Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

What are the biggest farm items that are produced up there? And because of the shorten growing season, is there a special way of marketing it, like is it all organic, family farm raised?

Also, when landing the plane, and flying over the burbs, I noticed lots of american football fields, and soccer goal posts set up. Is american football and european football becoming more popular in Quebec?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:30 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
AMERCIAN FOOTBALL! ???

Now you've done it!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:29 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What are the biggest farm items that are produced up there? And because of the shorten growing season, is there a special way of marketing it, like is it all organic, family farm raised?
The main thing would be dairy. That's the biggest agricultural sector in Quebec. In Charlevoix in particular they have a lot of fine local cheeses - many of Quebec's best come from there.

Other than that there is a bit of cattle, hogs, etc.

And of course, potatoes, corn, beans, apples, squash, strawberries, raspberries, pumpkins, etc. Similar to what they grow in New England.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Also, when landing the plane, and flying over the burbs, I noticed lots of american football fields, and soccer goal posts set up. Is american football and european football becoming more popular in Quebec?
Soccer has been growing steadily since the 1970s and is now the most popular participant sport in Quebec.

Canadian gridiron football has always been present (longer than soccer) but has exploded in popularity over the past 10 years.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The main thing would be dairy. That's the biggest agricultural sector in Quebec. In Charlevoix in particular they have a lot of fine local cheeses - many of Quebec's best come from there.

Other than that there is a bit of cattle, hogs, etc.

And of course, potatoes, corn, beans, apples, squash, strawberries, raspberries, pumpkins, etc. Similar to what they grow in New England.
Yes, a lot of fabulous artisanal cheeses come from there. We make over 300 varieties. When we have the Montreal Highlights Festival, chefs come from all over the world and drool over the fromage.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:30 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Yes, there are some residents of the Old Town, if I recall something like 40% of dwellings are locals and the rest tourist rentals. Most residents live outside the wall though just from the massive amounts of tourists.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
@NJBrazen. Quebec City is impressive. I prefer it to Montreal. (I speak French well, so would do fine in either.) But the problem with Quebec City and Montreal is... THE WINTER! When you live in a city with Quebec's four seasons (June, July, August and Winter), you have to adjust to it and like it. I like winter OK, but more than 3 months of it gets really depressing. For me, that excludes Montreal (br-r-r-r) and Quebec City (double br-r-r-r-r-r) from any list. Too bad.

When you say NYC is "expensive," you mean rents. Food and all (non-tobacco) personal articles are reasonable in the Outer Boroughs. Food, soap and shampoo in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx are cheaper than in much of Canada. Even cheaper than in most Southern U.S. states, which often add sales tax to food items. NY City EXEMPTS food items from taxes except for candy, sodas, and alcohol. (Cookies are not taxed.) That can make NYC's Outer Boroughs cheaper than many parts of the U.S. and Canada for food (but not rents--there, you get hurt; at least Montreal and QC have moderate rents). Again, think long and hard about those long, hard Quebec winters before you try to settle there.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 08-10-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 04:04 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Man, I really need to get up there.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Yes, the rents are very reasonable in Montreal. I recently checked out a fabulous little coach house in the Monkland Village, which is a prime location. One bedroom, two storey, yard, internet and hot water included.
$700 a month. It was gone in less than a day.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:19 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@NJBrazen. Quebec City is impressive. I prefer it to Montreal. (I speak French well, so would do fine in either.) But the problem with Quebec City and Montreal is... THE WINTER! When you live in a city with Quebec's four seasons (June, July, August and Winter), you have to adjust to it and like it. I like winter OK, but more than 3 months of it gets really depressing. For me, that excludes Montreal (br-r-r-r) and Quebec City (double br-r-r-r-r-r) from any list. Too bad.

When you say NYC is "expensive," you mean rents. Food and all (non-tobacco) personal articles are reasonable in the Outer Boroughs. Food, soap and shampoo in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx are cheaper than in much of Canada. Even cheaper than in most Southern U.S. states, which often add sales tax to food items. NY City EXEMPTS food items from taxes except for candy, sodas, and alcohol. (Cookies are not taxed.) That can make NYC's Outer Boroughs cheaper than many parts of the U.S. and Canada for food (but not rents--there, you get hurt; at least Montreal and QC have moderate rents). Again, think long and hard about those long, hard Quebec winters before you try to settle there.
I have been to upstate NY, and Kern County, and restaurants, and groceries, and everyday little items are about the same as the outer boros.

Did I say I wanted to live up there? I dont remember, but I dont think I want to, but I would not mind spending an extended period of time there. I dont think I will mind winters there. If you can last around 3-4 months of winter an extra two should not be a big deal. I will just play hockey longer, or go ice fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada