Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times

Advertisements

All that being said about the monarchy and the Queen, I am quite sick of our media's obession with anything related to the "royal family".

The excessive coverage of the royal wedding a couple of years ago, the fact she is pregnant and has a "royal bump", and the recent media attention of Kate's admission into the hospital... anyone else who is tired of it? Both the Toronto Star and the National Post had it as the cover story this morning, which makes me want to puke. Isn't there anything more important to report than something frivolous as guess whether it is a boy or girl, what name would it be etc? Who the f*** cares?

Kate Middleton is entering "early labour". Yeah, we got it. Big deal. There is no need for hundrends of reporters to lurk24/7 outside the hospital to report whether the woman is feeling dizzy and experiencing some sort of contraction. The journalists have in fact nothing to report but had to interview each other. Has our main stream media degenerated into a tabloid like this? Do Canadians really care about this that much? It is worth reporting - she might be having our future head of state, but doesn't it suffice to report after she delivers so that everyone knows she is safe and the offspring is a boy/girl? What's the point of all this minor details about a woman's labour?

Put an end to this. Canada has very little to do with the UK nowadays, why not cut the umbilical cord and focus on something that really matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:21 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,861 times
I agree. Aside from my grandmother (now deceased), I don't know a single soul who gives a flying toss about anything related to these so-called human deities and their self-proclaimed magnificence.

Celebrity worship in general has gotten way out of hand.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 AM

103 posts, read 169,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
All that being said about the monarchy and the Queen, I am quite sick of our media's obession with anything related to the "royal family".

The excessive coverage of the royal wedding a couple of years ago, the fact she is pregnant and has a "royal bump", and the recent media attention of Kate's admission into the hospital... anyone else who is tired of it? Both the Toronto Star and the National Post had it as the cover story this morning, which makes me want to puke. Isn't there anything more important to report than something frivolous as guess whether it is a boy or girl, what name would it be etc? Who the f*** cares?

Kate Middleton is entering "early labour". Yeah, we got it. Big deal. There is no need for hundrends of reporters to lurk24/7 outside the hospital to report whether the woman is feeling dizzy and experiencing some sort of contraction. The journalists have in fact nothing to report but had to interview each other. Has our main stream media degenerated into a tabloid like this? Do Canadians really care about this that much? It is worth reporting - she might be having our future head of state, but doesn't it suffice to report after she delivers so that everyone knows she is safe and the offspring is a boy/girl? What's the point of all this minor details about a woman's labour?

Put an end to this. Canada has very little to do with the UK nowadays, why not cut the umbilical cord and focus on something that really matters.
Its not just a matter of saying today were done with the Royal Family it would take years.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times
If you did away with the monarchy, I don't believe this obsession would recede much. My country began the doing-away process in 1775 and completed it in 1783, and our media and its consumers still go completely gaga over the royal baby bump, just as they did Princess Diana. That's closing on 2.5 centuries of rejection and it hasn't taken.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:

All that being said about the monarchy and the Queen, I am quite sick of our
media's obession with anything related to the "royal family".
That's odd. I've been flipping channels and all I see is American news channels like CNN reporting on Kate.
Celebrity is celebrity, and has no borders.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM

458 posts, read 657,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's odd. I've been flipping channels and all I see is American news channels like CNN reporting on Kate.
Exactly, I have no idea why anyone would think the attention is limited to Canada. If there would be any country other than known British territories that should show interest, it would be Canada.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I know someone would say something like this.
Sure, other newspapers report it too, but NYtimes etc doesn't exactly have a column called "Royal Baby Watch" monitoring everything that is happening, including a baby photo asking canadians

Which prince is this? A look back at the royals as babies

Why don't Canadian get this fact straight: the royal family is a British thing. They have it, It is their culture and heritage. Let's not pretend it makes Canada more interesting and different from the US. Nobody will look at the Queen or the royal baby and think of the word "Canada". Nobody.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
It's not just Canada but the United States as well. The media focuses so much attention on it. It seems as though they are trying to portray Great Britain as some sort of "motherland" to our respective nations even though the United States won independence back in the 1700's. It sort of similar to how Latin American countries view Spain as the "motherland" or "home country" for all Hispanics/Latinos.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Sure, other newspapers report it too, but NYtimes etc doesn't exactly have a column called "Royal Baby Watch" monitoring everything that is happening, including a baby photo asking canadians

Why don't Canadian get this fact straight: the royal family is a British thing. They have it, It is their culture and heritage. Let's not pretend it makes Canada more interesting and different from the US. Nobody will look at the Queen or the royal baby and think of the word "Canada". Nobody.
Now, now. That baby watch thing is no weirder or different than anytime newspapers try to fill space before certain events or holidays with little factoid type articles. Haven't seen a darned thing about the royal baby except on US news and US tabloids, although I'm sure it will be mentioned on our news and in our papers just as there was an article about the old king of Belgium abdicating and the new, seventh king taking the throne.

And if there's a bit more coverage here of the British royal family, hardly surprising, for reasons of history and celebrity. What has always struck me as highly weird is the US fascination with the British royal family, down to having a trashy 'housewife' of somewhere narrating the wedding of Wills.

Last edited by netwit; 07-22-2013 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,957 times
Quote:

They're the royal family for 16 countries/territories. So no it's not just a British thing.

And if you think that only the Canadian media is obsessing over it, you need to get out of your little bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada