Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 PM

20 posts, read 85,075 times

Advertisements

I have had enough.

Today's supreme court decision to strike down Montana's 1912 law that banned corporate contributions to elections was the last straw for me. The legal precedent that was established today is more harmful to the democracy of the United States than most Americans can ever imagine. The United States has now lost its democracy in my eyes. I no longer feel that I can be proud to be an American nor would I want to raise my children in this kind of corrupt environment.

As of today I began the process of applying for my Canadian permanent residency card.

In light of this sudden change in our life plans we are now turning our attention towards finding a desirable living environment in Canada.

My family and I were originally planning to move to Montana next summer after having secured employment from a friend in the state. We have now decided that we will no longer be doing this but we are still seeking to get away from the big cities.

I am currently working on finishing my MBA at a local university in California and should be graduating next May. My wife is in the process of finishing her B.S in Microbiology and will also graduate next May. We are looking for a place to live that has a low population, low cost of living and low unemployment rate. We would prefer somewhere akin to a rural American state in terms of population density / employment.

I am not sure if many here have ever visited rural America. States like Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota or Idaho were the places that we were considering moving to from California. We would greatly appreciate any knowledge that you all may have on places in Canada that could be considered similar to some of these states.

Hopefully there are also employment opportunities in some of these places for individuals with our qualifications. In the event that we could not find employment I would consider moving to a small city as well.

I hope that the community here can help us find what we are looking for.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 PM

32 posts, read 49,105 times
Be prepared for a few differences.

First anything under the sun is going to at least be 50% more expensive here, And that is ignoring HST. If You don't mind a higher cost of living then it should be fine.

I cannot recommend BC(It's kind of like Cali). It will send You into poverty. Well, Vancouver will at least. Alberta has a much lower Tax rate and is much more like Texas.

Also, Canada has a much smaller Job market. Many College Students are moving to the United States. I had several friends in Ontario now across the US because they just could not find a job.

Quebec just passed an Emergency bill taking away people's rights to protest and some Freedom of speech rights. The Bill is set to expire in 2013. Quebec also has insane Taxes and is primarily a French speaking community so that's probably out of the question for You.

Ontario is probably Your best bet, But it's also pricey. Lowest taxes in the country are in Alberta.

Also, Sell all Your Guns and Pistols if You have any. Being a Firearm owner in Canada is extremely difficult and just not worth it. Several years ago they gave out the addresses of all Gun owners in Canada. Firearm Owners and Hunters are treated as Criminals here. Even owning Airsoft and BB guns is frowned upon here. Any Gun You own will be confiscatated at the Canadian side of the Border, License in Canada or not. None can cross. Even Airsoft guns. The Liberals think they're scary.

And even if You want to Defend your Family with Your Firearms say You do go through all the trouble. You'll be in more trouble then the guy who was going to kill Your family with a Knife. That's Canadian Law for You. You'll get charged for assault with a weapon for defending Your Family.

Prepare for Long Distance charges on almost all phone Companies in Canada. Canada lacks competition in it's market. And has government run Monopolies in Alcohol, Tv, Internet etc etc....

If Your Internet provider says You're going to pay more. You're going to have to pay more. Because there aren't many choices in Canada for services.

EDIT: Also, If You like Your Internet speed and usages. Prepare for LOW internet GB caps. You'll see how evil companies there are. You got it good down there. Most US companies who do have caps allow 450GBs a month. Canada regular is 25GB to 40GBs per month! It's Canadian provider fascism. They want You watching their programming and not the Internet. If You want to keep Your money in Your pocket. Stay in the United States.

I'm moving to Washington state from Ontario. I'm fed up with the Taxes and prices here.

Last edited by Heinrich7; 06-25-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
You need to have a degree in a specialty that Canada needs in order to qualify for the visa you want. Of course, it would be best to have the job lined up first. Microbiology on your wife's part sounds potentially promising, though. That might be your best angle.

Scan university job listings in Canada. I know a (former) American who got a great faculty job at the University of Calgary teaching medicine, plus he set up a private practice on the side. The family really lives high on the hog. They say Calgary/Alberta is kind of like Texas, but I liked it when I visited. Lake Louise is driving distance away, it's beautiful.

hmm... cost of living is higher. That explains a few things. I've known very few wealthy or upper-middle-class Canadians. Most had little, if any, disposable income.

MBA's are a dime a dozen in the US these days. I don't know about Canada. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

One more note: you said you'd like to live away from cities. Northern BC is nice. There's a university up there (U of Northern BC), small town. It might be best to look before you leap, and really check places out, so you don't land somewhere that you decide later you hate.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Well for starters I would pretty much ignore the post 2 above. The guy obviously does not like Canada for some reason.

You should take a look at Saskatchewan. The economy is booming and the living is wonderful. It looks the same as ND only much nicer. My daughter and family just moved to a small city in Sk 2 weeks ago. Moose Jaw has a population of around 40,000 and is close to the Provincial capital of Regina. The culture is something you might have a hard time understanding.The people tend to be conservative in nature but have elected the most progressive government in the entire western world for decades. The people seem to work and play hard. Winter sports are very big with a large % of the population particitating in some way or other. Contrary to the previous post hunting is very big in the province and many hunters have hunting camps in the north. Fishing is also world class. The economy should boom for the next 40 years at least as the oil business and mining just keep on getting bigger and bigger. Agriculture is also very big. Education is excellent and over all it's just a great place to raise a family.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
I agree that Saskatchewan is exactly the province for you. It's everything you want, all of your boxes ticked. I strongly suggest this as the province for you.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 06-25-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 PM

328 posts, read 997,153 times
I was thinking Saskatchewan as well. It seems to fit the bill. I have actually thought of moving there as well for the cost of living but then I would be to far away from my family in the midwest.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:11 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
hmm... cost of living is higher. That explains a few things. I've known very few wealthy or upper-middle-class Canadians. Most had little, if any, disposable income.
Really? I've known many. It could just be the types of people you were meeting in the places you were in. I know that there's plenty of upper middle class people in Canada.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:26 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Really? I've known many. It could just be the types of people you were meeting in the places you were in. I know that there's plenty of upper middle class people in Canada.
I, too, thought that was one of the stranger things I've ever heard. I thought perhaps the poster might have meant that there is not such a need to display one's wealth here in Canada and she therefore concluded that there are few Canadians with "disposable" income.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You need to have a degree in a specialty that Canada needs in order to qualify for the visa you want. Of course, it would be best to have the job lined up first. Microbiology on your wife's part sounds potentially promising, though. That might be your best angle.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz333 View Post
I am currently working on finishing my MBA at a local university in California and should be graduating next May. My wife is in the process of finishing her B.S in Microbiology and will also graduate next May. We are looking for a place to live that has a low population, low cost of living and low unemployment rate. We would prefer somewhere akin to a rural American state in terms of population density / employment.
Any possibility of you completing your postgrad edu in Canada?
I'm thinking along the line of Provincial Nominee Program's Iternational Graduate category.

Quote:
Candidate criteria As a Candidate, you must:
  • Clearly show in the application that you are able to and intend to live permanently in Alberta.
  • Have obtained a diploma, degree, or have completed a graduate level program from a publicly funded community college, trade/technical school or university in Alberta or Canada, or at a private institution in Alberta authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
    • AINP approved Alberta public and private post-secondary institutions.
  • Have graduated from a Canadian educational program that was a minimum of two years in length at the undergraduate level or a minimum of one year at the graduate level.
  • Have a current and valid post-graduation work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • Show that your job with your Alberta Employer is related to your field of study in Alberta or Canada.
  • Have six months of full-time work experience with the same Alberta Employer on a post-graduation work permit before you apply with the Alberta Employer to the AINP.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Certainly agree with your assessment of the American political milieu, when people can start donating millions of dollars to a candidate democracy gets left behind in favor of highest bidder buys the presidency, here in Canada you can personally donate up to $25, or if you are a company $1100.Elections are usually called and are over and done with in a matter of a couple of months unlike Americas penchant for being in election mode all the time.
Ignore the Canada naysayers who just want to move to the USA as the majority of 35 million Canadians if given the choice wouldnt move to the USA,
Yeah prices on most stuff is higher but its to be expected in the smaller market and also life isnt always about prices but quality of life which for most in Canada seems more than adequate.I agree with others on Saskatchewan and Alberta being high potential destinations but ultimately i'd move to any place in Canada that gives you a job..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada