Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 PM

14 posts, read 64,934 times

Advertisements

We are trying to make the move to Redding, Ca. We were recently told by former Ca. residents that Redding has a high meth and drug problem. We couldnt believe this, because it looks and seems like a nice place. Please help us and let us know about your town..Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgerigal View Post
We are trying to make the move to Redding, Ca. We were recently told by former Ca. residents that Redding has a high meth and drug problem. We couldnt believe this, because it looks and seems like a nice place. Please help us and let us know about your town..Thank you
this is true about most areas like Redding, not just in CA for most places in the country..

Nita

Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times
In general, meth is a drug of poverty. Wherever unemployment is particularly high, meth will be more prevalent. The whole State of Jefferson -- southern Oregon, extreme northern California -- is in the meth belt due to the amount of poverty there. This doesn't mean, though, that you yourself are likely to be much affected by incidence of meth use. It is a subculture that mostly operates underground. I've lived in the State of Jefferson for 8 years now and have never had contact with someone whom I knew to he a tweaker, despite what media reports say about rates of use.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this is true about most areas like Redding, not just in CA for most places in the country..

Nita
I really believe it is everywhere. It may be more noticeable in smaller communities because there is a different ratio but the sellers and buyers are everywhere.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:09 AM

3 posts, read 17,744 times
The Magnolia - Parkview - Reservoir neighborhoods are probably the worst in Redding because of the crack houses and gangs that control most of the area and other crimes plus they are rundown dirty parts of town anyway. I've lived in south Redding for 13 years and its not as bad but there is still that gang influence out here. your chances of getting shot/stabed or robed out here are less and are about 1 out of 10, if you are a night person that is. Pretty much anyone in Redding knows where the weed at because Redding is a main hub for drug trade and marijuana plantations that go throughout the whole state, trust me I saw this abandoned car that was just stacked with this stuff right of the freeway and cops pulling out bags filled to the top and then laying them down on the ground.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 14,997 times
Default Doesn't even compare

I've lived in Sacramento, San Diego, and parts of Oregon and am a native Redding/Weaverville-ian.

Redding does not even compare to what you see and hear about in the larger cities. You can't even compare them. I still leave my truck unlocked at night sometimes, we leave our door unlocked sometimes, I had some tools and things in my truck and parked it for 6 months unlocked and NOTHING was ever taken and we live in a rental neighborhood, not a really nice neighborhood.

Drugs fuel crime. I think, unless you move into an absolute ghetto (all cities have them) then you will feel MUCH safer than any other city.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
I have family who live in Butte County (Chico/Oroville areas). I visit them quite a lot and while there is some drug and gang activity its nothing even remotely close to Sacramento, the Bay Area and the San Joaquin valley cities. And Redding is more "clean cut" and conservative than Chico or Oroville. I really don't think you'll have any issues up there. Its sort of like the Bend OR of California (lots of people move there to get away from the ills of many other areas of the state).

Old 12-12-2010, 12:12 PM

200 posts, read 453,999 times
I have lived in Redding since 1972. There has increasingly become a problem here regarding Meth use, as well as a very high population of sex offenders in the area. Redding has become a dumping ground for just released criminals. Also we have a very high rate of unemployment and more and more panhandlers are hitting the streets.

The cheaper areas of town such as the Enterprise area, Lake Blvd by Market Street, Parkview, South Market Street, Railroad Ave., and South Street in the downtown area are all notorious for criminal activity. Shasta Lake City, which is just north of Redding is also an area to avoid as well as much of Anderson which is south of Redding. ( Check out Megan's list for Redding and you will get the gist of the bad areas of town. )

Keeping to the west off Placer and much of the Northeast areas are pretty safe. The Quail Ridge area is also a pretty nice suburb, north of Churn Creek close by the mall and shopping. Housing there is well priced ( You can buy a nice 3 bed 2 bath for around $185,000 ) and the Boulder Creek school is well regarded. I have lived in Quail Ridge since 1992 and have never had any problems here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California