Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:29 AM

777 posts, read 3,197,868 times

Advertisements

I'm native to So Cal (42 yrs) and am ready to get out (about 6 more yrs). For me traffic and hot weather are the main reasons.

All of the threads, for the states I have looked at relocating to (ID, MT, WY) all have at least one thread slamming Californians. Either we're trying to change the way they do things by not adapting to their way of life, (kind of ironic, since that is what we would like to ask of the illegals coming here), or we're driving up the price of RE which causes their property taxes to go up, and they can't afford that (low wages), along with some of the other aformentioned things about HOA's, buying lots of land and subdividing it etc.

When I do move, my plan is to buy at least 5 acres, and not subdivide it. I want to enjoy the beauty these states have to offer, without hearing my neighbors argue through paper thin walls.

It really does get tiring trying to defend myself as a Californian in these threads of other states. Guess I'll just make my move, and prove that not all Ca'ns are bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 12:15 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There's actually enormous amounts of space in California, ExNYC, believe it or not there is more to the state than Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco/Bay area.

In fact there are more acres in national forests, parks, and just plain raw wilderness than any other state in the lower 48. Most of the population is concentrated into a few cities, leaving an enormous amount of space occupied by farms, trees, desert, mountains, lakes, rivers, critters, etc.
Here's a sobering thought: the majority of California's population live west of the San Andreas fault. San Jose, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and San Diego are all located west of the fault; San Francisco sits on the north side of it. The larger cities east of it that I can think of are Fresno and Sacramento. There have been many disaster movies made and books written of what would happen if the San Andreas fault were to slip and all that expensive real estate slid into the Pacific. Las Vegas would almost be considered beachfront property, and the Salton Sea wouldn't have that lingering stench problem anymore!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 14,748 times
I would think that California would be better to live in than New York, where my husband is from and thinks is the greatest. It's a government controlled police state where you could get arrested for putting your foot on a blade of grass - although the people are very friendly. I've never been to California but it looks beautiful and I think I'd love the climate (although I'm terrified of snakes)

Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
It's just another typical stereotype.

People in other states need to blame someone for something, so it's easiest for them to pick Californians.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
It's just another typical stereotype.

People in other states need to blame someone for something, so it's easiest for them to pick Californians.
A lot of people from other states are resentful when equity loaded Californians move into their state and contribute to a price out of natives of that state. Also, some people in those states are resentful of trophy homes being built on previously unspoiled natural land. There are issues of overuse of water in some states. Suburban sprawl too. Probably another one is Californians bringing their culture with them to an environment with a more native culture.

Those are the complaints I hear most often, valid or not.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:29 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
never hear that word. there is that shotime show called califrnication. but i never heard californinate.

i suppose its another word some kook invented to express their distaste/jealousy of a place like cali.

your guess is as good as mine. but i have NEVER heard that word. its great how people make stuff up. next big word/phrase, and you read it hear first...

"the angelino effect"

what it means? who knos. just looking to make stuff up about a large diverse place that most people are secretly envious of.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:49 PM

The Red Hot Chili Peppers (rock band) even have a song called Californication.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:59 PM

6 posts, read 25,076 times
Default You mean

Californicate?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddette View Post
Californicate?
In a nutshell it means to bring (usually liberal) (new gay marriage as an example) California ways to another area and screw it up to the point that the new area is now the same screwed up mess that California is.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU-CANT-EAT-SCENERY View Post
In a nutshell it means to bring (usually liberal) (new gay marriage as an example) California ways to another area and screw it up to the point that the new area is now the same screwed up mess that California is.
When are your moving to Idaho? Couldn't it be sooner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California