Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Your going to San Antonio?
Oh yes, one of my fav's. Not camping this time, but spending time looking to buy a campground, MH Park, or more likely a rural spot with nice shop and space for ~3-4 RVs. I intend to have one of my 3-4 USA destinations* within and hr of SAT or AUS. (cheap flights, Lots of medical + VA for potential RV renters)

* my idea destinations will be nice rural acreage with one full time renter (To keep the place up) and 3-4 rv storage / camping sites for frequent, but long term, RV'rs. Each destination will have: a shop + shelter, a public area (crafts / sewing / games / potlucks), bath / shower / laundry. and of course be equipped with one or more of my 50 mpg cars for those who prefer to 'fly/drive' rather than drag the 5-10 mpg RV everywhere. I hope to get $300/ month per RV when occupied and $100 during storage. That will be over and above annual rents from the 'caretaker' tenant, which will cover 100% of my cash flow / investment return needs for each joint.

TX seems to have quite lax rural zoning that would allow this type setup. + TX unusually high property tax burden would be minimized (few Real Property Improvements to tax).

I have previously focused around Kerrville, Ingram, Comfort, Bourne, Canyon Lakes. This trip I will add Wimberley, Stonewall, Blanco ... Any suggestions are welcome and encouraged. I want to remain as close to SAT / Ft Sam Houston as reasonable, and still have a pretty, location and a 'friendly' rural authority that will allow such a crazy idea as mine.

Other 'RV Friendly' USA locations I plan to reside; (all INCOME TAX FREE, very pretty, fairly moderate weather / close to recreation / colleges / shopping / National Parks / airports / medical ...(I have lived near all EXCEPT TN, and have relatives there)

SE WA (I have that one already, 20 min to PDX (sales tax free Portland), but in Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area ... very nice and rural. TONS of hiking, Photo, fishing ops (and windsurfing / skiing (snow and water). 1.5 hrs to beach, Mt St Helens, Willamette Valley. https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...w=1260&bih=739

NE TN (Tri Cities)
Sturgis (VA)/ Spearfish, SD, (40 min to RC) Income tax free SD = ONLY one day / yr domicile requirement

& Sheridan (VA) or Powell, WY (1.5 hrs from Billings).

Any thoughts / advice welcome. I will probably be doing similar in Mex, SA, Malaysia or Thailand, and Italy. Countries difficult to own property, I will 'partner' with a local farm family and build a spot for me (Guest house) that they can use / rent while I'm away.

I hope to NEVER have another 'primary' residence, when I'm aged...75+, I will sell these props to acquaintances I have made, and carry the paper to pay my way in a CHEAP Oklahoma care center (Or preferably a senior housing coop, If I am still perky.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 12:46 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times
You sound like a man with a plan
Where is your RV property in SE WA? Is it be open to overniters?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Where is your RV property in SE WA? Is it be open to overniters?
Not to 'random' overnighters, (Tho we are listed in a few Guesthome travel directories as 'RV friendly', which we accept, for free...)

Here are local spots within 15 minutes (Beacon Rock and North Bonneville)
Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission - Park Information

~ 30 minute range
https://www.google.com/search?q=beac...w=1260&bih=739

For meeting friendly locals who like to camp, I have joined up with a few church / groups (photography, hiking) who do occasional camping weekends to nearby spots. Also rodeo and horse / dog shows.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
Not for Silverstream but yes for Airstream. It's called the Vintage Airstream Club. I think I can remember seeing some Silverstreams in the Airstream convoys. RVers are not stuck up. They welcome anyone.
My folks were in that, I think it was caled the Wally Bahum Club or something like that.......They were at an Airstream rally, I think it was in South Dakota when it started hailing golfball sized hail. Totaled all the airstreams there, thousands of them.....

Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,082 times
Default Meet people to go camping in Richmond, VA

I AM LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO GO CAMPING, FISHING, AND/OR KAYAKING. I am planning on starting a group that meets at least once a month to go on outdoor adventures. I live in Richmond, VA and would like to do activities in Virginia, but would be down to travel out of VA a couple times a year too. Let me know if you might be interested.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
I may have posted this before but we finally joined a Good Sams Club and have not regretted it at all.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 AM

Hey, Camper 1. I was just pondering that idea myself, a couple days ago. Camping is more fun when you meet up with some other folks.
How does that work?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Hey, Camper 1. I was just pondering that idea myself, a couple days ago. Camping is more fun when you meet up with some other folks.
How does that work?
We meet once a month for our rally's. It's usually the same weekend every month so it's easy to plan. . We have a range of ages, some retired, some working , some... well of and some regular folks like us. Different clubs do it different ways but I like ours. You take your turn, One turn for every couple in the group. Example we have 22 rigs so once every 22 months it's our turn. The " wagon master" picks the place and you provide the meat for one meal. Everyone else brings a side or dessert . You can set up activity's like going out one night or shopping at the local stores or markets. We have a group that goes on hunts for thrift stores! You should see some of our finds! There is usually a club house to hold our meetings and to play game for those that want. When the weather is right, you will always find me outside, either playing in the river or sitting by a camp fire.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
We meet once a month for our rally's. It's usually the same weekend every month so it's easy to plan. . ...
similar w/ Escapees.

One of my 'fulltimer' friends teaches the 'dutch-oven' classes. I think Peach cobbler is his favorite, He's a pretty BIG guy! Just returned from annual 'Camporee'.

FWIW to KD... Escapees often has a spring 'RV school' in Moscow, ID

Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
We meet once a month for our rally's. It's usually the same weekend every month so it's easy to plan. . We have a range of ages, some retired, some working , some... well of and some regular folks like us. Different clubs do it different ways but I like ours. You take your turn, One turn for every couple in the group. Example we have 22 rigs so once every 22 months it's our turn. The " wagon master" picks the place and you provide the meat for one meal. Everyone else brings a side or dessert . You can set up activity's like going out one night or shopping at the local stores or markets. We have a group that goes on hunts for thrift stores! You should see some of our finds! There is usually a club house to hold our meetings and to play game for those that want. When the weather is right, you will always find me outside, either playing in the river or sitting by a camp fire.
We have two chapters somewhat nearby. I'll check them out.
I'm normally not much of a "joiner", but it might be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing