Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
South of Hoover Dam in Arizona, there are 2 "ghost" towns:

Chloride Arizona, Living Ghost Town and Oatman, Arizona

Not a ghost town, but nearby is Laughlin NV on the Colorado River Official Website of the Laughlin Visitor Bureau. And it will be hot as hell in July .
Hey thanks!
About the heat... I am a heat-dog, love the heat, hate the cold so no heat is too much for me. i just got out of a 7 1/2 month deep freeze so heat is very welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 01:00 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Here's a link to ghost towns in Death Valley:

Death Valley Ghost Towns | US Park Lodging

Just a suggestion. When I was on my way into DV to go camping for a week the belt went in my 5 month old Honda Accord. Took 2 days to get the replacement part. Not a problem since I was staying for a while. On all future trips to remote areas I carried a full set of belts and never needed them.

Sometimes you have to turn off the A/C there to keep the cooling system from overheating when heading up to the top of a mountain pass.

Have a great time.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:42 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
About the heat... I am a heat-dog, love the heat, hate the cold so no heat is too much for me.
I don't think you're taking this desert heat thing seriously. It will be about 110 degrees or even higher when you visit Vegas and the Mojave desert in July. As Zugor said, you might have to turn off the A/C to keep your car from overheating. You should carry plenty of water - about a gallon per person per day if you're going to be outdoors much of the day. You might want to drive at night when it gets down to say 95 degrees. And don't drive off the main roads out into the desert on gravelled roads.

When you get back, post your experiences on this thread. I get the feeling that after a couple of days in the desert, your Indiana winters won't look all that bad to you. Have fun.

Go to www.ghosttowns.com and click onto the states you are visiting, then click onto the counties.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
And if you leave the car put a towel over the steering wheel so you can bear to touch it when you start up again.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Here's a link to ghost towns in Death Valley:

Death Valley Ghost Towns | US Park Lodging

Just a suggestion. When I was on my way into DV to go camping for a week the belt went in my 5 month old Honda Accord. Took 2 days to get the replacement part. Not a problem since I was staying for a while. On all future trips to remote areas I carried a full set of belts and never needed them.

Sometimes you have to turn off the A/C there to keep the cooling system from overheating when heading up to the top of a mountain pass.

Have a great time.
Thank You Now that you mention it I could see that happening. I may buy an extra belt and tuck it away in the trunk with some tools just in case. Thank you for the heads up!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I don't think you're taking this desert heat thing seriously. It will be about 110 degrees or even higher when you visit Vegas and the Mojave desert in July. As Zugor said, you might have to turn off the A/C to keep your car from overheating. You should carry plenty of water - about a gallon per person per day if you're going to be outdoors much of the day. You might want to drive at night when it gets down to say 95 degrees. And don't drive off the main roads out into the desert on gravelled roads.

When you get back, post your experiences on this thread. I get the feeling that after a couple of days in the desert, your Indiana winters won't look all that bad to you. Have fun.

Go to www.ghosttowns.com and click onto the states you are visiting, then click onto the counties.
I've driven the desert in June before in a PT Cruiser, not the greatest car, and we did fine. It was hot but 100 in the desert was not as bad as our 90 with 95% humidity. I've been in all kinds of weather and hot is much preferred over cold so bad your fingers go numb.
Enough on that, I could rant forever...booooring. I won't.
And yes I do plan on posting my adventure here!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
While I was "stuck" at the Furnace Creek Campground for a couple of days I had nothing to do except hang out at the pool which is fed by a warm (85 degree) spring and they run the water in one end and out the other so they don't put any chemicals in it.

Poor me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California