Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 04:58 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
If you could have, you would have refuted me. Instead you attack ad hominem.

Funny thing, what ever happened to California? I look outside, I see blue sky, I walk out side, the air is warm and pleasant, the ground is fertile, the hills have cows. People swim and boat in the lake. They lie on the Beach, they sit in the Beach side cafes and eat fish tacos.

They golf 200 feet below sea level, they hike in the mountains, they climb 3,000 foot granite faces, they target shoot, they go Jeeping, or sailing, or wake boarding, or parasailing, they go skiing, they grow twenty five percent of the nations food, and

Guess what! They can do that all year round in California.
For how long? Don't forget you guys are on earthquake time. It won't be long until the big one hits and what was once a rich and prosperous state, will be nothing. So I would think twice about that if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 05:00 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
For how long? Don't forget you guys are on earthquake time. It won't be long until the big one hits and what was once a rich and prosperous state, will be nothing. So I would think twice about that if I were you.
Oh, yes. Just like the San Francisco Earthquake reduced California to "nothing" in 1906...

Old 08-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Oh, yes. Just like the San Francisco Earthquake reduced California to "nothing" in 1906...
When I was a little dramatic with that. I mean it's not going to be as great as it once was. I thought the big one was going to be the thing that wipes CA out?

Old 08-07-2010, 05:04 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Yep.
Just too many people.
It's one of the roots of almost every problem on this planet imo.
What a bunch of baloney! It's poor management of resources that is the root of most of the problems on this planet, including California.

And by the way, I don't have any kids.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:09 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
When I was a little dramatic with that. I mean it's not going to be as great as it once was. I thought the big one was going to be the thing that wipes CA out?
Why don't you just double-down and say it's going to fall into the ocean?

Someday the Big One is going to whack Southern California, particularly the Coachella Valley and the IE, pretty good. It is unlikely to kill 3000 people, or leave the majority of a metropolis homeless after most of it burns down - this is what happened in 1906.

While the Big One is a more imminent threat, far larger earthquake threats face ultimately Alaska, the Pacific Northwest, and SE Missouri. But I imagine those places, like California, will pick up and move on with life when that time eventually comes. And, in all cases, it will.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Why don't you just double-down and say it's going to fall into the ocean?

Someday the Big One is going to whack Southern California, particularly the Coachella Valley and the IE, pretty good. It is unlikely to kill 3000 people, or leave the majority of a metropolis homeless after most of it burns down - this is what happened in 1906.

While the Big One is a more imminent threat, far larger earthquake threats face ultimately Alaska, the Pacific Northwest, and SE Missouri. But I imagine those places, like California, will pick up and move on with life when that time eventually comes. And, in all cases, it will.
Oh ok! I see.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Why do non-residents always make a bigger thing out of this than we do?

Old 08-07-2010, 05:30 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
To the answer the OP's question:

1. Massive, unchecked illegal immigration.
2. Needless draconian governmental regulation.
3. One party rule pushing high taxation.
4. Rule by special interest groups (see number 3).
5. Cultural rot combined with racial balkanization (see all of the above).

Old 08-07-2010, 07:37 PM

514 posts, read 686,964 times
OK you asked for it, so the liberals did all these things all by themselves right?

Pretty much, the Conservatives have been on wrong side of history as long as there has been history.

Well for one thing the president who is given credit for doing the most to preserve National Forests and Parks is Teddy Roosevelt ( republican)

Ended slavery? Lincoln was a republican, the confederacy were democrats.

You are confusing Republican with Conservative, and Democrat with liberal. The Republicans were the far left party of their day, They elected Lincoln who expanded the powers of the Federal Government to such a degree that he has been called America's first Bolshevik.

The Democrats were the conservative party of their day, it was they who fought the Federal government, their progeny remained Democrat until 1964 when they all moved to the Republican party, who promised they would fight to prevent integration.

Roosevelt was a liberal progressive, constantly attacked by members of his own party, the conservatives led by Mark Hanna.

Child labor laws? The Child Labor Laws were sponsored and passed by overwhelming majority by both parties. House Joint Resolution ( A joint resolution is one sponsored by both parties) No. 184 was adopted by the United States House of Representatives on April 26, 1924, with a vote of 297 yeas, 69 nays, 2 present and 64 not voting.[1] It was then adopted by the Senate on June 2, 1924, with a vote of 61 yeas, 23 nays and 12 not voting.

You cherrypicked, again see Mark Hanna and the Republican industrialists

As far as your assertions that it was the liberals who fought and won the Revolution and WWII, that claim is so ridiculous it does not even deserve a response.

The conservatives of the 1770's were loyal to Britain and the King, known as Tories they left America enmasse for Britain and Canada. The concept of the rights of man were so leftist liberal they terrified the crowned heads of Europe. America's entry into World War 2 was bitterly opposed by the conservative Republicans, so opposed that Roosevelt had to invent a subterfuge to get weapons to the Brits, called lend lease, please research the "Isolationists"

I am not sure where you learned your history, perhaps from liberal teachers.

I find it curious that you resort to attacks. Check out the facts I have given you, they are facts, not opinions. That you react violently to them is no surprise, for Ideologues beliefs will trump facts, every time. Now, I am not going to insult you, as you insult me, but, I think it is time you educated yourself, you seem to have no understanding of American history, but, I would imagine you have parsed information that fits your pre existing beliefs.

Again, let me reiterate, Conservatives have by and large only damaged America. It is Liberals that created it, and continue to improve it.

A further piece of information, the tea partiers et al who talk about defending the Constitution. The Conservatives of 1789 opposed the new Constitution, I find that irony humorous.

Back to the topic at hand. The cities of California are pretty darned repulsive, aside from San Francisco, but then again, I find most cities repulsive. It is true that most people in California are urban dwellers, but there are a heck of a lot of rural and small town people with rural and small town values, old California values.

Are there serious problems with state government? Yes

Do those problems affect you or me in any meaningful way? Not me, and probably not you.

Last edited by Highnlite; 08-07-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 02:25 AM
R66

145 posts, read 419,856 times
Just tonight I arrived in LA from Florida for a friend's wedding. I drove from Orlando.... From Indio to Calabasas was one big traffic jam almost and right before El Monte on I-10 the traffic came to a dead stop. I had lived in LA back in the late 1980s when I was a student at LA College in Van Nuys. I came back again in 1996, I flew in for another wedding. This is my first time back to California since 1996. Once I arrived at my Hotel, I almost had to vomit to decompress from the stress of driving 80 MPH from Indio with cars all around me within inches. The drive from West Texas thru New Mexico and Arizona was awesome and calm. Driving thru Phoenix and Tucson I found both cities very clean and organized and not one graffiti tagged wall.

Tomorrow begins my journey back in LA .... Wish me luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California