Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2024, 07:19 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Fair enough, but where is your source that it's so bad for you?
It's not just hot. It's dangerous:
https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...her%20symptoms.

Temperatures that top 100 can be life-threatening. Here’s what to look out for:
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...nd-what-to-do/

Heat Index Chart with Health Effects and Safety Recommendations:
https://www.azdhs.gov/documents/prep...ndex-Chart.pdf

Old 01-24-2024, 07:23 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's not just hot. It's dangerous:
https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...her%20symptoms.

Temperatures that top 100 can be life-threatening. Here’s what to look out for:
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...nd-what-to-do/

Heat Index Chart with Health Effects and Safety Recommendations:
https://www.azdhs.gov/documents/prep...ndex-Chart.pdf
Amazing anyone would question this and have to be supplied a source. Again, where's the common sense?

Old 01-24-2024, 07:31 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Why does the LA Times care what they say after thry're gone?

The LA Times lost tens of Millions last year and are laying off Thousands of employees, so what do they know?
Along with Business Insider and NPR that cut at least 10 percent of their staffs; the news division of BuzzFeed was shut down; News Corp cut 1,250 people; National Geographic laid off its remaining staff writers; Vox Media went through two rounds of layoffs; Vice Media filed for bankruptcy; Popular Science....

Maybe you prefer to read Twitter for your news.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:13 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Amazing anyone would question this and have to be supplied a source. Again, where's the common sense?
Denial. People tell themselves whatever fairy tale they need to justify their decisions.

https://www.govtech.com/em/preparedn...%20body%20core

No one's getting out of here alive. But its going to be even more brutal in the short term for those in places where the climate is crap to begin with.

First post in 6 years!

Old 01-25-2024, 07:05 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
And I'd laugh at them. I'd take a 90 degree day any day in Phoenix over a low 80s day in Austin. The humidity is the key.
I'm in SW Florida and the humidity is the killer here. If you want to know what it feels like do this: take a hot shower, don't dry off, put your clothes back on.

I'm one of those people who goes out very little from May-October. However, lately the heat/humidity is starting earlier and leaving later. Between that and the hurricanes (Ian devastated the area where I live), it's time for me to spend what time I have left on this earth living someplace that brings me joy. It isn't South Florida.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:05 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you on this. I don't see the benefit of living here if you can't be in a good location.
This means more than people realize.
In California people told me to buy a house in Los banos because it would be cheap. Life in Los banos is way less desirable than living the metro coastal areas.
For less money you can live a much better life in north metro Atlanta where I’m at now.
People will say wages are lower in Georgia, but is it any less than being in Los banos.

As far as being able to hack it in California, some people can hack it but their quality of life may not be as good as it would be living elsewhere. Why hack it when you can live a better life elsewhere. Hacking it in California doesn’t earn you any brownie points.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:19 AM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
I’m in Hawaii this week and while it’s beautiful it’s hot and humid in January! I love So Cal where we don’t have humidity and it actually feels like winter “light” with our cool crisp nights and warm days. Even our summer evenings are beautiful due to low humidity. It truly is my “paradise”.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:59 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
As far as being able to hack it in California, some people can hack it but their quality of life may not be as good as it would be living elsewhere. Why hack it when you can live a better life elsewhere.
I think this is subjective and based on what one person sees as "quality of life." If a person enjoys living next to or within a few minutes of the oceans, or thrives amidst steel, concrete and the hustle and bustle of city life, that side of the state is perfect for them. Others enjoy wide open spaces, a slower pace and has a love for ranching or farming. This side of the state works best for them. My late sister loved the city and that's where she lived. I prefer open spaces with lots of nature and that's where I live. We were both very happy with our choices.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:07 AM

2,894 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Los banos has some of the best weather in the central valley
Its kind of like modesto meets Sacramento with a sprinkle of san jose tossed in.

If you like/dont mind Sacramento weather, youll transition easily.
Easy weekend day trips to the coast and bay is another bonus.

But if living in Georgia is your thing. Have at it.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:24 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Los banos has some of the best weather in the central valley
Plenty of ranches too for those who love your neighbor but not that much and want some space between your home and theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California