Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,808,607 times

Advertisements

Good start. I feel bad about the state parks, but they can raise fees temporarily until the budget can make room for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:27 AM

341 posts, read 690,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Good start. I feel bad about the state parks, but they can raise fees temporarily until the budget can make room for it.
ditto

Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,475,202 times
Also, you notice no mention of a gradual transition away from defined benefit programs for state workers. In other words, starting with a given "incoming class" of new workers, effective on some date, no pension plan but a 401K (or equivalent) instead.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM

136 posts, read 550,133 times
It looks like a good start to me, of course there is still more that can be cut.
The only item on the list that I don't agree with is the cut to state parks.
All services to illegals should be cut, they aren't contributing and they are here illegally, so why should they get any services? If they need emergency medical care, they need to be billed for it.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:02 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,350,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california5 View Post
It looks like a good start to me, of course there is still more that can be cut.
The only item on the list that I don't agree with is the cut to state parks.
All services to illegals should be cut, they aren't contributing and they are here illegally, so why should they get any services? If they need emergency medical care, they need to be billed for it.
I agree. And it sounds good. Except the billing part. Where are you going to send the bill to?

If they are illegals, what's to prevent them from becoming a skip?

And don't EVEN get me started on the whole anchor babies thing....

But that would be a change required at the Federal level. And who's got time for that when that's the same demographic that both parties are tripping over themselves to cater to?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:26 PM

9,896 posts, read 22,084,138 times
The public unions (state workers & teachers) OWN the ca legislature. Someone has to pay for their salaries,benefits,healthcare & pensions. Unfortunately its us. Many of them are lazy & dont deserve a dime. Lets not forget the low life legislature & their salaries as well. What a corrupt state ! THE PUBLIC UNIONS ARE THE CALIFORNIA LEGISLATURE.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 PM

807 posts, read 1,305,719 times
The cuts sound like a good start.. I like all but the education and State Park cuts, but they are necessary especially in this time of fiscal Emergency..

Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,390,914 times
I would like to see what conditions will be placed on inmates being released. Will they be supervised? If they are, who will supervise them? Paroles are already short staffed. The gov says low level non-violent, but what criteria will he use? Will they consider past offenses, or just the offense that landed them in prison this time? Releasing that many inmates into an economy with no jobs is asking for trouble. LA County will get the largest influx of inmates, they will be released to their offending county. Good times for those that live there.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,144,899 times
So where are the cuts in pay and benefits for public workers? That is where most of the money is spent. What are they going to eliminate everything else?

Things that don't make sense should be eliminated. But good programs (like CalGrants) should not be eliminated while others not even reduced. Reduce all the worth while spending, not just some of it.

There is some truth to welfare slugs leaving though. Some states use the so called "Grey hound" solution to get rid of these people to states like California. I guess Portland can get busy building more shanty towns.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:37 AM

24,477 posts, read 23,178,140 times
The path to California's recovery should start at removing judges from the bench. Clean house and then go after lawmakers and bureaucrats and and then you'll be able to get the needed changes to save the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California