Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 PM

654 posts, read 1,498,458 times

Advertisements

Reading posts made at the bottom of the CBC forums made by rabid American hating left wing nuts is not a good representation of how every one in Canada thinks.. You must realize that this country is full of left wing nuts who will use any story to bash the USA....it doesn't matter if the same thing/problems exists in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,536,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
One of the most annoying things as an American is the smug holier than thou attitude that we frequently receive from our supposed Canadian friends in regards to race, guns, gov, etc. The other day, Canada lost to the US in a hockey tournament, and now some Canadians are using racial slurs to blame the black goaltender for the loss. When similar situations occur in the US, we never hear the end of it.

This incident once again shows, racism isn't only an American issue, it's a Canadian and world issue. And I believe America is further along when it comes to improving racial issues because we've acknowledged that racism exists in our country, been having frequent discussions, and working towards improvement for sometime now.

More than anything, I think this is a teachable moment, that the US needs its friends and neighbors to work together to combat racism and other issues so we can all move towards a better America, Canada, and World.

World junior championship: Racial tinge to social media slams of Canada goalie Malcolm Subban | Buzzing The Net - Yahoo! Sports Canada

Rachel Décoste: 'A N*gger in Net': Racism at the World Juniors
Never hear much about Canadians getting after Americans about racial issues,

Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,398,441 times
I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find some manner of racism in just about every country in the world including Canada.Americas race problem is clearly a major issue and is evident in most cities any one enters as all the black people live on one side of the town and all the whites live on the other side of the town.Theres also an underlying disdain for blacks by white Americans that is very evident and i dont see it in Canada, its the reference to all blacks as being lazy welfare bums who dont want to work are just into drugs and are generally referred to as the entitlement class.
Yes there may be some small measure of racism in Canada if you want to look for it but in general its not the issue for Canadians that it is for Americans.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 AM

144 posts, read 186,977 times
The USA is the best place country in the world for black people. Some don't realize how lucky they are. Majority of American whites are not as racist as people make them out to be. They have done more than any other countries in opening the doors for blacks. Now you can find them in every areas of occupation if you take the time to get to know.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,398,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
The USA is the best place country in the world for black people. Some don't realize how lucky they are. Majority of American whites are not as racist as people make them out to be. They have done more than any other countries in opening the doors for blacks. Now you can find them in every areas of occupation if you take the time to get to know.
How generous and compassionate of all those white Americans in opening all those doors for the black American community, i guess without all that help they'd still be back in the fields picking cotton.

Maybe sports just brings out the worst in people..
http://www.freep.com/article/2012042...apitals-hockey

Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,749,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
I agree!

Where else in the entire world where just being black makes it easier to be admitted into college (affirmative act)

Where in the world there are so many black multi-millionaires?

Where in the non-black world where the president is black?

Many black people may feel discriminated in some way. But in the end, how many of them are willing to move outside the US and to Canada, or Europe, or Asia or Africa? The US is not the perfect, but definitely the best place to be black.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,749,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Reading posts made at the bottom of the CBC forums made by rabid American hating left wing nuts is not a good representation of how every one in Canada thinks.. You must realize that this country is full of left wing nuts who will use any story to bash the USA....it doesn't matter if the same thing/problems exists in Canada.
of course. A gun massacre case makes many Canadians extremely excited and secretly glad because there is one more thing to use to bash the US.

The truth is, without the US, Canada will have a hard time existing. Where will it export 75% of its products? Yet Canadians seem actively looking for each and every opportunity to feel superior. For example stereotypes people love to believe include:

American cities are dangerous. You can get shot any time anywhere.
Americans cities are unlivable and their downtowns are all ghost towns after 6pm.
Americans have miserable lives because they don't have universal health care.
Americans schools are horrible.
Americans are gun loving, car caressing rednecks who know nothing about the world
The American government and its political system completely fails
American cities are cultureless burbs with nothing but hollywood trash.
Americans are Jesus loving backward thinking yokels.

Conclusion: thank God we are not Americans. v

Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,602,757 times
I am not denying that there are some people in BOTH the US and Canada that are hung up about race but I don't believe overt racism is that rampant in either country today, at least in the major cities. If stuff like that makes the headlines, it more because it is the exception than the rule. Racism is something that exists everywhere but I feel social class is actually a bigger issue than race and the type of racism that exists is not as overt (i.e. I "hate" him because he is black for eg) but more stereotypical in nature (eg he is Asian therefore he must be good at numbers and be very quiet) or institutional racism (I won't interview this person because of their name). If you are non-white, well educated and work hard, you can build a good life in either country. And if you strike it rich, people will not care about your skin colour if you are deemed to be a part of the upper social class.

Based on what I've seen, however, I will give the edge to the US in terms of minorities doing better. I see a lot more top executives, entrepeneurs, and politicians of colour in the US. In fact I've read that 40% of Fortune 500 companies are founded by immigrants or their children in the US. This is why I don't like Canada's multicultural philosophy. I'd rather encourage everyone to integrate, build and prosper together. But like many things in Canada, this is not talked about.

So overall, althought I don't consider it to be a huge issue, at least in the big cities, it would not surprise me if the US does have a little more overt racism due to history, bigger rural pop'ns and personality differences; but Canada seems to have more instutional racism, especially against immigrant classes. Stereotypical-type racism will always exist everywhere.

Last edited by johnathanc; 01-05-2013 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 03:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,536,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
of course. A gun massacre case makes many Canadians extremely excited and secretly glad because there is one more thing to use to bash the US.

The truth is, without the US, Canada will have a hard time existing. Where will it export 75% of its products? Yet Canadians seem actively looking for each and every opportunity to feel superior. For example stereotypes people love to believe include:

American cities are dangerous. You can get shot any time anywhere.
Americans cities are unlivable and their downtowns are all ghost towns after 6pm.
Americans have miserable lives because they don't have universal health care.
Americans schools are horrible.
Americans are gun loving, car caressing rednecks who know nothing about the world
The American government and its political system completely fails
American cities are cultureless burbs with nothing but hollywood trash.
Americans are Jesus loving backward thinking yokels.

Conclusion: thank God we are not Americans. v
Lol, Canadians say that?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,455,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol, Canadians say that?
We even have bumper stickers that say it.

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada