Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:40 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,792 times

Advertisements

Nobody asks the most obvious question: Why should marriage confer rights?
Rights are individualistic. Just get marriage and all it's ramifications out of the government's control and this nonsense wont matter.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:45 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
just because your child chooses a differant lifestyle doesn't mean you have to go along with it, If my Son was a drug addict I wouldn't buy him drugs.
If you want people to walk in your shoes take the time to walk in theirs.
I wasn't talking about MY child, I am talking about your child. Being gay is NOT a choice either, ask any gay person that.

I have thought about it from other people's position and in a previous thread I agreed with Zapparulez reasons for being Yes on 8 b/c I saw where he was coming from even though I am voting against 8. And if someone's religious views are against it, then I can't argue with that either.

Now why don't you actually try to answer the question instead of trying to turn this around on me.

If you have a child, or have one, and they are gay would you deny the the right to marry? It's a YES or NO answer, so don't try to spin it around. So YES or NO?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,259 times
My brother has children and him and his wife are against prop 8, gay marriage has been legal for months and nothing has happened, so i dont see the chaos this is causing?!, people just talk **** because honestly they have nothing better to do.

NO ON 8! Why should we scrap anyones rights!? THIS IS AMERICA! Land of the FREE.

In my home state New Mexico there is no law on same sex marriage, which means anyone can get marred, we are the only state with no law, thank god.. we are too busy thinking of important issues.

Last edited by bradly; 10-29-2008 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post

YES ON 8! Why should we scrap anyones rights!? THIS IS AMERICA! Land of the FREE.
do you mean "NO" on 8? A no vote allows for gay marriage to remain legal, as it currently is, in Ca.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Being gay is not a choice. It just is. It's like being born with blue eyes or green eyes. Did you choose to be heterosexual? Well, neither did I. Do you really equate being gay with being a drug addict?!

My daughter says she's bisexual, which means she gets hit from both sides with objections and criticism. Her sexuality can only be defined by her. I don't have the right to do that, and neither does anyone else. No matter who she chooses to marry, I'll be there to support her. That's what Prop. 8 would take away from people like her.
I respect your opinion that being gay is not a choice and i understand why people want to belive it but I believe it is a learned and choice behaviour.
I don't have a problem with anyone being gay but i just don't see two gay's as husband and wife, my niece is gay and we love each other just the same.
I don't mean to say gay's are like drug addicts I just meant that I wouldn't support something I didn't agree with

Last edited by Roaddog; 10-29-2008 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 06:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
It's interesting that the religious are trying to 'protect' themselves..., whatabout the rights of the non-religious? Do we not deserve rights because we live in a society that puts 'godliness' above everything else? I'm an agnostic/atheist and I'm going to get married WITHOUT the churches help, guidance or blessing. I have yet to hear a feasible argument that doesn't involve the bible or g-d or church. And you can call me names all you want, say I'm 'narrow-minded' for believing in what I do, but when my friend Brandon can can married to his boyfriend Brian in California, after 9 years of being together, I will be a very very very happy lady

Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
do you mean "NO" on 8? A no vote allows for gay marriage to remain legal, as it currently is, in Ca.
My bad, i messed up.. just a bit, i know haha..got busy here (spaced out is a better word).

Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
In my home state New Mexico there is no law on same sex marriage, which means anyone can get marred, we are the only state with no law, thank god.. we are too busy thinking of important issues.
no kidding, I am so sick of hearing about this. Just live and let live and focus on things that actually matter on a day to day basis.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
no kidding, I am so sick of hearing about this. Just live and let live and focus on things that actually matter on a day to day basis.
Tell me about it, its like why is this such a huge issue, look at this countrys problems!!

So you voting yes or no?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Tell me about it, its like why is this such a huge issue, look at this countrys problems!!

So you voting yes or no?
This affects about 2-5% of the population and look at how much time is spent on it. I'm afraid if Prop 8 fails though conservatives will keep putting it back on the ballot. There is Prop 4, which is a parental notification law for abortions, that has failed twice before. This is the 3rd time in 4 years we have voted on this. These social conservatives only care about the "will of the voters" when it fits their agenda apparently.

I am voting NO. Let and let live and keep govt out of our personal lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California