Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman0 View Post
Well I wasn't saying Canadian Immigration is like that with who they let into the country. I said what I said in response to someone else who said everyone is treated fairly and equally in Canada. I was just saying that isn't always true. Not with immigration, but in general society.

No.

The initial post was referring to immigration standards.......and was made by the same member you're currently arguing with. I suspect she knows what she was referring to.

And as this thread is about immigration, references to racial issues in general society would be off topic.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
And I can express myself however I want. What I said does make sense. People should have an alternative to living in america, because it sucks. However most americans actually like living here, so most would stay. And there's lots of Canadians here. There's a hell of a lot more Canadians here, than there are yanks in Canada. You sarcastically joked about "open door regulations", but that's exactly what exists between OZ and NZ, and for the EU. But there is no easy alternative for yanks, although some claim this is the "freest" country in the world.
You can express yourself within limits.

While certain countries may have immigration agreements between them, it is both unrealistic and unreasonable for you to suggest that Canada provide an open door policy for disgruntled US citizens, especially at a time when the US government is actually toughening requirements for Canadians to even visit the US.

You may feel "immigration is BS", but the Canadian people, through their government, feel otherwise and have policies in place (just like the US government) which are designed to benefit Canada rather than provide an escape for their neighbours to the south.

It's really quite simple: show the Canadian government your presence in the country would be beneficial to the country as a whole and you'll be welcomed. If you aren't going to be an asset, then we'd prefer you stay where you are.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:32 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Does anyone else find it funny that one of the needed skills is "Electrician (Not Industrial or Utility)" and the next skill is "Industrial Electrician?"

Old 03-19-2011, 02:07 AM

95 posts, read 258,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
You can express yourself within limits.

While certain countries may have immigration agreements between them, it is both unrealistic and unreasonable for you to suggest that Canada provide an open door policy for disgruntled US citizens, especially at a time when the US government is actually toughening requirements for Canadians to even visit the US.

You may feel "immigration is BS", but the Canadian people, through their government, feel otherwise and have policies in place (just like the US government) which are designed to benefit Canada rather than provide an escape for their neighbours to the south.

It's really quite simple: show the Canadian government your presence in the country would be beneficial to the country as a whole and you'll be welcomed. If you aren't going to be an asset, then we'd prefer you stay where you are.
No, I can express myself how I want like I said the first time. And I never said Canada should have an open door policy for yanks. I said there should be an easy alternative for people living in america because it sucks. Don't put words in my mouth to help you prove a false point. And as I said before, u.s. immigration might be tough, but there are plenty of Canadians here. Immigration is BS. And I'm well aware that the Canadian govt just want's ppl who benefit society, but that's every country. Canada is not unique in that aspect. You said "we'd prefer you stay where you are". Even though you agree with the way it is, no one asked what you would prefer.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
If any American who wanted to move to Canada could do so at the drop of a hat, Canada would pretty soon lose its unique qualities. If anyone from Los Angeles, or New York, or Florida, or Oklahoma could pack a U-Haul and move to Toronto or Calgary or Halifax, we would have a lot of people moving there for free health care, cheaper universities, taking available job openings, then turning around and voting the same way they did back in the U.S. (for ignorant right-wing politicians) thus turning Canada into nothing more than a colder version of the U.S. with more hockey fans. Back in the day when travel was costly and difficult, there were open borders and plenty of Americans moved to Canada, many of whom were not skilled university-educated people. But now unfortunately travel is so cheap and easy that there realistically needs to be some level of immigration control. If a U.S. citizen really wants to move to Canada, I am sure he or she can find a way unless they are inadmissible under the serious criminality grounds. Canada is extremely generous with extending student visas to work visas upon graduation, and then providing a route to permanent residency. The U.S. doesn't allow that... if you go to school in the U.S. you have to get the hell out after you graduate unless you come in under a costly and difficult H1B or other employment visa.
I understand your point about the uniqueness of Canada needing to be maintained, but what are yanks supposed to do. Settle for inferior living conditions? Yeah we can find a way to move to Canada, but as I said in my previous post, it'll probably take my about 7 years until I can apply. The student visas for Canada are easy to get, but require alot of money to pay for your own school as a foreign student which is about $5500+ per semester, plus you have to show proof of funds to immigration.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I totally agree with you, but it will never happen. The right-wingers in the U.S. and the Canadians who want Canada to remain distinct will vote against it. It used to be a lot easier to go to Canada, but now it's difficult with new restrictions and passports.

However, I can see where the Canucks are coming from. A Canada with a lot of Americans is just Minnesota. It would lose it's difference as "the better America." And because Canada is already virtually culturally identical to the U.S., it wouldn't take much for it to lose what tiny difference it has.

If you're looking for an easy alternative to America, look at Svalbard. It's an island north of Norway. There are virtually no immigration restrictions -- all you need is a job offer and you can move there. Plenty of Americans live and work there. Also, I think you can go to college free there, too. The downside? It's freezing cold. It's at the same latitude as northern Greenland, so it gets frigid weather.
Yeah I know it's not gonna happen. I'm just expressing how I think it should be because of my desire to leave america and live somewhere better. When was it easier to move to Canada (what years or decades)? I'm starting to wish I was born sooner. I understand some ppl on the board are concerned about keeping yanks out to maintain Canada's uniqueness, but I'm just looking for a better life for myself. I don't wish to settle for inferior america for the rest of my life. I looked at a website on Svalbard, and it looks like it's part of Norway, so the same immigration rules would probably apply. Plus it looks like it's just arctic, no citylife, nightlife, fun, few jobs. If so, I wouldn't want to move there.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:20 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
No, I can express myself how I want like I said the first time. And I never said Canada should have an open door policy for yanks. I said there should be an easy alternative for people living in america because it sucks. Don't put words in my mouth to help you prove a false point. And as I said before, u.s. immigration might be tough, but there are plenty of Canadians here. Immigration is BS. And I'm well aware that the Canadian govt just want's ppl who benefit society, but that's every country. Canada is not unique in that aspect. You said "we'd prefer you stay where you are". Even though you agree with the way it is, no one asked what you would prefer.
There are a lot of Canadians living in the US, but most never seek citizenship. Canadians are the least likely foreign residents of the US to seek citizenship regardless of how long they live in the US.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:51 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
There are a lot of Canadians living in the US, but most never seek citizenship. Canadians are the least likely foreign residents of the US to seek citizenship regardless of how long they live in the US.

You know, I've found a lot of Canadians who live in the US do so for the warmer weather. It's not so much that they want to live in "the US," they just want to live in warm places like Florida, California or Arizona, which happen to be American. I can totally understand why they wouldn't want US citizenship -- if you're Canadian, why would you want to become American?

Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
Most americans who would consider moving to Canada are probably already very progressive(we do exist). I don't think you would need to worry about the tea party right wingers trying to get a foothold there.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Yeah I know it's not gonna happen. I'm just expressing how I think it should be because of my desire to leave america and live somewhere better. When was it easier to move to Canada (what years or decades)? I'm starting to wish I was born sooner. I understand some ppl on the board are concerned about keeping yanks out to maintain Canada's uniqueness, but I'm just looking for a better life for myself. I don't wish to settle for inferior america for the rest of my life. I looked at a website on Svalbard, and it looks like it's part of Norway, so the same immigration rules would probably apply. Plus it looks like it's just arctic, no citylife, nightlife, fun, few jobs. If so, I wouldn't want to move there.
I see where you're coming from. Prior to World War II, Americans could just move to Canada without immigration policies. Before 9/11, all you needed to visit Canada was a driver's license and a "proof of citizenship" like a birth certificate -- now you need a passport.

Svalbard is governed by Norway but allows nationals of some countries -- including the US -- to move there without immigration checks. But you're right, it's cold and isolated.

Personally, I don't think the US is "that bad," but there are some things I would change about it. I still consider myself blessed to live here -- I'd much rather live in the US than Iran or Africa, for example. If you want a Canadian-like experience but can't leave the US, why not consider living in Minnesota? It's just like Canada -- laid back, hockey-crazed, cold climate, progressive. People even have the same accents and enjoy the same activities -- like ice fishing. Plus, you'll be close enough for a quick trip to Winnipeg or Thunder Bay (if you can legally cross the border).

If you prefer the Pacific Coast, try Blaine, Washington. It's a suburb of Vancouver, except its on the US side. It's right across from Surrey and about 30 miles from downtown Vancouver. If you have a passport, you could hang out in Vancouver on a regular basis. Plus, I think it's possible to get a work permit to work in Vancouver, but you'd have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada