Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 AM

13 posts, read 32,037 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to suggest some areas in Southern California that would reflect my occupation, lifestyle, and living preferences? I've done some research myself, but I figured it would be best to hear from those who actually have experience living in Southern California. To sum up my situation, I'm 22 years old and will be graduating from Marshall University (Huntington, WV) this December with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management and a minor in Marketing. I'm really interested in going into music management, but being realistic, will take a decent entry-level management job in other fields (possibly retail). From my research, it looks like I'll be starting out at around 40 - 45k. With that income, and being single, I know that almost forces me to live in a studio apartment. As far as population, I prefer smaller cities, but can survive in larger ones if need be. I really enjoy the beach and would like to be close to an active beach community for my spare time. From what I hear, public transportation is a problem in many parts of SoCal, but I'd prefer having it as an option if at all possible. Even the option to bike or walk would be great. Another thing that I am looking for is an area that has a downtown nightlife that is safe for the most part. I realize every area has its crime, but I am looking for a city that at least has some section or two that is moderately safe during the night. Finally, I'm looking for an area that has a decent amount of singles and young professionals.

I know that is a very dreamy list that I've come up with and I will not be able to have all of those advantages. But, I figured I'd ask for some suggestions anyhow. I'm really interested to hear of smaller cities that I might have overlooked that come close to my criteria. Right now, I'm leaning towards Burbank because of the job options.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
You want to be close to L.A., I'm assuming?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 AM

Preferably, yes. But, I'm open to different areas if I can be persuaded. That's why I am asking for suggestions. I realize that there are great parts in California that I am overlooking. One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that job opportunities in my field have to be present in the area.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
LA would probably be prohibitively expensive, so I would look at coastal Long Beach or Huntington Beach. Since you're looking at retail that would put you in a more affordable coastal area than close to LA(Santa Monica, etc). LB also has its own business and industry, so even if you don't go retail there are plenty of other businesses local that may apply.

And for a "big city", Long Beach is pretty laid back. Not like LA at all

Old 10-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the input! I did not realize those things about Long Beach. However, I was under the impression Long Beach wasn't necessarily the safest place to live? What residential areas would be best suited for me? I'm Caucasian, and have no problem living in the same residential zone as other races, but would like to have some that are my race around. One of the biggest reasons is because not only would being a different race from those that I am surrounded by be an obstacle to overcome in itself (language barrier and what not), but also being from Kentucky and having a southern twang wouldn't make matters much better.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWA13 View Post
One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that job opportunities in my field have to be present in the area.
Do you know where these jobs are clustered? (You mentioned Burbank.) I would think (especially in today's employment environment), that you should get a job first, then look for housing close by.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:07 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
It's a 4 hr. drive to L.A., but San Luis Obispo does fit thre criteria. Job ops are limited though.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:15 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
San Diego has been called a "big city with a small town feel" which is true to a certain extent. So you probably would do fine here, there's plenty to do and it's a big city but not overwhelming. Great beach scene and culture, cheapest Coastal CA metro, good nightlife downtown and by the beach, decent transit system than you could rely on if you live and work in the right areas, and low crime. BUT on the other hand the job opportunities are somewhat limited since it's more of a resort city. For music I would think LA would have a lot more to offer but it's expensive and a huge city.

Check out the jobs situation in SD and see if there are one's for you. IF there are enough jobs that you would want to do then give it a shot. If not then I recommend looking into the LA Area.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely take a closer look into San Diego, as well as San Luis Obispo.

And Charles, I agree whole-heartedly with your statement about landing the job first. That leads me into my next question: What is the difficulty of landing a job in California via the internet (Craigslist, CareerBuilder, etc.)? I mean, do employers there usually take the time to contact people that are interested in a position that are all the way on the East Coast? I'm not in a particularly good location for jobs myself (WV), but am close to a lot of bigger cities nearby (WV, KY, OH) and I've not heard of many success stories around here from people who have applied for jobs online in those particular cities. Just curious to hear if the hiring process is a little bit different in California as you all are the ones with the technological edge. My area has always been slow to adapt to technological change.

Also, can anyone comment about the safety in Long Beach?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWA13 View Post
Thanks for the input! I did not realize those things about Long Beach. However, I was under the impression Long Beach wasn't necessarily the safest place to live? What residential areas would be best suited for me? I'm Caucasian, and have no problem living in the same residential zone as other races, but would like to have some that are my race around. One of the biggest reasons is because not only would being a different race from those that I am surrounded by be an obstacle to overcome in itself (language barrier and what not), but also being from Kentucky and having a southern twang wouldn't make matters much better.
Southern twang shouldn't hurt. We have plenty of transplants here.

Anyways, in Long Beach you want to stay mostly in the coastal areas(within a few blocks), Belmont Shore, Naples, east Long Beach(east of Lakewood Blvd), or Bixby Knolls for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California