Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 08:57 AM

115 posts, read 47,473 times

Advertisements

Typical liberal Californian telling people how to think and act. Sorry but almost a million people and rising can say and do what they want even though it hurts your poor little feelings. It’s called freedom and lots of Ca expats are reveling in it

Old 01-24-2024, 09:09 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,053 times
I moved to San Diego in 1978 and never left California. I often complain about our policies but I plan to drop dead here in our small town of Paradise.
Nevertheless, I do cherish and welcome all critics, real or phony. If nothing else the bad publicity slows down the onslaught of the millions who want to move here from every other state and foreign country.

When I read a newspaper I don't need to be told how great is life here - I already know that. I want to learn about the problems and what can we do to improve.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:33 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
^^ mgforshort. I feel the same way. There may be a thing or two occasionally that I don't like and will complain about but, overall, I've been happy living here. If I hadn't, I'd have moved. I don't give credence to those who come here to bash the state. Makes me think their personal life is pretty terrible that they focus on something outside of it and we tend to be the target. Pfffft

Old 01-24-2024, 09:36 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
We broke the record last year for consecutive 100 degree days with 45 in a row and I believe we had something like 70 days total over 100 degrees. And many of the others were in the mid 90s. Often with the humidity, you can crank the "feels like temperature up 3 to 4 degrees. Nope, nothing wrong with me physically nor any of the other people staying in. We're just not super human.

How hot is too hot for the human body?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tec...-survival/amp/

I remember having this conversation in the Houston forum and the people their claiming they were running around in temps like this all the time and that they "get used to it". No, no they don't but they do like to lie rather than admit the heat is unbearable. And "running around" in it doesn't mean going from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned store or restaurant.
People that live in Phoenix would laugh.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:44 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
But it's a dry heat.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:47 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
We broke the record last year for consecutive 100 degree days with 45 in a row and I believe we had something like 70 days total over 100 degrees. And many of the others were in the mid 90s. Often with the humidity, you can crank the "feels like temperature up 3 to 4 degrees. Nope, nothing wrong with me physically nor any of the other people staying in. We're just not super human.

How hot is too hot for the human body?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tec...-survival/amp/

I remember having this conversation in the Houston forum and the people their claiming they were running around in temps like this all the time and that they "get used to it". No, no they don't but they do like to lie rather than admit the heat is unbearable. And "running around" in it doesn't mean going from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned store or restaurant.

Oh, the irony.

Maybe I'm, not to mention millions of other Texans, just a little tougher than you? And for sure if you were really shut-in all summer you should move. Instead you complain about the weather, about the people/call some liars, about the governor/government, about our tax structure etc......ironic given the spirit of LAT bit and how white-hot sensitive you are about any criticism of CA.

I was in Dallas or Midland County almost every day of that same run last summer. One day (late June IIRC) Dallas sported an 80 degree dew point high. I read somewhere that's happened in Dallas a total of 5 days since WWII. Anyway, it was rough but I still played a round of golf, walked the dog - early and late, and unmounted a dead winch from my Jeep. Had I known it would be once a decade hot I might have eased off a little but I didn't know until watching the weatherman that evening. Anyhow, I'm still above ground.

Further, while you were trapped inside legions of men and a few women were working in attics replacing HVAC equipment, roofing, ranching - livestock don't take days off, working on oil and gas rigs, paving roads etc.

A plumber I know very well is 78yo........that guy is on his hands and knees outside digging holes, sweating and crimping copper pipe, gluing PVC etc. 5 and 6 days a week all year. Is he superhuman?

One of the cowboys on our ranch is 83yo. He's outside most of the time every day of the year.

Excuse the typos no glasses today.....

Old 01-24-2024, 10:00 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
And I'd laugh at them. I'd take a 90 degree day any day in Phoenix over a low 80s day in Austin. The humidity is the key.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:03 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
I’ve seen plenty of people in The California forums belitttle other states and they don’t live there, some have never even visited there.
Some posters here brag about California being the leader and setting trends. If that is true it only makes sense that out of state posters would discuss California as it may affect them down the line.
Finally some people who left still have concern how the state is doing as they have friends and family there and it affects them.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:03 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Oh, the irony.

Maybe I'm, not to mention millions of other Texans, just a little tougher than you? And for sure if you were really shut-in all summer you should move. Instead you complain about the weather, about the people/call some liars, about the governor/government, about our tax structure etc......ironic given the spirit of LAT bit and how white-hot sensitive you are about any criticism of CA.

I was in Dallas or Midland County almost every day of that same run last summer. One day (late June IIRC) Dallas sported an 80 degree dew point high. I read somewhere that's happened in Dallas a total of 5 days since WWII. Anyway, it was rough but I still played a round of golf, walked the dog - early and late, and unmounted a dead winch from my Jeep. Had I known it would be once a decade hot I might have eased off a little but I didn't know until watching the weatherman that evening. Anyhow, I'm still above ground.

Further, while you were trapped inside legions of men and a few women were working in attics replacing HVAC equipment, roofing, ranching - livestock don't take days off, working on oil and gas rigs, paving roads etc.

A plumber I know very well is 78yo........that guy is on his hands and knees outside digging holes, sweating and crimping copper pipe, gluing PVC etc. 5 and 6 days a week all year. Is he superhuman?

One of the cowboys on our ranch is 83yo. He's outside most of the time every day of the year.

Excuse the typos no glasses today.....
Giving an honest assessment is actually not complaining. And like the posters on the Houston forum, you expect people to believe your anecdotes over people such as doctors and scientists, who dare I say are more knowledgeable than the anonymous internet poster on a forum, that say it's unhealthy. I'll stick with the professionals. Apparently all the people in my neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods that are smart enough not to take walks in that type of heat aren't super human either, but you do you.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:10 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
I wonder if people adapt to weather. Living in the Bay Area all my.ife and moving to Georgia was a change weather wise. I don’t go out in the summer when it’s hot and humid, but I see a lot of people doing it. I’m a bit more used to it, but not going out then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California