Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,532,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
So where are the cuts in pay and benefits for public workers? That is where most of the money is spent. What are they going to eliminate everything else?
I'd say that a 10% reduction in pay through furloughs is a good start on the cuts you'd like to see state workers had to endure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 02:12 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,077,289 times
This is a GOOD start! Although, I am not sure if this is a scare tactic or steps CA is actually going to take?

I'm not big on inmates so I'm not sure why we were footing the bill for them to get a college education. I know a lot of you all will disagree with me but they can get this training on the outside which we end up paying for as well. It makes me a bit nervous to know some of these convicts will be getting out early.

Don't like that health care coverage for children will be cut but I guess the state is waiting for the Obama plan/funding to cover costs.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:20 PM

943 posts, read 3,163,955 times
If the people do not get their welfare they will be forced into the street and will start committing crimes. At least the welfare keeps them out of trouble for the most part. I would rather have them on welfare sitting home getting fat watching television 14 hours a day than living on the street or in tent cities or committing crimes.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,115,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'd say that a 10% reduction in pay through furloughs is a good start on the cuts you'd like to see state workers had to endure.
Furloughs are temp, they need to reduce the pay and benefits. The benefits in California are way too rich, in some cases its just ridiculous.

The pension problems seem to not even be on the radar yet, but CalPers and Calstrs both are underfunded by a good 10%. They did such stupid things investment wise its hard to see how individuals would do worse with 401(k)'s.

Anyhow, they will just cut whatever is easiest to cut politically regardless of what is best for the state.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,784,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
If the people do not get their welfare they will be forced into the street and will start committing crimes. At least the welfare keeps them out of trouble for the most part. I would rather have them on welfare sitting home getting fat watching television 14 hours a day than living on the street or in tent cities or committing crimes.
Or, you know, they could go get a job.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:46 PM

341 posts, read 690,155 times
Quote:
They could do some of the work that millions of illegals are doing.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,532,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Furloughs are temp, they need to reduce the pay and benefits. The benefits in California are way too rich, in some cases its just ridiculous.

The pension problems seem to not even be on the radar yet, but CalPers and Calstrs both are underfunded by a good 10%. They did such stupid things investment wise its hard to see how individuals would do worse with 401(k)'s.

Anyhow, they will just cut whatever is easiest to cut politically regardless of what is best for the state.
Define "too rich."

My wife and I both receive adequate retirements from the state but they're not munifect. Each of them, along with Social Security and medical/dental/prescription benefits insures that neither of us will ever be dependent upon any state or the country's social services programs.

It took us a congregate 45 years of service to achieve this. We have no reason to apologize, especially as we paid into those programs for years to lock-in our benefits.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,080,086 times
Quote:
Or maybe they might move to other states.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:23 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,051,314 times
The state is out of control & its being talked about all over the world. Many say california is no longer the golden state. I have to agree with them. When you have a incompetent govenor & a legislature with a approval rating of 11%, you know we have a major problem. Gov benny did ask the state workers to take a pay cut of. I doubt it if they will cause the state union owns the legislature. The illegal alians cost the tax payers 13 billion dollars per yr. What a damn disgrace.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 AM

943 posts, read 3,163,955 times
Default Cut welfare and you will have a huge homeless and crime crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Or, you know, they could go get a job.
They are unemployable or someone would have hired them by now. Most are unwed Mothers and people with physical or mental disabilities.

I predict that Obama will bail them out and then of course that will encourage other states to ask for a bail out and overspend because they will get a bail out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California