Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

I assume religious services are exempt from Quebec's language laws.
Its on their radar.Expect religious compliance police in the near future.
PQ to unveil secular

And their plan if the charter is legally challenged.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/08...n_1790796.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:23 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its on their radar.Expect religious compliance police in the near future.
PQ to unveil secular

And their plan if the charter is legally challenged.

Quebec Charter Of Secularism: PQ Law Would Not Survive Court Challenge, Lawyer Julius Grey Says

Jambo's parents never had any problems getting him to obey through stories about the bogeyman or the sandman...

Old 06-27-2013, 11:56 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
Instead of arguing, can I ask you two simple questions, Acajack?
Would you be in favour of allowing English and French to be the same size on signs in Quebec at least if French is present?
Would you be in favour of allowing anglophone immigrants from anglophone countries to attend English public schools in Quebec, the same way francophone immigrants can attend French public schools in the ROC?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM

565 posts, read 672,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
the same way francophone immigrants can attend French public schools in the ROC?
They can't. Acajack and I have already explained this to you.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Instead of arguing, can I ask you two simple questions, Acajack?
Would you be in favour of allowing English and French to be the same size on signs in Quebec at least if French is present?
Would you be in favour of allowing anglophone immigrants from anglophone countries to attend English public schools in Quebec, the same way francophone immigrants can attend French public schools in the ROC?
On the schools, I would actually be in favour of a unified school system for everyone that would teach something like 80% of the day in French and 20% of the day in English. But this is constitutionally impossible in Canada.

As for signs I am mostly in favour of the status quo. Like it or not, the French language (more than having a few hundred thousand citizens who can sing songs from Monty Python or quote the Church Lady from Saturday Night Live) is what makes Quebec stand out in this part of the world. I am not advocating entirely eradicating any language of course, but it's important to me that Quebec look and sound different and unique.

So there you have it.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Jambo's parents never had any problems getting him to obey through stories about the bogeyman or the sandman...
AJ i'm just pointing out the extremes to which this Quebec government will go to to bring about linguistic purity,as this separatist government is the product of the culture you so readily seem to champion i'd say its time for you to own it rather than frivolously equating Quebecs draconian language legislation as being akin to bogieman/sandman stories.
Both my parents were active participants in the second world war and know full well where cultural intolerance can lead.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
AJ i'm just pointing out the extremes to which this Quebec government will go to to bring about linguistic purity,as this separatist government is the product of the culture you so readily seem to champion i'd say its time for you to own it rather than frivolously equating Quebecs draconian language legislation as being akin to bogieman/sandman stories.
Both my parents were active participants in the second world war and know full well where cultural intolerance can lead.
Keep digging that hole!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM

What hole are we talking about that you seem to think i'm digging for myself?,
The only hole i see being dug around here is Quebecs maniacal obsession to make itself into a one dimensional intolerant cultural backwater.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
What hole are we talking about that you seem to think i'm digging for myself?,
The one where your natural allies across the rest of the continent no longer have any time for your gripes because of your propensity to blow every single thing (no matter how small or insignificant) out of proportion and equate it will with, for example, the genocide of six million people.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The one where your natural allies across the rest of the continent no longer have any time for your gripes because of your propensity to blow every single thing (no matter how small or insignificant) out of proportion and equate it will with, for example, the genocide of six million people.
Just pointing out the lunacy of some of Quebecs language laws most of which defy logic, maybe small stuff from your perspective AJ but from an Anglo in Quebec's perspective the suspending of civil liberties is a big deal.As an example, expecting people to abide by laws such as these is absurd
CBC.ca Montreal - Interactive - Highlights from Bill 14
as for allies across the continent ? the Anglos in Quebec have no allies,we're on our own.
And for the equating of Quebec with the Nazis? It was an example of where unbridled intolerance can lead rather than a comparison of the two situations,that said the path to the Holocaust did begin with the denial of civil liberties to the Jews of Germany.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-27-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada