Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:39 PM

19 posts, read 41,355 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. Why is there very little race diversity and overwhelmingly Latinos/Mexicans? The downtown, etc, and almost anywhere there, you see almost just Mexican people driving around it seems. I know there are a lot of Latino gangs there and I wonder would any other races like Black or White be treated badly there? I saw on some of the threads that a lot of people say there's a lot of racial tension there. What's the main reason why there are SO many Mexican Americans in Stockton?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney12 View Post
,,,,, What's the main reason why there are SO many Mexican Americans in Stockton?
Harvest and picking.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney12 View Post
I'm just curious. Why is there very little race diversity and overwhelmingly Latinos/Mexicans? The downtown, etc, and almost anywhere there, you see almost just Mexican people driving around it seems. I know there are a lot of Latino gangs there and I wonder would any other races like Black or White be treated badly there? I saw on some of the threads that a lot of people say there's a lot of racial tension there. What's the main reason why there are SO many Mexican Americans in Stockton?
You're kidding right?

Stockton is one of the most diverse cities in the entire country. All you need to do is check its C-D page:

Races in Stockton:

* Hispanic (32.5%)
* White Non-Hispanic (32.2%)
* Other race (17.3%)
* Black (11.2%)
* Other Asian (7.9%)
* Two or more races (6.8%)
* Filipino (6.2%)
* American Indian (2.3%)
* Vietnamese (2.2%)
* Chinese (1.8%)
* Asian Indian (0.9%)
* Japanese (0.6%)

There are Mexican/Mexican-Americans in Stockton because it is in the middle of an agricultural area. Long before you were born, there used to be these things called farms in/around Stockton. These areas are now covered by relatively new housing tracts. Well, people from Mexico would come up and work in the farms, picking crops and such. They would settle down and start families near the farms they would work in, like in Stockton. Mexicans still come to CA to work in the farms, or just to work in general.

Fast fact: At one time (before 1846), California used to be part of Mexico. Bet you didn't know that.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:47 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
A couple of things about those numbers. By the way those are a few years old but the newer estimates I've seen don't show much change in ethnic groups in Stockton.

First, it shows Stockton at 11.2% Black. California is only about 7% Black. So Stockton has a higher proportion of that demographic than the state as a whole.

Second, I've found that some people see a Filipino and assume they are Latin American (Mexican or other). Stockton has a very high percentage of Filipino residents which might skew some perceptions of the Mexican/Mexican-American population in the area.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
I think a better question would be along existentialist lines.... Why is Stockton?
Why does it exist? Does it exist solely to make other places "look good"? Is Stockton's role to serve as a reminder that one inhabits a better place than somewhere else?
Next time you're unhappy about where you live, remember the line, "Hey, it's a $#!^hole to be sure, but it ain't STOCKTON, for God's sake!"
There! Happy if I made someone's day better.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:06 AM

188 posts, read 520,794 times
Why are people living in my country?

Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Next time you're unhappy about where you live, remember the line, "Hey, it's a $#!^hole to be sure, but it ain't STOCKTON, for God's sake!"
There! Happy if I made someone's day better.
I think that line is already taken by people out of state.
"Hey, it's a $#!^hole to be sure, but it ain't CALIFORNIA, for God's sake!"

Old 06-22-2009, 02:43 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I think that line is already taken by people out of state.
"Hey, it's a $#!^hole to be sure, but it ain't CALIFORNIA, for God's sake!"
HA! I have heard people from Michigan call California a hell hole. Quite funny.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:12 AM

19 posts, read 56,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You're kidding right?

Stockton is one of the most diverse cities in the entire country. All you need to do is check its C-D page:

Races in Stockton:

* Hispanic (32.5%)
* Other race (17.3%)
* Black (11.2%)
* Other Asian (7.9%)
* Filipino (6.2%)
* American Indian (2.3%)
* Vietnamese (2.2%)
* Chinese (1.8%)
* Asian Indian (0.9%)
* Japanese (0.6%)

There are Mexican/Mexican-Americans in Stockton because it is in the middle of an agricultural area. Long before you were born, there used to be these things called farms in/around Stockton. These areas are now covered by relatively new housing tracts. Well, people from Mexico would come up and work in the farms, picking crops and such. They would settle down and start families near the farms they would work in, like in Stockton. Mexicans still come to CA to work in the farms, or just to work in general.

Fast fact: At one time (before 1846), California used to be part of Mexico. Bet you didn't know that.
I thought it was Indian. Didn't Mexico surrendered the "territory" to America?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:31 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You're kidding right?

Races in Stockton:

* Hispanic (32.5%)
* Other race (17.3%)
* Black (11.2%)
* Other Asian (7.9%)
* Filipino (6.2%)
* American Indian (2.3%)
* Vietnamese (2.2%)
* Chinese (1.8%)
* Asian Indian (0.9%)
* Japanese (0.6%)

And diversity is a wonderful thing because everyone tells me so.

"Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word."
— Thomas Sowell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California