Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
The true pop density for the open spaces is tougher to figure, 49% of California's land area is uninhabited, so the density is skewed, from near zero for half the state, to much more for the other half.

3/4 of Nevada's population is in Clark and Washoe County, the actual pop density for most of Nevada is under 5 per square mile, a very nice number.
That's because a higher proportion of California's land area is "habitable".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,523,378 times
Sort of, it all works to the benefit of Nevada. Aridity is a fine thing.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Sort of, it all works to the benefit of Nevada. Aridity is a fine thing.
See you at Burning Man.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM

249 posts, read 392,768 times
Quote:

Here is some light research for you. Henry Miller, no, not that one, the other one, Miller and Lux

Coyoteskye,
Miller and Lux had some of the largest cattle ranch holdings in the state, from the San Joaquin Valley over the Diablo Range into South Santa Clara and San Benito counties. Miller had a summer home in the Santa Cruz Mountains in what is now Mount Madonna County Park. That is practically in your back yard. If you haven't been there yet I would highly recommend a visit.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
Coyoteskye,
Miller and Lux had some of the largest cattle ranch holdings in the state, from the San Joaquin Valley over the Diablo Range into South Santa Clara and San Benito counties. Miller had a summer home in the Santa Cruz Mountains in what is now Mount Madonna County Park. That is practically in your back yard. If you haven't been there yet I would highly recommend a visit.
I so prefer Henry Miller.
And i'm not saying that CA is not part of the history of the wild west! Duh.
I've tried to make that clear in about 5 posts at this point.
If the gist of what i've been saying ... that the states of the intermountain west are very different in terms of still living that western history ... still culturally expressing (albeit in a strange and watered down 21st century way) what folks think of when they think of the "west" ... is so difficult to grok ... i give up.
I get that there are pockets of that culture that still exist in CA ... but just drive through Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, etc. (on the freeway or off) and you know that you're in the "west" ... drive through most of CA (on the freeway or off) and it's a different cultural paradigm ... despite the history.
Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frederic_Remington00.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	56040

Click image for larger version

Name:	FrederickRemingtonFriendsOr.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	56041

Last edited by coyoteskye; 01-08-2010 at 02:27 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,241,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Have you ever thought, just for a moment, about California's history?

The Gold Rush, railroads, oil, ranching, etc. At one time Sacramento was known as one of the roughest cities in the country.
Not to mention SF, which during the gold Rush days is estimated to have had as many as 1,000 murders per year...at a time when the SF area probably had no more than 100,000 people. We didn't even have a real police force for years and it was mostly up to vigilantes to keep the peace (or what about the fact that in 1850, only 300 of SF's 25,000 residents were women...and most of them were prostitutes)...not to mention things like the city getting destroyed by fire multiple times (yes, before 1906), as well as stuff like black plague outbreaks in Chinatown that were covered up by the creation of secret tunnels that were used cart the bodies away to the bay under cover of dark. Or how about dueling senators, newspapermen shooting each other, and dudes getting "Shanghaid" (kidnapped and forced into work as a sailor. Ships that practiced this needed extra man power for cross-pacific trips, and often ended up in Shanghai, hence the term) etc...the list goes on, and that's just SF specifically.

It was definitely pretty wild here back in the day, and i would say we're in the west. wild + west = wild west.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
We didn't even have a real police force for years and it was mostly up to vigilantes to keep the peace
Ah yes, "The Committees for Public Safety". Sounded so much more civilized than "vigilantes".

Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,523,378 times
Quote:
See you at Burning Man.
Not me, I hate that boil on the face of the desert. The publicity of Burning Man has served to draw so many people into the Black Rock country that true isolation has become hard to find.

Coyoteskye, I have tried to make clear that the old west is alive and well, I even gave you a website to pursue that information. Consider highway 101, East of it, stretching to Highway 33 are huge ranches, some are nearly complete Spanish Rancho's, There are still a few wild horse herds out there, the west lives there. On the far side of the San Joaquin north of Fresno and stretching to Red Bluff are more great ranches, interspersed with 150 year old towns. Let's cross the Sierra, from Ridgecrest to the Oregon border are more great ranches, and more wild horse herds.

There are many ghost towns in CA. I ran across a book of them yesterday in a box in the garage, all with their tales of murders and prostitutes and drinking and mining.

Here is a little bit of historical trivia for you. If you are out in Nevada, Eastern Oregon, Idaho, Montana and north Wyoming, and you run into "cowboys" or cowmen with the brims of their hats tilted up, they are not authentic.

The Authentic hat for that country is the California vaquero flat hat. In one of the videos I pointed you to, a couple of young buckaroos up in Montana made fun of cowboys with tilted brim hats.

Also, look to the gear, the Nevada and Montana ranchers use California style tack, including the two rein system, the Santa Barbara bit, and the split fork saddle.

A comment on Henry Miller; it was said that he could ride from Mexico to Canada and sleep on his own ground every night.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:51 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
See you at Burning Man.
I doubt you'll see him there.
However, i think majin should be kidnapped and taken to Burning Man so that he can see (by way of comparison) that he is very likely one of the sheeple / victims of the dominant culture, which, btw, most hip hop and rap "artists" have both bought into and propagated and they are neither radical (despite what they may think of themselves) nor are they riding any kind of future wave ... artistically and/or otherwise ... just feeding and supporting said dominant culture.
That said, i've actually heard some brilliant rap / hip hop (whadayacallit?) but never on the air waves.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Ah yes, "The Committees for Public Safety". Sounded so much more civilized than "vigilantes".
its still wild, it just the only people allowed to use guns are thugs.
police dont even answer lots of calls. they are all a "personal incident"
the vigilantes i see are gangbangers enforcing their own rules.
the rich can move the rich can buy justice but not the poor.
real vigilantes protected sheep from the wolves.
gang bangers dont protect anybody. the just eat sheep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California