Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times

Advertisements

I have been doing some price comparisons between Trader Joe's and Albertsons and Vons, Trader Joes's is less money for staples such as milk and eggs and beer and bread, and especially cheap wine, two buck chuck. On most items they are cheaper.

One would think that the big chain supermarkets with their buying volume would be cheaper, but they aren't.

Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
The chain markets also have to pay union wages, retirement, and a medical plan that didn't even have an employee contribution or co-pays. I was making $15/hr as a grocery clerk in the mid 90's while non-union stores were probably paying half that with no benefits.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:00 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
for the most part trader joe's only sells one brand for each item they carry (usually their own), maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Trader Joes sells one brand of nearly everything: Trader Joes.

TJ is not in direct competition with supermarkets, it is in competition with gourmet food stores like Whole Foods. The profit margins on TJ's items are much higher than comparable supermarket goods.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
I have been doing some price comparisons between Trader Joe's and Albertsons and Vons, Trader Joes's is less money for staples such as milk and eggs and beer and bread, and especially cheap wine, two buck chuck. On most items they are cheaper.

One would think that the big chain supermarkets with their buying volume would be cheaper, but they aren't.

Why is this?
That's interesting and I wouldn't have thought TJs would be cheaper either.

I'll bet (from reading other states' City Data threads) Trader Joes is the most missed thing by ex Trader Joes states' residents (like ex-Californians) when they move to their new "Trader Joe"less state. Even more than In n Out.

Isn't it three buck chuck yet?

I never goes to TJs with a supermarket grocery list mindset. It's usually a special trip for the unique TJ stuff.

They used to have these things called "Great Cakes". They were these muffins made of dates, plumbs, and other stuff. They were a little smaller than a hockey puck. Twenty two grams of fiber.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
The chain markets also have to pay union wages, retirement, and a medical plan that didn't even have an employee contribution or co-pays. I was making $15/hr as a grocery clerk in the mid 90's while non-union stores were probably paying half that with no benefits.
Seems a decent place to work, hard to beat $50,000 a year as a store clerk.

Quote:
LA Downtown News has a story about a recent talk Trader Joe's founder, Joe Coulumbe, delivered at a SCORE function ("Trader Joe Comes Downtown (http://www.ladowntownnews.com/articles/2006/05/29/news/news01.txt - broken link)").
Interesting tidbits from the story:
  • Trader Joe's will do about $5 billion in business this year.
  • The average full-time Trader Joe's employee earns $50,000.
  • The first Trader Joe's store carried 100 brands of scotch and 50 types of rum.
In case you're wondering what he looks like, the story includes a recent photo of 75 year-old Joe Coulumbe.

Quote:
Seth Godin, marketing guru extraordinaire, writes about lessons learned from Trader Joe's:
"Most of what they sell is private label. Now that they have scale, they are able to negotiate great prices from their suppliers, and more important, encourage/force their suppliers to make unique items, or organic foods, or foods of higher quality for the money. All of this is a virtuous cycle. The key mantra is that Trader’s finds foods for its customers, NOT customers for its foods."
Quote:
Trader Joe's offers a variety of benefits to its Crew - both full time and part time - to assure their health and well-being and that of their families. These benefits are intended to provide assistance for many aspects of life, from health care to employee discounts. Our benefits include:
  • Medical, dental & vision insurance
  • Company-paid retirement plan
  • 10% employee discount
  • Paid time off
  • Employee Assistance Program
  • Free Trader Joe's shirts
  • Disability Insurance
  • Great Pay
  • Flexible Hours

Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 PM

I can't believe people at TJ's bringing in $25/hr. I wouldn't be surprised if there were only a very very full-timers at a store (like the managers) with the rest being part time (up to 39 hrs/wk) making much, much less.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Love the benefits package, and that fact that they do their business so well, but the owners are Germans that run grocery stores in Germany as well, so that clearly that explains why.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM

So, you are stating this is not a true statement? Note the word Average, average means no no really makes $50,000, some make more some make less. Still, anything within 20,000 either way seems pretty good for a non college required job.
Quote:
The average full-time Trader Joe's employee earns $50,000.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
So, you are stating this is not a true statement? Note the word Average, average means no no really makes $50,000, some make more some make less. Still, anything within 20,000 either way seems pretty good for a non college required job.
I know what an average is.

I'm saying that their claim is average "full time" employee, not average employee. If you have three full-timers in a store, making $40k, $50k, and $60k, respectively, the claim can be true even if there's 20 part time employees making $12/hr.

They also don't state where these full-time employees work. They could be in regional management, purchasing, IT, marketing, etc or anywhere else but the sales floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California