Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times

Advertisements

One thing I like about California, or at least the areas where I've lived, is that it's perfectly acceptable to rent, not own. That's different than my home state of MN, where there's a high expectation that people are going to eventually buy a place. My brother bought a house just a year out of college. That's certainly not typical in cities like LA or SF. We used to rent a house in a modified bungalow court, and the other neighbors had been there for years. We would have, too, if it weren't for a job transfer - it was rental, but the price was far better than a mortgage on a similar property would have been. The issue for us is that the rent is also very high, and while that's doable to a point, it gets tougher when you have a family, especially when you add in other costs like daycare, etc. So for us it's not isn't renting versus buying, but rather overall cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
I don't think it's always the house itself that many people long for, but rather that ideal of working hard and having something decent to show for it... especially for those struggling to raise a family. Renting is great if you are young and plan on moving around a lot, but many of us prefer to put our money into a mortgage which will eventually reach zero about the same time that our rent would triple (or 4x, or...??) if we stayed in the same place for 30 years.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post

My current plan is to evaluate the housing situation in 2012, and if a house is not easily within reach where I currently live (Silicon Valley), then plan B would be to move back to SoCal and buy there, if affordable.
is SoCal really more affordable than the bay area or Northern Cal?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
is SoCal really more affordable than the bay area or Northern Cal?
Yes, but there is a reason.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Yes, but there is a reason.
lets hear it, is it the mexican border? crime?
i feel the same way about where i grew up in north jersey. anywhere that is desirable homes are way overpriced, and property taxes are through the roof. i figure whether i live in NJ or CA, im paying alot to own a home. might as well do it in CA where it is just plain better QOL.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:23 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
lets hear it, is it the mexican border? crime?
Generally speaking, NorCal has traditionally been higher-income, better jobs, lower crime, better education levels, better schools, less of a socioeconomic divide than Southern California. That is relative, of course, as NorCal has it's problems too.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
I am moving out of California. I will be buying a house in another state. I haven't found anything in California to be so special that I want to pay double for housing, 50 cents more a gallon for gas, 4 to 5 times the fees to register my vehicle, double most of the utility prices I have had in other states, my city bill here for water and sewer alone is 85 dollars this month. Oh boy and I won't get started on the condition of the roads here.

Im sorry I don't mean to turn my post into a complain fest, I just see too many people here struggling or so far in debt that they work so many hours and aren't really enjoying the "lifestyle" they think is so great.

The lifestyle I'd like is one of affordability so hubby and I can enjoy our lives more, owning a home I love, green grass and plenty of trees, and fresh air.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
misplaced1, tell us how you really feel! LOL

Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Ultimately, we're all renters. Is there anyone here planning on living forever?
Truer words never spoken!

I will probably own a home at some point, if only because I'm going to inherit one. Beyond that, whether I buy will be entirely due to circumstance. I could follow in the footsteps of 18Montclair and buy a modest home in East Oakland right this minute, but I'd rather enjoy a short intra-San Jose commute and the proximity of my family.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,844,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I am moving out of California. I will be buying a house in another state. I haven't found anything in California to be so special that I want to pay double for housing, 50 cents more a gallon for gas, 4 to 5 times the fees to register my vehicle, double most of the utility prices I have had in other states, my city bill here for water and sewer alone is 85 dollars this month. Oh boy and I won't get started on the condition of the roads here.

Im sorry I don't mean to turn my post into a complain fest, I just see too many people here struggling or so far in debt that they work so many hours and aren't really enjoying the "lifestyle" they think is so great.

The lifestyle I'd like is one of affordability so hubby and I can enjoy our lives more, owning a home I love, green grass and plenty of trees, and fresh air.
Any particular reason why you bolded your entire post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California