Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:06 PM

5 posts, read 15,190 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband has been transferred to california for his job. For the most part he works from home. So we can pick where we want to live. We love California but the housing costs are crazy to us! So what we need to do is first narrow down our search area. We would like something from around LA area down to San Deigo. We would love to be with in 30 mins to the beach but don't think our budget would allow it. But don't really want to be more than an hour away.
We are looking to spend from $400000 to $450000 for a 4 bedroom in a family friendly neighborhood with good schools. We have 2 kids.. 4 & 5. We really like the size and layouts of newer homes but don't mind an updated older home either. Just seems there are more young families in the newer communities. Our other requirement is a one hour or less commute to an airport.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 05:15 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
There are a number of places to choose from. I don't know what the current real estate prices are, but I had heard that the prices in Lake Elsinore had dropped considerably. Have a look at Fallbrook in San Diego County. I'd choose that over most places in that area.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1yn2 View Post
We are looking to spend from $400000 to $450000 for a 4 bedroom in a family friendly neighborhood with good schools. We have 2 kids.. 4 & 5. We really like the size and layouts of newer homes

I started this thread:

Useful Househunting tools

If I were you (and I am), I'd look at

look at School Performance Maps

and redfin for homes

and Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map for the traffic considerations.

Two candidates that will pop up for you will be south Orange County and north San Diego County.

Within these I like Mission Viejo, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Niguel, San Clemente, and Rancho Santa Margarita in south OC, maybe zips 92694, 92679. In north SD look at communities around the Ted Williams Freeway, like zips 92127, 92131, 92129, 92064 (Poway). Check out 4S Ranch in that northern San Diego area.

Most of these places will have HOA and Mello Roos. However, with those comes squeaky clean communities with tons of kids' amenities, good schools, open space, eye pleasing common landscaping, and master planned community infrastructure.

If you can work it, consider renting for a year before you make a quick decision. You will also have time to work City Data. Some people think housing prices are going to fall even lower.

Last edited by Charles; 08-09-2009 at 05:51 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 05:55 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
You could easily live in Temecula very comfortably at that amount, and the drive to Oceanside is about 35min.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:27 PM

5 posts, read 15,190 times
Thanks for the help and opinions everyone! We do plan on renting for a few months or so but we just moved from NJ to FL 2 weeks ago for my husbands job. On our way down the job in cali opened and they offered it to him since we didn't own a home yet. How can you say no to Cali?? BUt my kids are young and confused by the move from family and friends already. I really want to try and rent in the area we hope to buy in so they don't have to move schools for the 2nd time in a year.
So I'm just turning into a info hound for the next few weeks.
My husband was asking about... san clemente and laguna niguel?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:35 PM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I suggest Mission Viejo. It is a good place to raise a family. It has a nice lake for recreation. It is very close to Santa Ana/John Wayne airport (which is in Irvine).

Old 08-09-2009, 06:37 PM

5 posts, read 21,258 times
Meniffee

Old 08-09-2009, 06:58 PM

17 posts, read 46,452 times
You should check out Lakewood. I'm not sure that you can get an updated 4 bedroom in your price range though, but it is worth a look and housing has really dropped around here. I am raising my family in this area and I am pretty happy. It is very family oriented and has good schools. There are a lot of fun community events here like concerts in the park, 4th of July block party (held near city hall and the mall with a mini carnival and an awesome fireworks show!), free youth sports, great parks and rec. programs and a lot of other fun community events. Lakewood was designated as "Sportstown USA" and "Tree City USA". We have tons of nice parks here and two public pools with inexpensive swim lessons and open swim sessions. Many of our parks have free wading pools for younger kids. Near the mall we have many dining options, people call it restaurant row. We have a huge mall and a large Target store and a Costco. I avoid the mall on Friday nights and weekends though because it attracts some riff raff. You definitley can't judge this city by the people who are attracted to this mall!
Lakewood has a small town vibe. The street I live on has tons of kids and everyone is friendly, a place where neighbors wave to each other. People always out walking their dog, jogging, and riding their bikes with their kids. Also Lakewood has a GREAT location and is very close to the beach, Disneyland, Knott's, etc. Sooo much to do. We have Disneyland annual passes and it only takes about 15 minutes or so to get there. The mountains (Wrightwood) are only around 75 minute drive, we camp up there and play in the snow in winter.
The weather here is really quite good. We are close enough to the coast and don't typically get real hot like inland. Mid to upper 80's in the summer is average.
For elementary schools go to Greatschools.net and check out Stephen Foster, Intensive Learning Center (magnet school), Lindstrom, and Madison. Avoid east Lakewood on the east side of the 605 freeway, most of it isn't as nice, it is like a totally different city!
East Long Beach is really nice, too. You may want to check that area out.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EelRiver View Post
You should check out Lakewood. I am raising my family in this area and I am pretty happy.
If you haven't done so already, I strongly urge you to read this book on the early days in Lakewood. I read it. It was fascinating. Lakewood was one of the orginal planned subdivisions in Southern California. Backdrop is 1950s Southern California.

Written by D.J. Waldie,

D.J. Waldie

"An exquisitely realized and wholly original memoir of growing up in blue-collar 1950s Lakewood, California, the quintessential post-world war II American suburb and the prototype for the countless tract developments that would follow. Lyrical, compassionate statement of the hard-won values of American suburban places."

from

Holy Land: A Suburban Memoir, D. J. Waldie, Book - Barnes & Noble

Old 08-09-2009, 07:12 PM

17 posts, read 46,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you haven't done so already, I strongly urge you to read this book on the early days in Lakewood. I read it. It was fascinating. Lakewood was one of the orginal planned subdivisions in Southern California. Backdrop is 1950s Southern California.

Written by D.J. Waldie,

D.J. Waldie

"An exquisitely realized and wholly original memoir of growing up in blue-collar 1950s Lakewood, California, the quintessential post-world war II American suburb and the prototype for the countless tract developments that would follow. Lyrical, compassionate statement of the hard-won values of American suburban places."

from

Holy Land: A Suburban Memoir, D. J. Waldie, Book - Barnes & Noble
Thanks for sharing, I would like to read that book someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California