Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 09:20 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

This thread shows how utterly smug some Californians can be. Who cares if people call it California or Cali or San Francisco or Frisco, NoCal or NorCal?

I was born here and I am going to start calling it Cali just to tick you "proper" weenies off.

Last edited by Mach50; 08-21-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 AM

301 posts, read 1,511,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
He's from Yorkshire?
Yorkies. That's what hip Californians refer to people from New York as.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:01 AM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misscassandra View Post
jeez louise people....next time i'll be sure to sing Dr Dre's 'California Love' to myself as we fly back into Cali. Better?

That song was by 2Pac featuring Dr. Dre, keep up.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:22 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
Referring to California as 'Cali' is like calling someone 'Tommy' when their actual name is Thomas. Or saying 'Jeffy' when their name is Jeff. Or 'Dickie' instead of Richard. Have you ever known someone like that? They try to make themselves seem cooler than what they really are, like they are one of your friends. People who do that are very obnoxious.

It's California. Don't call it Cali and I won't refer to your state as 'Yorkie' or 'Minny' or ' Washy' or 'Texy'.
My name is Jacob, but I have gone by Jake since I was a baby. Jacob sounds too biblical and formal. I don't even answer to Jacob and have even thought of legally changing it to Jake. Nothing wrong with shortening your formal name, names are different than states imo.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times
Quote:
Yorkies. That's what hip Californians refer to people from New York as.

LOL.. yet they complain about when people say Cali vs California?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 AM

301 posts, read 1,511,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
My name is Jacob, but I have gone by Jake since I was a baby. Jacob sounds too biblical and formal. I don't even answer to Jacob and have even thought of legally changing it to Jake. Nothing wrong with shortening your formal name, names are different than states imo.
That's because Jake is a badass name. How would you react if strangers started coming up to you and calling you 'Jakey'? I think that would be the equivalent of 'Cali'.

'Cali' is a term coined by an east coast rapper to disrespect and infantilize. Why *some* Californians are so enamored by the term is beyond me. I can understand why rubes and hillbillies think it will make them cool, but people who grew up here should know better. It's 'California'. It's six extra characters to type out. Not a big deal.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
That's because Jake is a badass name. How would you react if strangers started coming up to you and calling you 'Jakey'? I think that would be the equivalent of 'Cali'.

'Cali' is a term coined by an east coast rapper to disrespect and infantilize. Why *some* Californians are so enamored by the term is beyond me. I can understand why rubes and hillbillies think it will make them cool, but people who grew up here should know better. It's 'California'. It's six extra characters to type out. Not a big deal.
I am seeing a trend here, this is also the same reason people don't like "Frisco" because it is affiliated with rap music.
Is Cali too low class for you?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 AM

246 posts, read 422,059 times
Quote:

Bar none, one of the best responses and descriptions on this topic! It is a term of disrespect and meant to demean, it isn't cool.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This thread shows how utterly smug some Californians can be. Who cares if people call it California or Cali or San Francisco or Frisco, NoCal or NorCal?

I was born here and I am going to start calling it Cali just to tick you "proper" weenies off.
Well, I could say the same in reverse: So what if some of us Californians object to the term "Cali"! Don't get your panties in a bunch just because some of us don't like the term. Who cares?

As for me, the term "Cali" grates on my nerves in the same way as "frisco", "d'ego", "Lampac" (Lompoc is pronounced "Lompoke") and "democrat party" do! I don't actually care too much if people use the terms, but it does grate on my nerves. I figure that those who say those things either don't know the proper noun, are trying too hard to be cool, or are making some statement (as in "democrat party").

In speech, the name of the state is "California". In written correspondence it's "CA" -- without a period (except at the end of a sentence). Persons significantly older than me might use "Calif." in writing, which I'll forgive since that was the standard at one time.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:16 AM

Snobs, I'll leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California