Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 04:10 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
The author of that article is a liar. He says proposition 187 was a vicious attempt by Republicans to marginalize immigrants, yet the proposition passed with broad bi-partisan support
And it was challenged in a legal suit the day after its passage, then later overturned, since it was found to be unconstitutional under the Equal Protection Clause of 14th Amendment.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:19 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
folks bashing the Midwest, how terrible the climate is (the author does this in the article), or that its boring/backwards/whatever.

... For being the most populous state with the world's 5th (or 4th?) largest economy, the residents of CA sure seem insecure.
Yes; it's got to be that we're insecure. All the columnist said was, "trading an overpriced 900-square-foot home in L.A. for a mansion in Texas often comes with a big catch: You need to stay indoors half the year and make good use of all that extra, climate-controlled space."

Old 01-24-2024, 04:34 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Unless there is something wrong with you physically I just don't buy it. I'm in Dallas, almost 63yo and very active outdoors most days all year - I'll admit to not doing much a couple days last week. If I can do it so can you.
We broke the record last year for consecutive 100 degree days with 45 in a row and I believe we had something like 70 days total over 100 degrees. And many of the others were in the mid 90s. Often with the humidity, you can crank the "feels like temperature up 3 to 4 degrees. Nope, nothing wrong with me physically nor any of the other people staying in. We're just not super human.

How hot is too hot for the human body?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tec...-survival/amp/

I remember having this conversation in the Houston forum and the people their claiming they were running around in temps like this all the time and that they "get used to it". No, no they don't but they do like to lie rather than admit the heat is unbearable. And "running around" in it doesn't mean going from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned store or restaurant.

Last edited by blameyourself; 01-24-2024 at 05:11 AM..

Old 01-24-2024, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And it was challenged in a legal suit the day after its passage, then later overturned, since it was found to be unconstitutional under the Equal Protection Clause of 14th Amendment.
I find the lying has become the norm.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:46 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,009 times
I insult my state all the time and I'm not even leaving

Old 01-24-2024, 07:14 AM

1,071 posts, read 791,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes; it's got to be that we're insecure. All the columnist said was, "trading an overpriced 900-square-foot home in L.A. for a mansion in Texas often comes with a big catch: You need to stay indoors half the year and make good use of all that extra, climate-controlled space."
Apparently so insecure that you selectively quote me to make it seem like it said something I didn't? Yeah, not cool. Here's my quote in context:

Quote:
What a bunch of nonsense. I grew up in CA when it seemed like everyone was moving there. These new Californians LOVED to bash their former states. And you see it to this day in these forums - folks bashing the Midwest, how terrible the climate is (the author does this in the article), or that its boring/backwards/whatever.

And now the migration trend has ever-so-slightly reversed. For being the most populous state with the world's 5th (or 4th?) largest economy, the residents of CA sure seem insecure.
The author's dig at Texas is but one example of a long history of Californians doing this to other states.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:25 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,009 times
What i don't get is Californians leaving, then voting to change where they moved to into a clone of California?

High taxes, soft on crime, homelessness, welcoming illegal immigrants...

Old 01-24-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Apparently so insecure that you selectively quote me to make it seem like it said something I didn't? Yeah, not cool. Here's my quote in context:

The author's dig at Texas is but one example of a long history of Californians doing this to other states.
Uh huh, and "the dig" on the weather, despite being honest, apparently offends some. There are pros and cons to every place. And one of the big cons for Texas is indeed the weather. There are positives also. But pointing out at the weather is pretty unbearable during the summer isn't exactly a "dig".

Old 01-24-2024, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I lived in CA for 40 years, and would have probably happily stayed there if not for a vacation visiting the Seattle area. Exploring the eastside places like Carnation, Duvall, North Bend and where we ended up settling, Sammamish, we just couldn't resist the natural beauty, clean fresh air, peace and quiet, great schools. I was at a dead end in my career, no fault of the state, and our oldest was about to start high school, so it was a good time to make the jump north. Since then a brother, my parents, and my sister-in-law have also moved here from the Bay Area.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:49 AM

1,071 posts, read 791,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Uh huh, and "the dig" on the weather, despite being honest, apparently offends some. There are pros and cons to every place. And one of the big cons for Texas is indeed the weather. There are positives also. But pointing out at the weather is pretty unbearable during the summer isn't exactly a "dig".
Claiming it's six months is clearly an exaggeration, yet I never said it was dishonest. This is analogous to many of the criticisms directed at California: there some truth yet often exaggerated.

But all this is beside the point, which is that Californians can dish it out but they can't take it. So yeah, I stand by my original statement that this behavior reeks of insecurity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California