Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Northern California really more laid-back than Southern California?
Yes 103 38.01%
No 85 31.37%
Can't really tell the difference between the two 28 10.33%
Varies from each individual 55 20.30%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
We grew up there. It ain't weak at all - it's truth. Visiting the beach cities several times per year, nothing's changed in that regard.
Goin' back down to OC again this weekend. 405 dictates what you do and don't do, day and night.

And there is no sprawl anywhere near that of L.A. metro in the Bay Area, not even the South Bay. People that are stuck in that SoCal sprawl want to get out once in a while, but it's a grueling effort to do so, so they most often opt for swinging on the hammock or a stroll to the local park. OTOH, the folks I know up here are constantly proposing planned or spontaneous trips far and wide across the Bay Area, even on weeknights. Maybe different for those who are too burnt from work to go out, but that's not everybody.
So... why are the freeways so crowded on the weekends?

“Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded.”
- Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
So... why are the freeways so crowded on the weekends?

For every forlorn family stuck on 405/101/10, there are many more who said "The hell with that", and fired up the bbq in back instead.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Still at a complete loss to see how there is more to do up here despite whatever small advantage Bay Area has in the traffic department. Everything you mentioned can be matched in Southern CA and then some.
Here, one may be drifting into the ethos that separates NorCal and SoCal. The old rivalry starts to come into play...it's not just the tangible stuff that's available, it's the sort of people that surround one while partaking of such. Kind of like saying "Going to a Dodgers game is the same as going to a Giants game". If you're a diehard fan of one, you're certainly not so of the other.

But we'll give SoCal the win in the beaches dept.

Meanwhile, the Warriors are going to make the playoffs, while the Lakers...

Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Probably the worst weekend traffic spot in the Bay Area is the stretch of 80 between Fairfield and Sacramento from all the people going to and from Tahoe, not exactly indicative of people exploring their own metropolitan area.

Though I suppose when the closest interesting city to visit is Los Angeles perhaps a fair amount of people are forced to visit these "distinctive" suburbs that offer the same thing as where they live, or maybe go hug some trees up in Tahoe.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
For every forlorn family stuck on 405/101/10, there are many more who said "The hell with that", and fired up the bbq in back instead.
And drain their pools for fun.

That would cause local freeways to resemble weekend autobahns. Minor reductions in volume make HUGE reductions to congestion. I circle Jewish Holidays on my calendar for that reason.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Though I suppose when the closest interesting city to visit is Los Angeles...
Are there a great many Bay Area denizens who agree with this? The place that garners more fire and brimstone than any other place in the world from BA faithful (esp. SF)?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Here, one may be drifting into the ethos that separates NorCal and SoCal. The old rivalry starts to come into play...it's not just the tangible stuff that's available, it's the sort of people that surround one while partaking of such. Kind of like saying "Going to a Dodgers game is the same as going to a Giants game". If you're a diehard fan of one, you're certainly not so of the other.

But we'll give SoCal the win in the beaches dept.

Meanwhile, the Warriors are going to make the playoffs, while the Lakers...
I never had a problem with the people I was surrounded in either place, I suppose maybe it's easier for some people to fit in both places and have a great time than others.

And your Warriors comment is a great example of what I was talking about when I say whatever you can do or see in the Bay Area you can in SoCal and then some. IF the Lakers don't make it you still have the Pacific Division winner Clippers in the playoffs

Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Are there a great many Bay Area denizens who agree with this? The place that garners more fire and brimstone than any other place in the world from BA faithful (esp. SF)?
That's unfortunate. I think Frisco is just swell.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
looking at the travel rates between the two cities YES quite a lot clearly do. They may deride LA as being inferior but don't seem to have a problem visiting it. Then they complain about traffic because they need reassure themselves the Bay Area is better. Seen in plenty.

Also lets not forget SoCal includes San Diego. That one two punch is impossible for anything up here to remotely come close to, no matter what delusional homers here think.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times
I really think it depends on where you live in the Bay Area or LA. I bounce all over the East Bay and SF on a weekly basis/daily, and because I live in Oakland near a BART stop and 5 mins from the Bay Bridge, it's REALLY easy to do so. I also go to Napa/Sonoma A LOT since it's usually less than an hour. In the past few years, I've made it down to Big Sur/Monterey/Santa Cruz a handful of times, but it's usually when people from out of town are visiting. Same deal with Yosemite/Tahoe.

Whenever I visit friends in LA, we rarely leave their side of town. If they live in Venice, we stay in Venice, in Hollywood, same thing- there's plenty to do in each respective area, so it's not worth it to leave. When I lived in SD, I'd be all over the place too on the weekends (PB/Gaslamp/Hillcrest/North Park etc) because it wasn't a hassle and there was less things to do, overall in each place.

I think there's more of a VARIETY of things to do in Northern CA (coast, forests, mountains, cities, burbs), but probably LESS things to do overall than the whole LA area.

In LA/SoCal there are more options for specific things (Beaches, desert, night clubs/shows), because each area builds itself up with options. But you don't have nearly the diversity/contrast of landscapes/environments you have up here

I'm one of the few people that like both NorCal/SoCal, although for my lifestyle I prefer the urban Bay Area to anywhere else in the state. Maybe it's because I've lived in both and enjoyed living in both places, instead of growing up confined to one or the other. Most people I know from NorCal that hate LA grew up here and haven't spent much time down there. Same deal with people in SoCal who always seem puzzled why I'd want to live where it isn't 80 degree beach weather all year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California