Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 02:51 PM

5,241 posts, read 6,152,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Let me ask this then - does congestion in the park get a lot better toward the late afternoon/evening so we can actually drive from the Valley on through southward to hit Mariposa & our south exit hotel?
We entered midweek through the south entrance and again I don’t know what it will be like when you visit but for now you need to get in early and head to the shuttle area first thing as by 9:30 AM there was no parking available in the entire park. It wasn’t any better when we left at 3 PM. The shuttles were overwhelmed like a NYC subway car. Depending on you physical stamina they do rent bicycles next to the store and there were people riding bicycles everywhere to get around. Once you are in the park you can drive around but you will be fighting with everyone else for a parking spot.

I wish someone else would chime in who recently went there because the traffic and congestion blew us away.

This wasn’t my first trip to Yosemite but after this my wife and I both agreed it is no longer a bucket list item for us unless we were hikers. It is beautiful and amazing but again unless we were hikers I would not return.

Your mind is made up but the twins and my wife and I enjoyed returning to Sequoia. Definitely less stressful an we got more out of it.

We witnessed and experienced everything in the article below.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-pa...m-18175130.php

Last edited by JBtwinz; 07-21-2023 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 04:18 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
The park gate (South or West for example) - they don't open until 8am to take payment? Meaning if you're there by 6a-7am, you're stuck waiting anyway?

Old 07-21-2023, 04:44 PM

2,056 posts, read 997,011 times
Quote:
The park gate (South or West for example) - they don't open until 8am to take payment? Meaning if you're there by 6a-7am, you're stuck waiting anyway?
It's open 24/7 except for Hetch Hetchy. You can pay on the way in or out. The NPS warnings about multi-hour delays are daunting, though.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
It's open 24/7 except for Hetch Hetchy. You can pay on the way in or out. The NPS warnings about multi-hour delays are daunting, though.
I didn’t realize the gates were open 24/7. The wife had been following the traffic reports for weeks and she just told me we had to be at the south entrance before 8 AM which we were. It was just amazing that in an hour there was no parking to be found in the entire park.

I know the OP has made their mind up to visit but I still think unless you plan on hiking or camping I would pass. I just hope you don’t experience the crowds and traffic we did.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:44 PM

1,500 posts, read 887,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Hearst Castle in San Simeon would be a four and a half hour drive from Los Angeles. I would suggest visiting the Getty Center above the Sepulveda Pass (I-405) and the Huntington Library & Art Museum in San Marino northeast of downtown Los Angeles.
They are bringing teens. Two museums?

Old 07-21-2023, 07:57 PM

993 posts, read 545,633 times
Yosemite is suuuuper crowded this time of year. Just lettin you know.

Old 07-22-2023, 08:10 AM

This might help alleviate traffic a little, but it is still going to be tough going unless you arrive early.

https://www.sfgate.com/yosemite/arti...n-18254504.php

Old 07-22-2023, 08:20 AM

2,056 posts, read 997,011 times
I should say....there are people like my wife who can wait in traffic for hours at a place like Yosemite, walk/hike in crowds with cellphones and personal music speakers going off, and still say they 'saw' Yosemite and had a good time. Sometimes I envy them. But I need a lot more than that to really feel like I experienced Yosemite.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I should say....there are people like my wife who can wait in traffic for hours at a place like Yosemite, walk/hike in crowds with cellphones and personal music speakers going off, and still say they 'saw' Yosemite and had a good time. Sometimes I envy them. But I need a lot more than that to really feel like I experienced Yosemite.
I feel the same way. I do realize that my wife and I were very fortunate to have traveled as much as we have over the years. We were able to visit so many places both domestically and internationally before everything got so crazy.

Yosemite is beautiful but a mere ten years ago visiting during the summer was very relaxed and not hectic. Parking availability was readily available. Tourism post covid 19 has rebounded tremendously and I don’t think we will ever see leisure travel return to normal where you didn’t need to make reservations online to visit so many places as you do now.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:56 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Is it feasible to enter Yosemite from the south entrance (where our hotel is) and visit Mariposa Grove first, then shuttle toward Yosemite Valley?....

One other thing to consider is Tioga Rd will re-open tomorrow, so I'm hoping that will alleviate a lot of congestion. Time will tell.
Not sure about the congestion part. You might want to contact your hotel.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/faq.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yose/getinvolved...management.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California