Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 09:38 AM

2,026 posts, read 983,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
I've been here almost 30 years and haven't done all the stuff on that list.

And of the two big cities, I've only cracked the surface in SF and have plenty still to explore here in L.A.

It would be a shame for the OP to do only the touristy things on the two days in L.A. and have the teens thinking that is all southern California has to offer.
I was referring to the silly notion that due to traffic/crowds it would take 3 months. A week is too little, but 3 months is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 11:34 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
Thanks all, good suggestions along with the idea that we split it as 2 separate trips for NorCal and SoCal. Lots of consideration but I think perhaps we can skip SF & Big Sur, and start at Yosemite and head toward LA with stops like Santa Barbara.

Old 07-13-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Thanks all, good suggestions along with the idea that we split it as 2 separate trips for NorCal and SoCal. Lots of consideration but I think perhaps we can skip SF & Big Sur, and start at Yosemite and head toward LA with stops like Santa Barbara.
Do some deep research on Yosemite, make sure you can get in there! Crowds can be legendary.

Old 07-13-2023, 05:50 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I was referring to the silly notion that due to traffic/crowds it would take 3 months. A week is too little, but 3 months is silly.
Trust me when I tell you that the excursion I'd be on would cover in excess of 25,000 miles. Most of it twisty. It would also take 3-4 sets of tires...

Crowds/traffic would be avoided...

But serious fun would be had. And this was only the route. Doesn't include festivals/amusement parks, etc. (This is where the crowds may or may not be.)

Want an example? Ok, how about Hwy 36? Lassen to Arcata. 1811 turns in 248 miles. I like to rail it from Red Bluff to Arcata. Takes about an hour and a half, if you're pushing hard. Lot's of fun on a *motorcycle, or newer Corvette...

* NOT a Harley, as they don't go/stop or turn...

Old 07-13-2023, 07:09 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,661,389 times
Quote:
You're very welcome. Your visit will be less stressful by planning two separate trips. If you're still considering Yosemite, please look into taking the YARTS bus from either Merced or Fresno into the park. Another option would be to visit Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks. They're accessed from Fresno and Visalia.

Also, if you're considering a visit to Los Angeles, plan your visit strategically. My co-worker and her family were recently in LA to meet up with relatives visiting from Canada. They stayed at an AirBnB located in Burbank and visited Universal Studios, the Santa Monica Pier and Malibu. She mentioned that there was up to a 2 hour wait for rides and attractions at Universal Studios. So plan accordingly.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:38 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
When/what time of year are you planning this trip for?

That would definitely change some of my recommendations.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Trust me when I tell you that the excursion I'd be on would cover in excess of 25,000 miles. Most of it twisty. It would also take 3-4 sets of tires...

Crowds/traffic would be avoided...

But serious fun would be had. And this was only the route. Doesn't include festivals/amusement parks, etc. (This is where the crowds may or may not be.)

Want an example? Ok, how about Hwy 36? Lassen to Arcata. 1811 turns in 248 miles. I like to rail it from Red Bluff to Arcata. Takes about an hour and a half, if you're pushing hard. Lot's of fun on a *motorcycle, or newer Corvette...

* NOT a Harley, as they don't go/stop or turn...
On topic and amazing, I guess?

Old 07-13-2023, 09:51 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times
Quote:
You had to have made reservation for Yosemite back in 2022 if you plan on going there. Its not a place where you can just drop in and stay at anytime.

If Santa Barbara, I really like the Hilton there. Affordable and has a Nice pool, its directly across the street from the beach and walking distance to the pier and all the cool shops and wine tasting shops. You could also rent one of the Hilton's bicycles if you dont want to walk. We spent 4th of July up there and it was about $450 - $500 per night for 3 plus dog.

For Disney, you need at LEAST a day or two. Just like Yosemite, you should have already made your reservations for the day(s) you want to attend. You cant just show up at any time if you dont have a membership/pass.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:12 AM

1,397 posts, read 676,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You had to have made reservation for Yosemite back in 2022 if you plan on going there. Its not a place where you can just drop in and stay at anytime.

If Santa Barbara, I really like the Hilton there. Affordable and has a Nice pool, its directly across the street from the beach and walking distance to the pier and all the cool shops and wine tasting shops. You could also rent one of the Hilton's bicycles if you dont want to walk. We spent 4th of July up there and it was about $450 - $500 per night for 3 plus dog.

For Disney, you need at LEAST a day or two. Just like Yosemite, you should have already made your reservations for the day(s) you want to attend. You cant just show up at any time if you dont have a membership/pass.
And, there is nothing to see in Whittier. NOTHING!!

Old 07-14-2023, 11:24 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
And, there is nothing to see in Whittier. NOTHING!!
You can stand with one foot in LA County and one foot in Orange County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California