Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 11,020 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a 23 yr old, single, on again-off again college student (15 year plan sounds about right ) looking to move out of Richmond. I've grown up here for the past 8-ish years, with a Canadian citizenship. I have fallen in love with the east coast's historic beauty and great location between the beach and mountains... BUT... My northern upbringing has really opened my eyes to the cultural differences. I do like many things about Richmond, but I find the racial tensions, downtown scenes, and snobby socialite-wanna be's much too immature and draining for my taste. I'm an open-minded, easy going, liberal, growing girl who enjoys frat parties and coffee shops alike! I have never fallen into a ''clique'' or crowd in order to find myself - which is exactly how I see Richmond - a mold you must fit. Where can I go that agrees with me a little better??? A place where I can wear too much mascara, drink green tea, watch some good hockey, dance at the club AND read Carl Sagon... Could Cali be it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Yes - you would probably fit in here, it's a mixing bowl of sorts, BUT .... you must remember ... we NEVER, EVER call it "Cali". If you say that, everyone will know you are from somewhere else. It's California. We abbreviate it CA.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
The great thing about California is that there is no one California "type" - there's everyone here. That said, plenty of people do move to parts of CA and then complain about the same things you are. Part of that is who you hang out with, and with California's big cities, at least, there are so many people that the annoying people are just small percentage of the whole. I don't know about hockey, though. I think I know one person in CA who watches hockey. The other real problem with CA right now is the economy. There aren't many jobs available; combine that with high cost of living and it could be difficult to make a move to the state right now.

How about Minneapolis? That's cheaper, and sounds like it has what you want, including the hockey.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
What is a Cali type and if that is a place where is it?

If you want to move to California then be your self. We seem to accept most of everything here.

California type people are the following;

Students
surfers,
skaters
actors
want to be an actor
writers
producers
hard working people
lazy people
those that farm
ranchers
Imigrants both legal and not legal
loners
outgoing people
beautifull people
not so beautifull people
liberals
conservatives
environmentalist
conservationist
developers
people who are educated
those that are not educated
those that drive clunklers
those that drive exotic cars

if you can think of it, then it probably is a California type

Old 08-07-2009, 01:34 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Not sure, but if you say CALI, then you probably don't.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Not sure, but if you say CALI, then you probably don't.
And...if you were really a person who read Carl Sagan you would know how to spell his name.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:25 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Maybe the poster was thinking of Cali, Columbia?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeEdSomEchAnGEs View Post
Where can I go that agrees with me a little better???

Could Cali be it?
If you moved to California, how would you support yourself? What kind of job? What would be your wild guess for housing budget?

Most people in California spend their time working, sleeping, talking to a customer service representative, eating meals, driving in traffic, paying bills, running errands, cleaning the house, gossiping about their neighbors, watching TV, talking on the phone, posting on City-Data Forum, waiting in a line somewhere, or looking for the remote.

What do people in Richmond do?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:55 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Sounds to me like you are describing CA, I honestly thought you were talking about Richmond, CA.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeEdSomEchAnGEs View Post
Where can I go that agrees with me a little better??? A place where I can wear too much mascara, drink...
Fontana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California