Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:46 PM

259 posts, read 765,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I can't believe all this is hoopla b/c of a word. On either side of the argument.

So are you seriously telling me that people who are currently against gay 'marriage' would be happy to vote for equal civil rights if gay people just called it something else? Like kerpakapookie or something? And allow the same inheritance rights, parental rights, property rights, etc?

Are you saying religious people are just trying to protect a word? And otherwise, they would be ok to let gays get kerpakapookied, adopt/raise children, etc?
I know I said I was done, but I just couldn't resist responding to this intelligent, if confused, response!

No, not all would be "okay" with it...but enough of us rational people would join in to make up enough of a majority to make it happen. However, when you try to take our beliefs about marriage and twist it to fit your own ideals about it then we move on over to the other side and make up the majority to protect it. The point is, if you worked towards finding a reasonable compromise then the response would be far more favorable. At least from people like me. The courts ruled that religion had no right to call marriage their own...when, in fact, religion has owned the rights to marriage for centuries. I'm sorry if many of you disagree, but it is fact. You can't just strip someone's age old right away just because you don't believe as they do. That is, by definition, bigotry. I do not advocate denying gay couples the same rights under state law as married couples, but it needs to be called Civil Unions or "kerpakapookied" as you put it... That would be a situation that at least 10-15% of us YES ON PROP 8 voters would be open to voting in favor of. The problem I have found is that the gay lobby doesn't want equal rights...they want to punish the religious folks for the punishment they have endured in years past. That is not a lobby seeking equality, that is a lobby seeking retribution.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:50 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,690,695 times
I haven't through this thread but I am just going to throw this out here.

Republican San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders last year gave a tearful speech to the city for his support of same sex marriage and his lesbian daughters right to marry. And Dick Cheney reversed his support for a constitutional amendment too b/c of his daughter.

Newsblog | Mayor and daughter oppose Prop. 8 in magazine

What I always think people should do to understand an issue or side of an argument is to put yourself in someone else's shoes then evaluate your position.

For all of the Prop 8 supporters, if you child was gay would you be fine with taking their right to marry away?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
we still have a ways to go before society can accept the reality of modern California.
I believe our definitions of reality differ.

In my experience, a political reality is made of the collective opinion of a majority of citizens. It appears we have a ways to go before society can change the reality of modern California.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM

13 posts, read 35,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I can't believe all this is hoopla b/c of a word. On either side of the argument.

So are you seriously telling me that people who are currently against gay 'marriage' would be happy to vote for equal civil rights if gay people just called it something else? Like kerpakapookie or something? And allow the same inheritance rights, parental rights, property rights, etc?

Are you saying religious people are just trying to protect a word? And otherwise, they would be ok to let gays get kerpakapookied, adopt/raise children, etc?

Many would probably fight against adoption.

You would be surprised by how important what you say and think is. It isn't exactly the word marriage, its the meaning behind it. Marriage should always be indicated as just being between a man and a woman. What would be the problem with it being just a more in-depth form of a partnership?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:00 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,168,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
I believe our definitions of reality differ.

In my experience, a political reality is made of the collective opinion of a majority of citizens. It appears we have a ways to go before society can change the reality of modern California.
I'm not talking about you. Your arguments were confused, but it does seem that you support a shadow marriage that confers all the rights of real marriage. Fine by me. And you won't tell me to my face that God hates **** or that people like me will destroy society. You're not a real bigot. Those are the folks I'm talking about.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,362,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I haven't through this thread but I am just going to throw this out here.
For all of the Prop 8 supporters, if you child was gay would you be fine with taking their right to marry away?

just because your child chooses a differant lifestyle doesn't mean you have to go along with it, If my Son was a drug addict I wouldn't buy him drugs.
If you want people to walk in your shoes take the time to walk in theirs.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I'm not talking about you. Your arguments were confused, but it does seem that you support a shadow marriage that confers all the rights of real marriage. Fine by me. And you won't tell me to my face that God hates **** or that people like me will destroy society. You're not a real bigot. Those are the folks I'm talking about.
We are at peace then. I apologize for making any spiteful remarks towards you in the past few days.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:28 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,559,296 times
Being gay is not a choice. It just is. It's like being born with blue eyes or green eyes. Did you choose to be heterosexual? Well, neither did I. Do you really equate being gay with being a drug addict?!

My daughter says she's bisexual, which means she gets hit from both sides with objections and criticism. Her sexuality can only be defined by her. I don't have the right to do that, and neither does anyone else. No matter who she chooses to marry, I'll be there to support her. That's what Prop. 8 would take away from people like her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
just because your child chooses a differant lifestyle doesn't mean you have to go along with it, If my Son was a drug addict I wouldn't buy him drugs.
If you want people to walk in your shoes take the time to walk in theirs.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:28 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,168,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
We are at peace then. I apologize for making any spiteful remarks towards you in the past few days.
Same to you. Whatever happens, the seeds are sown for what we both ultimately want, so hopefully it will just come out in the wash. Pity this proposition had to come along and stir up so much discontentment though.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,992,314 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California