Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 01:29 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,192,930 times

Advertisements

Good perspective...thanks for explaining that...definitely something to keep in mind and consider! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 01:52 PM

59 posts, read 191,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Is humidity really that big of a deal? I honestly can't comment on that because the only places I've ever lived are AK,WA, and now CA. ...
I was raised in Fox, Alaska, north of Fairbanks on Steese. It is humid there year round. I remember ice fog coating everything in the morning and the mosquitoes at breakup will suck you dry if you were outside because of all the sweating you did. I doubt anywhere in the lower 48 beats Alaska on mosquitoes or humidity in the spring.

I currently live and work between Houston and Huntington Beach and there is no compassion most of the time. In Houston it is so hot and humid during the summer that it is difficult to exercise or do anything outside, day or night. Heatstroke is easy to understand as the sweat simply stays on the body instead of evaporating and cooling you.

In HB the heat is nowhere as unendurable as Houston. It is sometimes humid, week before last it was very foggy most of the day for three days, but the general trend is a dry, moderate heat. The sun is usually very intense in the afternoon and will burn you quick, but humidity is not bad. Night time in CA always cools things off, not so in Houston where the humidity keeps things uncomfortable 9 out of 12 months of the year.

So to respond to your question, humidity can be a big deal for some. Others seen to be oblivious to it.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consider_Again View Post
I currently live and work between Houston and Huntington Beach and there is no compassion most of the time.
I too worked in HB and Houston. I distinctly remember the first morning I woke up at my Clear Lake hotel and walked outside at 7AM. I'd never felt heat and humidity like that. Weird. I remember going running at JSC in August at lunch. It was disgusting.

(data below are public domain)

Old 12-14-2008, 11:32 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,889,989 times
The Op must live in a different OC than the one I lived in for fifty years. Not much of his rant is factual....

Old 12-14-2008, 12:25 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,466,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I too worked in HB and Houston. I distinctly remember the first morning I woke up at my Clear Lake hotel and walked outside at 7AM. I'd never felt heat and humidity like that. Weird. I remember going running at JSC in August at lunch. It was disgusting.
Nothing like your glasses fogging up when you step out of the air conditioned car or building. I had that lovely experience in College Station a a few summers ago.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:51 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,615,648 times
Thanks for the graphs, Charles the humidity data tells the story. But Houston is further south of SoCal & near the warm Gulf of Mexico so high humidity is to be expected.

Today is barely 60F & all week will be cold w/ rain off & on just to stop the complaints.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,486,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northboycravesmist View Post
before I address the "sunlovers", this is for who ever is thinking of moving here...to Southern Cali...listen to me DO NOT MOVE HERE...it isnt what you think....they like to paint the feeling of eternal sunshine and its sucks.... ..so STOP.....The weather is eternally 81 and muggy,,,plus humidity in summers.....I moved here in 1984. The weather is one of the WORSE things about this place...we are not lizards and cactus plants, we as humans have to have ALL 4 seasons in order to be normal..this place is NOT normal...I never figured out y someone who wouldnt eat the same "meatloaf" every night, or go to sleep with the lights on, or was on amphetamines, would want sunshine everyday the same way the same heat....it is so annoying.....NOW TO SOCAL californians..u "Stepford wives" and robotic morons......lets see in order to understand the rest of this message you need to first understand that you socal residents are PATHETIC....your "doctrination into prostitution started when you pray and want 81 degrees F everyday, when it is mildy raining there are accidents, when its foggy, u have depression,,,eventhough its only from 7 am to 9 30 am.....I saw the forecast the other nite and it was to be drizzling for 3 hours DRIZZLE, they called it a "Stormwatch"......u people are pathetic..."but the weather"...its more like "Butt-The -Weather"...YOUR LIVES and ur standard of living is so PATHETIC and so BAD you actually have come to believe everythiing you tell ur non cali Americans...Its expensive because u go to the bank, borrow ur pathetic hearts out overspend, live outside your means and then get worried when you forclose?????HOW PATHETIC ARE YOU......the opposite of easy is not easy..as in "un-easy" as in dis-ease.....your traffice.....listen to me....traffic here is an EPIDEMIC DISEASE....ur pathetic......so traffic, expensive, and heat and annoying...the streets are not paved with gold...they are paved with bronze...the oxidation of ur pathetic neglect for elegance......I cant think of a worse place to live than here./...u need a slap in the face and a wake-up call...u dont need a bail out u morons, u need an exorcism!!!! down with CALI...
Your opinion is duly noted...

Old 12-14-2008, 06:12 PM

499 posts, read 2,158,067 times
I lived 38 years in Orange County, California, 3 years in Central America and the last year in Houston, Texas and I don't believe Southern California's "humidity" is in the same category as humidity in Costa Rica or Houston. if you have seen Pulp Fiction - think of the foot massage discussion.

But the rest of the post wasn't necessarily wrong. Focusing pretty much on the negative, but not off base.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:40 PM

852 posts, read 3,816,133 times
It is not that humid in Riverside; I lived there much of my life. It is quite humid in San Antonio, but as others have pointed out, humidity is but one factor in weather, which is but one factor in quality of life. There is a certain weather premium to live in Southern California, but if that gets too costly, there are other areas a step or two down in climate that would be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California