Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 04:58 PM
pdw

2,687 posts, read 3,107,849 times

Advertisements

Why don't you complain about some Christians that happen to force their beliefs on other people instead of grouping us all together. Christianity is a religion of peace, tolerance, forgiveness and love. All religions are. It is used as an excuse for evil, but it is not a cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Kind of like this?

And all because he asked me a question and I was kind enough to answer it. "Why are you an atheist?"
Okay, you want to play the generalise and everything someone does who happens to be christian is because they are christian game, I'll play that game. Pol Pot and Mao Tse-tung were atheists who killed millions of people, therefore all atheists are murderers. Don't give me that "well, atheism doesn't have a book that we follow", either. Christians come in as many different shapes and sizes that atheists do.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:16 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,345,342 times
Here's the thing, though. I don't really care about what you think of me or atheists in general. If you want to hate us or lump us all together with Mao or Pol Pot, knock yourself out. I'm no threat to you whatsoever, but if you want to be offended by my beliefs or lack thereof, feel free do so.
Just kindly refrain from threatening me.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:22 PM
pdw

Quote:
Here's the thing, though. I don't really care about what you think of me or atheists in general. If you want to hate us or lump us all together with Mao or Pol Pot, knock yourself out. I'm no threat to you whatsoever, but if you want to be offended by my beliefs or lack thereof, feel free do so.
Just kindly refrain from threatening me.
I don't really think that about atheists, I was showing you what you were saying about Christians but flipping it in another direction so you would understand why it's wrong. I'm not offended by your religious beliefs, and I have no problem with atheists.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:22 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,865,220 times
Quote:
Just ignore them? Let them have their faith? I have no problem in letting them have their faith, but when they try to influence law for everyone else it becomes a problem. Trying to ban abortion because it's an affront to God is a problem. Trying to ban same-sex marriage because it's an abomination according to their magic wizard is a problem. Trying to block assisted suicide because "only God has the right to take a life" is a problem. Quebec is mulling over euthanasia and the nuts are coming out of the woodwork. Why should I have to suffer if I have a terminal, painful illness because some folks believe in superstition?
If their God forbids gay marriage, abortion or suicide, then avoid those things and leave the rest of us alone. They have NO RIGHT to expect others to live life according to their beliefs. They want to worship? More power to them. I don't care if they pray until their knees bleed. Just stay out of my life.
Actually, you are completely and totally wrong here. People have freedom of belief and peaceful protest, and if they don't believe in the same things you do and fight against things they don't find acceptable, even if 99% of the rest of the country disagrees, it is their right. Deal with it. If someone feels abortion is wrong, they can fight it all they want as long as they don't break any laws. But if our democracy is working and the majority of us citizens believe abortion should be available to women, then these people lobbying for a ban against abortion or gay marriage will fail. But it is their right to disagree with you publicly, and protest for or against any issue. You should respect that right, because it is also your right.

Anyways, I'm done with this conversation. Politics and religion are two topics I typically try to stay away from, and this thread has made me see why. Except it's not the religious people who have made my stomach turn this time around.

Last edited by TOkidd; 06-06-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
In Canada, it's really just Chrsitianity that is suffering - other religions are doing fine. And the reason Christian denominations are having such a hard time attracting worshippers is because most denominations have refused to modernize and allow their Church to grow and adapt to modern society. Basically, they have made themselves irrelevant.
Canada's protestant churches are for the most part very liberal. So is the Anglican church. They still have declining attendance, unfortunately.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:30 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,427,532 times
^True, The United church of Canada is proably one of the most liberal churches in the world.

I don't buy all that modernization stuff, If Islam was modernizing how come we don't see homosexuals in mosques? United church opens its doors to everyone.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 06-06-2013 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 05:38 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,865,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Canada's protestant churches are for the most part very liberal. So is the Anglican church. They still have declining attendance, unfortunately.
This is true. My brother lives on the same street as a mostly homosexual congregation in Riverdale - the same one Kathleen Wynne attends. I think it is a United Church, but am not sure. There are plenty of people who have progressive, modern ideals who still believe in a higher power.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,540,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Mouldy would never do such a thing
He sorta did one time. The sad thing is, Mouldy, I would have gladly met you for a cup of a coffee and to chat despite our different beliefs if you hadn't started in with a threatening tone. I don't dislike you.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 AM

564 posts, read 1,041,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
Not in all cases but in many i think those that say no don't know how much people really do suffer.
It is usually related to selfishness on the part of loved ones, refusing to let the person go. They do not want to face the loss so they prolong the agony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada