Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 PM

8 posts, read 77,480 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family is looking to relocate to Central California. I have been looking at all the many posts but I am unable to "narrow down" to a particular city without first knowing which cities are the most popular.

We have a 6-year old and a 15-month old and looking for a city that is good to rasie children. We are also looking for a city that has rather decent schools.

I understand there are some cities with drugs, gangs and prisons. So basically, which cities should we avoid like a "bill collector" and which cities are safe, cultural, decent schools, stores-shops, affordable housing?

We are currently in Northern California and are looking to relocate to Central California. I understand the air quality isn't the best in Central California....are there "any cities" where breathing is possible???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybee View Post
Hello,
My family is looking to relocate to Central California.
We are currently in Northern California and are looking to relocate to Central California.
Why do you want to move to Central California?
What line of work are you (two) in?
What is your budget?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 PM

8 posts, read 77,480 times
Default Thank you for responding....

Hello,

Thank you for responding.....
My husband is in Judgment Recovery and I run a stay at home Day Care.
Our budget for "housing" is around $1500 a month, this does not include utilities, food, incidentals, etc. But as for RENT goes, we want to stay around or below $1500 per month until we decide to buy a home.

So, being around school aged children "elementary" would be nice to further support my in-home daycare. Also, this also corresponds to the need for safe environment, no gangs, drugs and prisons. I don't know if this pretty much "wipes out" all of Central California all together....but I thought I ask just in case.

So, are there any cities in Central California "realistically" that can meet those standards?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:51 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,765,713 times
my top 2: San Luis Obispo and Fresno
others: Salinas, Santa Maria, Paso Robles, Monterey, Orcutt, Carmel, Pismo Beach, Tulare, Delano

Old 06-05-2008, 06:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybee View Post
We have a 6-year old and a 15-month old...

...as for RENT goes, we want to stay around or below $1500 per month until we decide to buy a home.

So, being around school aged children "elementary" would be nice to further support my in-home daycare.
You need a home to support two adults and two children and you want to run a daycare in it and you want to do this for $1500?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You need a home to support two adults and two children and you want to run a daycare in it and you want to do this for $1500?

Possible if they have a down payment and are buying. Renting? I don't know. I also know you need permits from the City/County to run a day care. I don't know how many hoops there are to jump through, or how much it costs to get established. It might not be worth it if they are renting short term.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 AM

169 posts, read 764,993 times
Please don't call it Cali.
Unfortunately, you won't be able to rent anything on the Central Coast for that AND include a day car in the home.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 AM

101 posts, read 582,124 times
I think you might be able to do it in Visalia--which is a very nice town--or any of the other towns nearby such as Exeter, Tulare, Hanford. The air quality is not the best, but it's not much different from LA where millions of people seem to manage okay.
If you insist on cleaner air, you'll need to look toward the coast--might try Santa Maria.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,075,361 times
Either Clovis or Fresno fits your criteria.

Wherever you choose in the Central Valley, check out the neighborhood school before you rent/buy. There can be a wide variation in schools in the same school district.

And yeah I agree with AlwaysSmiling, don't use "Cali". It's like using "Frisco". It may seem cool but a lot of us don't use it and laugh at those who do.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
Please don't call it Cali.
Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California