Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyk View Post
Curmudgeon, I wish So Cal was like you described in the 50s & 60s still. That's what Hollywood certainly still likes to portray it being. I guess that's the problem now, too many people, the weather is constantly breaking record heat and its not the beautiful orange groves anymore, its cement and freeways, too bad. That's why we are in Newport, one of the last remaining liveable areas in Orange County, amoung a few other south county coastal cities. As for Charles, we grew up skiing from the age of 3 in the winter in CO and I adore every single day with my toddler, I was just tired of the 90 degree heat here today after trying to enjoy both the beach and park this morning but had to leave due to how uncomfortable it was. In regards to neighborhoods, we live in the so-called "family neighborhood", port streets of Newport and yes there are a bunch of kids, mainly older but when the average home is 1.6 million you hardly have stay-at-home moms and a large majority of seniors living in this neighborhood as most of the homes were built in the 60's. No get me wrong, the winters are nice, the evenings are wonderful, but please send some clouds once in awhile for a change of pace!
Well, they do say "you can never go back home" and whoever "they" are is (I know, grammatically incorrect) right.

Back in "my" day, 85˚ was a hot day and the temperature usually hovered around 76-78˚ in the summer except for foggy, June gloom time. We had our share of tourists and traffic but by today's standards they were negligable. Our home on the island, built in the mid-40s like most of the first ones, cost $19K and there were only about 400 of them back then.

I, too, wish it was still like that. If it was and had been for all these years I'd still be there. Sorry you missed it and wish you luck finding the right place again.

We're leaving the state in 13 days for a house on a large lake in the MO Ozarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jads7 View Post
Our family are thinking about moving to the So. Calill. area and wanted to know if there is a lot to do there for a family with young children.
I am not taking the time to read what others have said, as they will probably pretty much the same as I am saying: one thing So Ca is not, is boring!!! there are plenty of things to do, both those costing bucks and those that are free.

Nita

Old 08-28-2009, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 46,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have four kids 11 and under and I think having kids to play with at your beck and call is ten times more important than climate or amenities. Kids want to play with other kids, in the street, on their bikes and scooters. Most communities have places to go to too. Is your neighborhood loaded with kids - meaning are there several kids to play with within say a four house radius? If not, then you have to resort to play dates which are quite a hassle.
I totally agree! We do a lot of family day trips and spend family time together, but one of my kids favorite things to do is play with their friends on our street! Fortunately our street is loaded with kids of all ages, so they are always out there and having a great time.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 PM

58 posts, read 161,533 times
go to the 99cent store thats where my dad took me and i took my kids, the toys break by the time they get bored to you wont have to step on them alot

Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times
I live in Orange County and I think it's boring for a trendy "hip" individual for me because it's TOO FAMILY ORIENTED but since that's what you're looking for you will probably love it. If you like family things there's plenty of that here. Problem is that I personally hate that type of environment, I find it terribly boring. I would like to live somewhere LESS family-oriented and boring.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,828 times
Quote:
Our family are thinking about moving to the So. Calill. area and wanted to know if there is a lot to do there for a family with young children.
Hello!

So Cal is a sunshine place that usually doesn't get much colder than 60 during the day in winter. Not much rain and a plethora of things to do ranging from Museums, National Parks, Beaches and Mountains all within no more than a 2 hour drive from each. The Real Estate and "space to move" can be a bit much as I think around 3 million Multi-Culturally diverse people + live here, so expect delays while driving on our freeways.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
The words boring and Southern California don't go together. There is always something to do here and the weather usually cooperates if what you like is outdoors. If you can't find something to do here then you'll probably be bored anywhere else you'd go.

BUT. the words boring and South FL certainly do.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Is it boring in Southern California

Yes - that's why hardly anybody lives here!

Old 03-15-2014, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
LA is boring as hell. people are too comfortable staying in their own areas and if you want to leave your neighborhood, prepare to drive 30+ minutes, and with traffic.....you do the math. people are lazy due to the nice weather and weed culture, they just get stoned and dont want to do ****. Compared to New York, where everyone is always getting ready to go out, and once you are on the street and hail a cab, you reach the destination of your choice in less than 20.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:08 PM

278 posts, read 277,337 times
Quote:
Depends where you are moving from (your expectations)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California