Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:29 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Its conversations like this that made me move out of Toronto, typical ignorant Torontonian BS. Why would your friend feel the need to start a discussion about the US vs Canada just because you asked if it was safe to walk around at 2am? Wow people there are beyond insecure.

Yes murder rates are typically higher in major US cities while many Canadian cities have higher sexual assault rates than US cities of similar size. Why is this? There are many socioeconomic reasons.

KKGG7: Yes I feel perfectly safe walking around at night in all of those cities. I dont gang bang, sell drugs or participate in any illegal activities, so the chance of anything happening to someone like me is minuscule. Also last I checked the poor in the US had access to good healthcare (Its called Medicaid), education (School Choice), Public Housing, Food Stamps and Welfare. Are any of these programs any more generous in Canada than the US? Compare the reimbursement rate for Welfare and Food Stamps in Boston and Toronto and yes you will see a difference (Its more generous in the American city)

This misinformed drivel is par for the course though.
This is too long. Why don't you just say that the US is safer than Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Whatever you say, I feel much safer in Canada than in the US. This is all that counts for me.

By the way, can you define a "sexual assault"? You know what I mean?
My point is that I feel more than safe in both countries, people who are afraid to walk around in either American or Canadian cities are beyond paranoid. I guess its because I am originally from a violent country/city that I have a different perspective on things (Kingston, JA)

I will say it again, if you are not involved in any criminal activity or lifestyle the chances of you getting murdered, stabbed or shot are so low its not even funny.

Sexual Assault? Any form of sexual contact without consent.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:22 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
This is too long. Why don't you just say that the US is safer than Canada?
Im honestly reading what I wrote again and I dont see the part where I said the US was safer. Could you point it out for me in big bold letter please

Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I frequent several big American cities and usually they turn into ghost towns after the business day is done, so yes i would feel vulnerable walking around them late at night however i cant think of why i'd be walking around them late at night as there is nothing there,cities like NYC and Boston dont bother me as much as Tampa,St Pete,Miami,Savannah, and Charleston size cities.
Montreal and Toronto give me no pause for concern at any time of the night.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM

613 posts, read 815,300 times
I think the difference in violence evolves from two different points of view.

American:
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness

Canadian:
Peace, order and good government

Canadians are far more willing to forgo certain individual liberties for the sake of civil order.

The two countries also had different beginnings:
US - Revolution
Canada - Evolution

Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Led

145 posts, read 423,354 times
A majority of the poor people in Canada are struggling recent immigrants trying to make ends meet. They pride every second they have in the country because Canada was kind enough to open their arms to them. They're given immense opportunity to succeed through world class education, health care, and human rights practices. In the US however it's different. Not only are recent immigrants placed in the low income struggling class, oppressed blacks, illegal immigrants and other demographics are too.

What makes this different from Canada is all these lower class individuals have a different mind set. Some are planning to make money illegally, some plan to live off the system through welfare and paystamps, and some plan on getting a decent education and eventually a job. With all these clashes between the lower class citizens, obviously tensions will increase; with the easy access to firearms and ammunition, the rest is history.

Also the middle class in America is shortening day by day, the gap between the upper and lower class is immense. 90% of the wealth in the US is held by less than 10% of the population, there's a statistic for you.

The crack epidemic, various race riots, illegal immigration problems, extreme segregation, unemployment, failing economies, homes in foreclosure, shrinking of the middle class, and unpaid mortgages all have/are contributing to the hostile and negative lifestyle which exists in the United States today. It's a completely different world when you hop over the border my friends.

Last edited by Led; 08-05-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 02:09 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times
latest data from "Economist"

Inmates per 100,000 population
US: 750
Russia: 600
Brazil: 240
Britain: 150
China: 120
Canada: 115
France: 90
Germany: 80
Japan: 70

Deny all you want. The United States is (one of) the most dangerous country. To say American cities are as safe as Canadian ones is like saying winters In Ontario are as mild as California's.

You may have walked in Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadephia or even Detriot at 2am with nothing happened to you, but that does not mean it is as safe as Toronto and Montreal.

Let me ask another question, which is pretty simple, would you feel OK to let your 20 year old daughter (suppose you have one) walk at 2 am in one of those American cities? In downtown Toronto, it happens all the time.

Last edited by kkgg7; 08-05-2010 at 02:21 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 PM

228 posts, read 696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
latest data from "Economist"

Inmates per 100,000 population
US: 750
Russia: 600
Brazil: 240
Britain: 150
China: 120
Canada: 115
France: 90
Germany: 80
Japan: 70

Deny all you want. The United States is (one of) the most dangerous country. To say American cities are as safe as Canadian ones is like saying winters In Ontario are as mild as California's.

You may have walked in Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadephia or even Detriot at 2am with nothing happened to you, but that does not mean it is as safe as Toronto and Montreal.

Let me ask another question, which is pretty simple, would you feel OK to let your 20 year old daughter (suppose you have one) walk at 2 am in one of those American cities? In downtown Toronto, it happens all the time.
To be fair that list take into account total incarnation, many inmates in the U.S are in jail for non-violent offenses ( mainly drug procession).

But yes, Canada in general is safety than the US. I lived in Nashville and I would not even go out take out the garbage at night. Crime there was way more frequent and more random compare to Toronto.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:33 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times
IT's apples and oranges...

Some places in the US are safer than others, same as in Canada.

There are greater pockets though in the US and comparisons can't really be the same in many factors. How many cities in Canada can generally be compared to the major US cities on crime? Not many cause the cities are bigger...

Felt same walking out late in Toronto or Montreal, sure no problem I did too even back when I asked someone 15 years ago. Would I go strolling around Jane and Finch? don't think so..

I live in DC, love it here, been out late, many places, are there areas I shouldn't be at late at night... absolutely.. so it's all relative.

The other thing is certain types of crimes are more common in certain places. Winnipeg (where I grew up) has a HUGE auto theft problem...

It's all relative...

Old 08-05-2010, 03:40 PM

613 posts, read 815,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
IT's apples and oranges...

Some places in the US are safer than others, same as in Canada............................................ .................................................. .........................
The other thing is certain types of crimes are more common in certain places. Winnipeg (where I grew up) has a HUGE auto theft problem...

It's all relative...

That is true. I would feel much safer walking at night in downtown Fargo than downtown Winnipeg.

BTW the latest statistics show we are finally getting control of the auto theft issue. I believe we have dropped to #3 from #1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada