Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree with that. Why try to fix something that isn't broken?

In Britain's case, I agree that it isn't broken. Our politics are party politics rather than more of a focus on the individual, as is the case of the US. The monarchy is independent of that, kind of a ceremonial rubber stamp. I'm not sure that I'd want a Bush or an Obama to come along and whip up a frenzy with a bunch of hot air and false promises. I prefer party politics and the parliamentary system anyway. It makes the government more accountable, rather than one man or one woman (e.g. blaming Bush or Obama for all the ills of the country).

I'm still somewhat torn though on the issue. I would certainly like to see the royal family in its present form reduced in size and a fully elected chamber to replace the House Of Lords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
.... I would certainly like to see the royal family in its present form reduced in size ....
Can you explain why you'd like to see it reduced in size? The Royal family is self-supporting so I can't think of why the size of the family would matter.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:51 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Can you explain why you'd like to see it reduced in size? The Royal family is self-supporting so I can't think of why the size of the family would matter.

*Self-supporting*? Really?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Most of the polling over the last 3-4 years has indicated that most Australians no longer support becoming a republic. Prince William's visit in particular was a big blow to the republican movement.

Queen's visit leaves Australian republic a distant dream | Reuters
Quote:
Time, politics and apathy have all conspired against Australia's republicans. And republicans know there is no appetite to put the issue back on the national agenda.

An opinion poll this week revealed support for the monarchy had risen to 55 percent of the population, while support for a republic was at its lowest level in 23 years at 34 percent.

"Politicians on both sides say they believe in a republic but none of them is confident of its electoral appeal to bring it forward," said Mike Keating, chairman of the Australian Republic Movement.
Leading Australian republicans have publicly stated that their is no chance of a republic for at least another 20-30 years.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226178723360
^ very good article by former Australian Labor Party politician andrepublican activist Graham Richardson
Quote:
I have spent most of my life believing that I would live to see Australia become a republic. I no longer cherish that dream too much. The republic which looked such a sure thing only a decade ago is now at long odds and blowing out in the betting.

Nobody talks about it anymore. Nobody seems to care. Where have its champions gone? Where are they hiding?

Maybe they are daunted at the overwhelmingly preferred direct election method. Maybe, like me, they have seen the crowds and spotted that look in the eyes of their own children. All I know is that talk of the republic has for all intents and purposes ceased entirely.

Last edited by WIHS2006; 01-13-2012 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:

They're not self-supporting. I would like to see it reduced to just the queen or king and her or his immediate family. If that were to happen, I might even abandon my republican tendencies completely.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM

WIHS, Prince William has done no end of good for the image and popularity of the royal family. He has picked up where his mother left off. He will make an excellent king and frankly, they should bypass Charles and make Wills king.

The man is a great role model and a great figurehead to have + a genuinely nice bloke.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:08 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
WIHS, Prince William has done no end of good for the image and popularity of the royal family. He has picked up where his mother left off. He will make an excellent king and frankly, they should bypass Charles and make Wills king.

The man is a great role model and a great figurehead to have + a genuinely nice bloke.
William is preferable to Charles but frankly I don't want any monarch ruling over us.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
William is preferable to Charles but frankly I don't want any monarch ruling over us.
They don't "rule" though. It's all for show.

Frankly, I don't want to be ruled by anyone!

Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:

I have a feeling that the Queen's desire is to outlive Charles or to ensure that his reign is brief. I mean let's face it. Assuming she lives to be 100+ like her mother by then Charles will be 80something ... does anyone expect 80something Prince Charles to become king? That would be silly.

Passing over Charles would be in the best interests of the monarchy. Im surprised they dident make this official at the recent Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
*Self-supporting*? Really?
In a roundabout way, yes, because the annual profits surrendered from the Crown Estate into the Treasury have always exceeded the annual Civil List and Grants-in-Aid. Civil funds that are granted by Parliament out of the Treasury for support of Royal duties, living expenses and residences have been paid back in triplicate (or more) into the Treasury out of the Crown Estate. Therefore the Royal family has always been self-supporting through the hereditary Crown Estate which is one of the very largest property holders in the United Kingdom. All members of the Royal family (except for Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip) pay regular taxes just like every other citizen of the U.K.

Starting in 2013, the Civil List and Grants-in-Aid will be replaced by a single Sovereign Grant, which will be 15% of the surplus generated by the Crown Estate. The changes were introduced by the Sovereign Grant Act 2011. The annual amount will be calculated on the revenue from two years previously, and the arrangements will be reviewed by 2020.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-13-2012 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada