Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,795 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a small (ie population under 2000) california town with mostly sunny weather (no wind or fog or months of rain), near a river or some body of water? I'm a teacher who would like to buy a house, so I'm also looking for a town that has relatively cheap housing market, but where I could still find a job (perhaps in a larger town in a 30 mile radius). Really what I want to find is the phonecia, new york of california. Anyone? And is it possible to throw in a Whole Foods within 30 mile driving distance? Thanks y'all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
How much heat would you be willing to tolerate? It sounds like what you're looking for might be in the desert or central valley.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:18 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
or the inverse, how much cold could you tolerate, because there are also some towns in the mountains that may also suit you.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:48 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
you're looking in the desert most likely. the mountains would be too cold/cloudy i think in the winter considering what you're looking for. i would use lake elsinore as a starting point and look around that. there still are some small town type cities in the area i believe.

you also may want to check out julian in san diego county. im not sure of the cost of housing there, but its a nice quaint little town under 2k residents

Old 10-12-2008, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 16,752 times
Default Small Town and Sunny Weather in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfreshair View Post
Can anyone recommend a small (ie population under 2000) california town with mostly sunny weather (no wind or fog or months of rain), near a river or some body of water? I'm a teacher who would like to buy a house, so I'm also looking for a town that has relatively cheap housing market, but where I could still find a job (perhaps in a larger town in a 30 mile radius). Really what I want to find is the phonecia, new york of california. Anyone? And is it possible to throw in a Whole Foods within 30 mile driving distance? Thanks y'all!!!
If you are looking for a small town in California with somewhat fresh air and nice housing. You may want to head up to Northern California. Around the Santa Barbara area.
If you look hard you can find a home in Santa Barbara County for around $200.000. The area is nice and clean with a wonderful costal breeze. Lompock, Ca is just beyond Santa Barbara, also very nice. Just a few miles up the road you will find yourself on Pacific Coast Hwy. One of the most beautiful drives in California. It is worth the google if you check out the map.
The other areas mentioned on this sight such as Lake Elsinore are very HOT! in the summer. You will find alot of aparments, condo's and fast food restaurants. However if you manage to find an actual homes less than $600.000 your doing great. But you would have to love your neighbors the way they jam pack the homes in.
Good Luck .....

Old 10-13-2008, 02:05 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
Santa Margarita (SLO County). Relatively cheap is the question.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Check out the Sierra Nevada Foothills anywhere from Grass Valley down to Oakhurst along Highway 49. I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,880 times
Second that emotion about Calaveras county in the foothills. Great elevation. Typically below the snow line, above the fog line and we see four seasons. Lots of small towns. What price range are you looking at for housing?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needfreshair View Post
Sounds like you're looking for a village! Seriously, 2,000 population is a very small place by California standards, a cross-roads or lost outpost. You might find something in the desert, Sierra foothills, Owens Valley/east Sierra or northern CA mountain communities. It's unlikely that you'll find a community that small within 30 miles of a larger population area without feeling like you're in a larger populated area (i.e. a small incorporated city in a greater metro).

That said, there are a lot of smallish cities in CA, population 10,000 - 20,000, that offer a small-town feel. If you could expand your criteria to include them, you might have a more realistic chance of finding something that meets your other needs. Please ask if you need more info in this regard.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Check out the Sierra Nevada Foothills anywhere from Grass Valley down to Oakhurst along Highway 49. I think you'll find what you're looking for.
After looking up Phonecia, NY on the internet, I agree with the Sierra Nevada foothills - towns dating from the 1850 gold rush period such as Jackson, Sonora, Angels Camp, Jamestown (which has a railroad which looks like the Esopus train). You will have a hard time finding a Whole Foods store in towns with 2000 population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California