to move to FL and eventually retire *earlier* there. He has family in both locations and prefers FL to CA where he's lived most of his adult life. But because his daughter's family is still here including their new grandchild, he doesn't feel like he can leave. He's tried to convince them to move to FL. But their work won't allow it. So, even though he works remotely, he's stuck in CA at least for now.

In terms of vacationing, I prefer FL over CA as well. It's more tropical with more beautiful, clear, warm water during winter - no wetsuits required. But with family in CA, we'll always travel back. Otherwise, its way more fun vacationing elsewhere.

Derek

Old 10-09-2022, 04:59 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The use of the word "escape" certainly reveals your opinion about California...
Why yes, it does. I also said the best decision for us. Can I help it that the place we were both born and raised was becoming a claustrophobic concrete jungle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California